Applicators

wildmanh

Part time Leather Bender/Sheath maker
I'm on Tandy leather Factory's website planning my next order and need to get some new applicators for stains/dyes, sellants and such. Was wondering what you guys liked. Am looking at picking up a 100 pack of Jumbo wool daubers and some spunges.

Do you guys prefer the standard or jumbo wool daubers?

How easy are the spunges to clean and do they clean up nicely?

I'll by buying some more Tandy antique leather stain in various colors and maybe some dyes. Might also try out some Fiebings stain or dyes. I mention what I'll be applying incase it makes a difference. Thanks,

Heber

I use cheap sponges from the grocery store cut up into useful-sized squares for staining, edge coating, and sealing. I use small daubers and sometimes rags for applying dye. I use tons of shop towels in my work.

for dye I use the small daubers, the bigguns are just simply too big.

Rags for the wax and gum trag

I went from using lots of shop towels on a roll to old Tee shirts, when I run out of tee's its back to the shop towels, vicious circle I tell ya.

I just use the cheap foam paint brushes you can find at any wally world for dye and such.

Another vote for cheap foam brushes. I get a 10 pk of different sizes for $1.

I went from using lots of shop towels on a roll to old Tee shirts, when I run out of tee's its back to the shop towels, vicious circle I tell ya.

My wife would tell ya you're onto something there - at the rate I dye up my shirts while working! :rolleyes:

How do y'all get an even dye job with those sponge brushes, especially the lighter colors like saddle tan?

The wool daubers are actually about ten cents a piece and I get a few weeks work out of one before it starts to get a little too saturated. Pretty economical stuff.

My wool daubers keep shedding :( Those little fibers were making me crazy.
Here is how I use the foam brush. I dip the brush in water, squeeze it out really well. Lightly dampen the leather with warm water (I know, most people don't do that). I use just a little dye on the tip and apply in a circular motion. Wipe of any excess. The darker the dye, the more you can load the foam brush, but it tends to just waste dye.

Chuck

My wool daubers keep shedding :( Those little fibers were making me crazy.
Here is how I use the foam brush. I dip the brush in water, squeeze it out really well. Lightly dampen the leather with warm water (I know, most people don't do that). I use just a little dye on the tip and apply in a circular motion. Wipe of any excess. The darker the dye, the more you can load the foam brush, but it tends to just waste dye.

Chuck

Big +1 on that!

I can't stand the little fibers all over the wet sheath. With the foam brush, it's just like he said; load the brush with a little dye, blot it on the lip of the container to remove excess, then apply in a circular motion. I've never tried to dampen the leather, but may try hat next time if it helps.

Ah! Ok, now I see. :) I've not had a shedding problem with my daubers so I missed that entirely.

Mr Stohlman used pieces of sheepskin shearling for his stain work. I've done it a few times, its messy, but for large areas like rifle scabbards it works very well.

I use the foam brushes from the dollar store for some things. I like wool daubers for dye.

I tend to dilute my dye quite a bit and do multiple coats depending on what color or look I want. My last color was chocolate brown and Grand Marnier.

I find that buying some scrap fleece from a fabric store is perfect for applying atom wax and for buffing. :thumbup:

Back