AR Photos. A closer study. (warning: 34 images)

I have a Sebenza and AR as well and I'll have to say that the Sebe has the better lock up. I think it has to do with the frame lock and the fit and finish that CRK is know for.

My AR when locked up has slight blade play (about 1/100 of an inch.) I think it might get tighter once the knife is broken in, I'm not sure. I do agree with you on the toughness point. The AR is by far the tougher folder and I do like it a better then my Sebenza.

S

As I have stated, I have NEVER handled a Strider folder. But as far as lock up is concerned, my Sebenza feels just like a fixed blade when locked. I don't see how it could be ANY better. The massive frame lock is amazing.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

JW

UR sebenza lock travels too far IMHO. At least no NIB Sebenzas I've handled were going that far.

BTW about the action, Sebenza is quite difficult to open compared to other folders. Let alone Axis, it's takes a lot more effort to open my small Sebenza than the EDC D2 I got, an that one has zero play too.
I'm planing to get the grease from CRK, but in NIB condition it wasn't the easy one. Considering AR size and toughness I wouldn't be surprised if it's more difficult to open.

Hmmmmmm,
The lock covers the ENTIRE blade. That is the strongest a lock could be. It doesn't contact the other handle, so I would say it's perfect. IMHO. Try Militec-1 and heat the action with a hair drier to get the lube to bond with the metal. Works GREAT.

JW

I not sure that I can tighten it. The blade play is not side to side, rather it's up and down. I'm thinking that as the lock liner wears and moves further into the middle, the play might fix itself. Maybe I'm just hopeful. I don't think that it's going to affect performance.

S.

Sidewinder, send your AR back. I've handled a few AR's and none had any play in them. They were all rock solid.

Ketsugo,
The AR is not the only knife that I have owned to get smoother with time. A Carson large model 2 that I had took much longer then my Strider to break in. You don't see many negative comments about Carsons work around here so I figure that a break in period for a high quality folder is not unusual. I have owned a Sebenza and it is indeed a fine knife, just not my thing right now though. From your pics, I would say that your lock does travel too far. On all the Sebenzas that I have seen the lock travels no more then half way.

Frank Q.

The Sebenza is a great knife.So is the AR.I really thought Martial artists had a thing for not going around picking fights.What is your malfunction?Just curious.
troy

Hi Troy,
That is NOT my intention at all. I am just an outspoken individual and can't help but voice my opinions. I actually thought I was pretty tactful (at least for me). Sorry if you didn't see it that way.

Best regards,
John

Troy,

Speaking of martial arts. I've been studying the White Crane System (kung-fu) for over 15 years. Started it when I was 12 years old. However, I still choose not to fight as part of a basic discipline. I guess all that beating I took from my mom and her world famous aluminum bat paid off afterall.

AR: I love the bold look of it. It's design, heft, rough and tough edges shows the path it had walked on to give it it's great reputation it has today. Pure muscle. I like scary looking knives. AR fits the bill. A lot of other knives are great I am sure of that, but they look like they belong in a museum. Being an architect and having a mechanical engineering background, my eyes and hands are trained to decipher the best quality in every material, craftsmanship, lock, nut, function, wherewithal, form, and age prediction. The AR spoke for itself and I didn't have to look closely. I adore a lot of other custom knives. Those that sell for well over $500 but.
Pretty is great, but not necessarily better.

Shelby Chan

Yikes!Aluminum bat.I hope you aren't talking about a baseball bat.I got the belt a couple of times growing up and thought I had it rough.
BTW I forgot to say:Nice pictures of the AR Shelby and nice pictures of the Seb. John.
the pictures alone-all of them-has made this a really great thread.
troy

Thanks Troy! BTW, I just shoot good old 35mm but use good glass (Canon EOS L) and just have them scanned to CD. Shelby, what digital set up are you using?

Here is another couple of pics for your viewing pleasure.

standard.orig

orig.jpg

Thanks again,
John

Ketsugo is a f#cking scumbag. Martial artist? I don't think so. He is just some loser who gets picked on the whole day, and then tries to went out his anger here. He actually makes me laugh, he is so pathetic in so many ways.

But, I think he should be banned from here. Why? Because he purposly flames people. Flaming is against the rules. I have evidence that he purposly flames people for no other reason than to "disturbe the sh!t"(His words)

He posted a link to this other forum where he posts, Animal House,
Here is the link(second post from the bottom)
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=179402&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

I checked out this forum, and he explicitly talks about how "funny" it is to start the flame wars here,
Here are a few examples,
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/message?forumid=141863&messageid=1007352210

and

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/message?forumid=141863&messageid=1007364436

and

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/message?forumid=141863&messageid=1007411527

Those three threads are comments on the attacks he made against me, for no good reason than to "disturb the sh!t" (He post as "JW" there)

There are also comments about other posts

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/message?forumid=141863&messageid=1006383715

This one refers to another flame war he started.

There may be more theread like these but i didn't find anymore, I didn't have to much time to sift through all the sh!t.

JUST READ THE THREADS AND THE RESPONSES AND DECIDE FOR YOURSELF THAT HE IS A SCUMBAG

So Ketsugo, or JW, or what-ever the F#ck you call yourself, are you gonna deny this sh!t? Oh, I know, you're gonna comeout with the whole "I think" routine again, you f#cking punk! Let me guess you're not really a martial artist are ya? You just found some obscure sh!t on the net, and downloaded a few pics and now you claim to be "that guy". Because if you had even then begginers training, you'd have a lot more common sence than that.

2sniper, please quit following me around this place (and the other forums at BFC). I don't think the other members need to be exposed to your insane rantings. Why are you SO obsessed with me? It's time to get a life and move on! Geeeeezzzzz.

What is up with the rounded edges on the handle scales?!!! Aren't those a little... ULP!.... ergonomic?! ;)

:D

Lookin' forward to seeing DD at Timonium again this Sunday.

Back