Apogee Cutlery's Dragon and Dragon Fire Line...

Some time ago I purchased an Apogee Cutlery Yaxell Dragon Fire "Asian Chef's Knife" in BD1N. Obviously, Apogee contracted with the renowned Japanese knife house of Yaxell to bring this line and the standard Dragon line to fruition.

I love the knife. Extremely well made and the steel is fantastic. Despite it's hardness (63) it is very sharpening-friendly and holds the edge quite well yet isn't chippy.

In doing some recent research on more Japanese knives, I found myself again looking at the Dragon Fire line just to see if a certain model was what I wanted. Only now, I was not finding them nearly as easily as I was a couple years ago. When I would find them, they would be on sale and limited models available. One large dealer that sells knives and more used to have the whole line up but now there are very few listings.

I started to wonder if the line had already been discontinued.

So, I called the knife merchant where I had purchased my first one and asked them. I was informed that Apogee had decided to move production away from Yaxell and to China. From what I could gather, the quality and consistency after this move became questionable.

So, just a head's up to anyone who might be after one of the Dragon or Dragon Fire knives, they are no longer being made by Yaxell.

Shame.

Some time ago I purchased an Apogee Cutlery Yaxell Dragon Fire "Asian Chef's Knife" in BD1N. Obviously, Apogee contracted with the renowned Japanese knife house of Yaxell to bring this line and the standard Dragon line to fruition.

I love the knife. Extremely well made and the steel is fantastic. Despite it's hardness (63) it is very sharpening-friendly and holds the edge quite well yet isn't chippy.

In doing some recent research on more Japanese knives, I found myself again looking at the Dragon Fire line just to see if a certain model was what I wanted. Only now, I was not finding them nearly as easily as I was a couple years ago. When I would find them, they would be on sale and limited models available. One large dealer that sells knives and more used to have the whole line up but now there are very few listings.

I started to wonder if the line had already been discontinued.

So, I called the knife merchant where I had purchased my first one and asked them. I was informed that Apogee had decided to move production away from Yaxell and to China. From what I could gather, the quality and consistency after this move became questionable.

So, just a head's up to anyone who might be after one of the Dragon or Dragon Fire knives, they are no longer being made by Yaxell.

Shame.

Little confusing some Apogee's are Yaxell the Dragon Fire is still made. The Dragon Classic is still made and the Dragon Storm their newest version is not necessarily made by Yaxell. Some are some are not. But the Storm is a very pretty and function knife. I wish it had more variety in a full set to get a full set of 25. It is the steel that Apogee specifies that they use in manufacture that sets them apart from Yaxell Dragon. The Apogee if made in Japan or Asia is just a little thicker and harder but only a fraction and the Yaxell slightly softer but only slightly and a slightly bit thinner.

Notice this post a little late. I own a Forgery that also has a knife supply store attached. I do like Apogee Knives, many better than Yaxell, they are thicker and more thought out for the buyer. However, I do not like on the Dragon Storms seeing made in China. Nothing against China, but know to cut corners, mass produce instead of hand inspection and the harder 92 Rockwell blade, I just prefer the Dragon's the Dragon Fires I just trust the quality better. But for the price it is a great knife and even higher cost knives have a hard time beating it's quality, others I like are the Shun Kaji line, but at the wholesale cost, and then being fixed at a certain selling price by agreement to Shun, that is a little hard to stomach when you have a production site with a shop therefore no retail space cost and certainly compete on cost.

Many would say the classic, but that chips a lot and does not have the same edge. But if you're going at that price range as the Kaji is, you can go even sharper CMT Alpha, Delta, Sierra etc. Or even high end Kanetsune knives, sharper. I make Honyaki the sharpest of all, but that is not because of sharpness, it is when setting up a forge, machinery to cut steel, cost of steel, butane. They are made at lower temperatures, through several steps, trade secret, but you can get your hours out of them on retail.

Back