April 2021 BOTM - 104 Compadre with 3V steel

Mine arrived today. The finish on the handle tang was not on par with my other three 104s. It has noticeable grind marks that did not get polished out. On the one hand the buffing compound is highlighting it in the photos, on the other hand they are more noticeable with the naked eye. Of course, this is a camping knife, so not a big deal.

The edge grind is on par with the others, but is the roughest of the four. The grip on this one is in between the SK handle (as expected) and the the other micarta handle. I was wiping the blade off with mineral oil and got some on the handle. Now I think I might have to coat the whole handle with mineral oil.

I need to get my DSLR camera out and take some pics after I figure out the lanyard....

7k2CvEA.jpg
Very nice collection! Did the red come with the option for wood or micarta handles? I had seen both handle style on the red blade and both described as "new in box", but wasn't sure if that was accurate. If you don't know, no biggie, was just curious.

Very nice collection! Did the red come with the option for wood or micarta handles? I had seen both handle style on the red blade and both described as "new in box", but wasn't sure if that was accurate. If you don't know, no biggie, was just curious.

Thanks! I don't know. The red one is the only one I did not buy new from a dealer or Buck.

I decided to give it a try and dye my red micarta handles, using Rit "DyeMore" synthetic dye (Chocolate Brown). Pretty easy to do... after taking it out of the dye bath, I followed with a soak in Rit "ColorStay" dye fixative. Then after it was completely dry (left overnight), I gave it a couple of coats of Renaissance Wax. Oh, and just to be clear about it... I did removed the handles from the knife to dye them.

I'm quite pleased with how it turned out!

rnZrrwP.jpg

While I was at it, I also changed the color on the Web Special 557 Open Season knife I received a few days ago, they were too light for my tastes. I used a Charcoal Grey dye, but it came out looking more like O.D. green due to the original handle color... what the heck, it was an experiment.

Before:
CNuoXQsl.jpg

After:
Ye4RRtKl.jpg

Last edited:
After a very long hold in Customs (17 days) mine has finally arrived. This one mirrors much of what has been said already but with the addition of a rounded tip. So rounded in fact that it won't pierce my skin. No biggie for me though. I had planned on keeping this one as a showpiece but it may just become a user. I'm still satisfied and glad that I purchased one.

I wonder why these examples had different grinds than what we have come to expect from Buck. I cant imagine the steel type had anything to do with it. But maybe so.

So has anyone done anything with this knife? Chop thru the Amazon, and then slice a tomato.....?

I gifted a SK 104 D2 blade to a friend, and he really likes it. I kept the slip sheath and gave the regular Buck sheath. But that sheath is more secure anyways, so....

I noticed Filson has a new variant of the 104 for those of you that must own every possible flavor.... I liked the orange, but missed out.
(Flavor / orange...... get it?. Whatever, I thought it was clever).

If you've done something noteworthy with your 3v knife, please share.
Living vicariously here.
Thanks!

Last edited:
So has anyone done anything with this knife? Chop thru the Amazon, slice a tomato.....

I gifted a SK 104 D2 blade to a friend, and he really likes it. I kept the slip sheath and gave the regular Buck sheath. But that sheath is more secure anyways, so....

I noticed Filson has a new variant of the 104 for those of you that must own every possible flavor.... I liked the orange, but missed out.

Living vicariously here.
Thanks!
I haven't had a chance to use mine but possibly later this summer.

That email from Filson landed in my Inbox early this morning and I purchased the new 104 within five minutes. It's already on the way.

I haven't had a chance to use mine but possibly later this summer.

That email from Filson landed in my Inbox early this morning and I purchased the new 104 within five minutes. It's already on the way.
Great.
Show us some group shots when you get it please.
I'm intrigued by the little brass folding knife they have.

If I didn't have the car insurance bill sitting on the table, I'd probably grab that 104 myself.

So has anyone done anything with this knife? Chop thru the Amazon, slice a tomato.....

Living vicariously here.
Thanks!
I've done some vine chopping with my 3v. works very well. some other minor work cutting weedy wood and yard work type stuff. holds the edge well. great steel.

missed the orange filson... think I'm gonna pass on new olive one as I missed the first orange Filson.

Living vicariously here.
Thanks!
Oh now you've done it. I am one of those that must have every flavor of both the 104 and 106. 😖 $$$👺

The Filson 104 arrived a week or two ago. I do apologize for the delay.
nice set there.

so standard one
buck of the month in d2
buck of the month 3v
Filson one
skblade d2 buck forum one

great set ya got. whats missing red standard one, orange Filson one and thats all of them, so far anyways, right?

Back