April 2021 BOTM - 104 Compadre with 3V steel

I just saw the April BOTM on the large auction site for $199 or BO and $10 shipping... 2 available and 1 sold. I guess we knew it was coming.

Cheaper than the Oct 2020 BOTM 104 D2 for sale @ 249.00, and someone else posted an April BOTM for $225.00.

With Buck now allowing a quantity of 3 per order, this is the new norm.

Well, I finally got around to opening mine this morning. 2 complaints...
1) The box is krinkled/smashed. I'm a collector, that matters to me. edit...Closer examination of the shipping box does show some damage but not to my mind as much as the knife box... perhaps not Buck's fault, who knows what happens once the postal soccer team gets your package...
2) The edge grind on one side does not make it all the way to the choil notch.

Ok, I got more than 2 (not relating to the knife but since I'm whining)
3) The box is way too big. Almost 4" longer than the knife/sheath combo and twice the necessary cross section.
I guess the same could have been said about the wooden boxes. I know alot of you probably pitch the boxes anyways so my #1 and #3 don't matter to you.
4) Now I'm just beling finickey... the packing material... open over a trash barrel and not on the sofa (like I did). Wonder what the packing/shipping area at Buck looks like with this stuff.

Overall I guess the poor edge grind is the most legitimate complaint. Yes, it could be readily taken care of on a user, but I'm not.
Not at all impressed with the sleeve/magnetic latch box system, it's unnecessairly complex and cumbersome. A size appropriate 2 piece box would have been nicer.
Oh for the days of the classic and sturdy buff yellow boxes.....

edit... double that on cumbersome, I just tried putting it back into the sleeve, perhaps because my box is a bit bent.

Last edited:
Mine isn’t here yet, hopefully it will be delivered today. I’m a bit tensed like a kid about to get a whipping on how the edge is ground and the finish after seeing others posted pictures and complaints. That’s a sad way for a loyal paying customer to be. I’ve only had one 303 that the spey blade had a wonky edge on one side but it’s my main user so it’s not a problem. I can understand why someone is upset when they want to display or show their unused knife and it has a noticeable grind that stands out as if a six year old sharpened it.

Oh I didn’t mention that I haven’t received any confirmation or shipping notice. The vantage botm was the same I never heard anything until it just showed up on my front steps in plain view from the street. I was working late that day so I’m glad no bandit saw it. Usually the mail carrier will set it in the vestibule on a table that’s out of the weather and you can’t see it till almost inside the entry way. My son just had a package left on his front steps and the dogs chewed it up even after taping an 8x11 paper to the door with large bold letters to put it in the garage.

We were in Hawaii one time and got the email saying the brown truck would be by (surprise) so I got on the website and discovered they wouldn't do a hold without annual $... but they did offer the possibility of delivery to the place on my property that I specified. So, "back door" seemed pretty reasonable to me. The day it was scheduled we watched the security cam video and the guy ran to the front door, dropped it square in the middle of the porch (yes, in plain view) and left... no attempt to hide it much less deliver it anywhere else. Had to call the daughter and she retrieved it for me. Score: Daughter 1 UPS -1

All is well. Here anyways........
I received mine.

Grind looks good. Micarta good. I really have no complaints.
The steel seems different than anything I've ever had.
Overall I'm pleased with it.:cool:
Hey, it's a camp knife, with indestructible alien planet steel!!! The dang thing hums! :D (too much? yeah,.... ok... it doesn't hum....:oops:)

Dark brown micarta would be cool for a handle, but the red may grow on me. we'll see. .... It's a muted red.

..oh, and in the bottom of the box I got a Certificate of Authenticity for a #0922EKSBP Skinner.
Sweet! Thanks for the heads up! I can keep my eye open for those as I always wanted one, but wasn't able to obtain it while in stock.
(yeah I looked and looked hoping the knife was in the box also. but ...:(....sigh..)

...It's further proof that some of the long out of stock knives from various retailers may be coming back. :thumbsup:
Thanks!

Got it on Saturday, fast shipping but then again we are in Idaho, this knife has now received the official Texas country girl Squeal-of-Approval, lol, Mrs. Texpat loves it! Should have bought two. I too was kinda amazed at the size of the box, but it's very nice, grind is nice and even and very sharp, spine has a few minor grindmarks like some others here have seen, no biggie really as that's an easy fix but seems like somebody could have made a quick swipe with the buffer and dealt with that before packaging, but Buck probably has the same issues right now as so many other businesses just trying to stay afloat during this mess.

May be my imagination, but I swear this knife is heavier than other knives I have that are the same size, that steel must be really something, never owned a blade before in 3V, you can tell you really have a tool in your hand and not a toy. Been a long time since I have bought a carbon steel blade that didn't have a coating and never really knew how much I missed that raw steel look, like blades back in the 60-70's before everything turned into 440C.

All in all very happy indeed, thanks Buck!

I received mine this morning. Decided to do a family photo of 104s:

IvhhP2Y.jpg

73Mh24w.jpg

Mine was here when I got home from work and thankfully the mail carrier put it in the vestibule out of plane sight so that’s a big relief.
The edge grind is acceptable, it could be more even but not to far off and not nearly as wonky as some I’ve seen. It does have the grind marks on the edges of the tang when I look close. It’s a rough use knife and I won’t be entering it in any beauty contest so I’m not worried about it. All together I’m happy with it and looking forward to the next camping trip but I’m gonna do some yard work this week and I can give it some time to earn it’s keep. And maybe do a comparison with the D2 version.

Mine was here when I got home from work and thankfully the mail carrier put it in the vestibule out of plane sight so that’s a big relief.
The edge grind is acceptable, it could be more even but not to far off and not nearly as wonky as some I’ve seen. It does have the grind marks on the edges of the tang when I look close. It’s a rough use knife and I won’t be entering it in any beauty contest so I’m not worried about it. All together I’m happy with it and looking forward to the next camping trip but I’m gonna do some yard work this week and I can give it some time to earn it’s keep. And maybe do a comparison with the D2 version.
lookin forward to your feedback on it and compared to the d2 version.

I received mine this morning. First BOTM for the year, so finally realized what everyone is talking about with that huge box! Couldn't help but laugh when I saw it for myself.
The knife is nice. As others have said, its not a show piece and is built to be a user, but the grind could definitely be better. The "show" side grind is good, but the backside leaves quite a bit to be desired.
Overall, pretty cool knife with an exciting steel for Buck and definitely happy I pulled the trigger!

Back