Are BK9's Still Cool?

Well thanks for that :) realized I needed a couple 13s for my 9s. Have a stainless from overseas with my 7 but just ordered a few 1095 versions from my favorite supplier.

What knives will fit in the smaller knife pocket on the bk9 sheath? Anything besides the bk13?

Well thanks for that :) realized I needed a couple 13s for my 9s. Have a stainless from overseas with my 7 but just ordered a few 1095 versions from my favorite supplier.
where do I find 1095 version? Id prefer something different than 440a or 5cr that they use on their small blades

BK23 fit? lil bk9 look alike.
No! :p:pRemember never judge a book by it’s cover ;) The remora is tiny and will fit. It’s made in USA with 1095 steel that’s much better than whatever the 23 is made with :eek:

Last edited:
My BK9 came a couple of weeks ago. This site is still telling me my camera pics are too big, but you all know what it looks like anyway.

All I can say about it so far is that I really like the handle. I look forward to trying it against my mini Duku and my Skrama. I have no idea how it will compare as a chopper, but I suspect the handle will make it quite comfortable in extended use.

My array of Beckers now includes the 9, the 14, the 16 and a couple of BK62s.

I used my mini duku along with the BK9. BK9 for me all day long. Way lighter, not as tiring , plus I didn't care for how the duku wanted to turn in my hand while chopping.

Not only is my BK9 my favorite fixed blade it really is the only one that I actually use. Over the years mine has moved from stock to stripped, micarta scales, and a custom kydex sheath. Perfect knife!

So much going on in this picture.

Yea... I've been training, but just dry firing, working on my grip and not moving the gun while pulling the trigger. Have 100 rounds and will have 150 more Thursday. Might go to a range next weekend to actually put some rounds down range.

I used my mini duku along with the BK9. BK9 for me all day long. Way lighter, not as tiring , plus I didn't care for how the duku wanted to turn in my hand while chopping.

Those condor choppers are great once you sand down the sides of those big round handles. I like the fact that they're big enough to customize for your own perfect grip.
http://imgur.com/gallery/HxAjXwW

I own the condor golok. It is really nice in many ways but the first 3 inches or so are SOOOOOO incredible obtuse, and basically couldnt cut a god damned thing. Is your parang like that?

I own the condor golok. It is really nice in many ways but the first 3 inches or so are SOOOOOO incredible obtuse, and basically couldnt cut a god damned thing. Is your parang like that?

The blade on the Golok is 6mm thick at the root. There is quite a bit of distal taper, while the bevel is a constant width, so the angle becomes more acute toward the tip. The Condor parangs are thinner, with a much higher grind, so, no, they are not as obtuse as the golok at the base. The parangs can work fairly well as a knife. The Golok is pretty much just a chopper.

Since this thread is near the top I’m going to answer the OP.

Absolutely yes. The BK9 is cool. It can fill a lot of roles, and it’s backed by a great company, warranty, and history.

It’s one of those classics you can spend some money on for some nice pants and scales. Strip it, bring it to a high polish, or add a patina.

Or, keep in stock form and beat the ever loving crap out of it.

For big boy use and abuse the BK9 (and BK2) reign supreme.
The BK9 is not cool ... it defines cool! Seriously, it does it all.
A BK9, a Tweener and a SAK would do one well anywhere in the world.

It’s called “The King” for a reason.

Heck yes, it’s cool! It’s manageable enough one can carry it, and still get things done in the field, but not so large that it is unwieldy and awkward on the belt - like one is carrying a telephone pole on them.

The blade on the Golok is 6mm thick at the root. There is quite a bit of distal taper, while the bevel is a constant width, so the angle becomes more acute toward the tip. The Condor parangs are thinner, with a much higher grind, so, no, they are not as obtuse as the golok at the base. The parangs can work fairly well as a knife. The Golok is pretty much just a chopper.
I have a condor kukri machete and it has tbe same distal taper/consistant bevel situation. I want to and I've been thinking about reducing the grind angle for half of the blade but I'm too convinced I'll botch it all up. It's all inside a recurve where i'd have to start moving metal. I have a ken onion worksharp and a bunch of gritty little belts but the belt tension's not too strong. I'm afraid that if i try to grind down the upper part of the bevel, the belt will at some point flex around and round off the cutting edge. As a pro, do you think I should try it with the handheld grinder, a file, or just not mess with it?

I have a condor kukri machete and it has tbe same distal taper/consistant bevel situation. I want to and I've been thinking about reducing the grind angle for half of the blade but I'm too convinced I'll botch it all up. It's all inside a recurve where i'd have to start moving metal. I have a ken onion worksharp and a bunch of gritty little belts but the belt tension's not too strong. I'm afraid that if i try to grind down the upper part of the bevel, the belt will at some point flex around and round off the cutting edge. As a pro, do you think I should try it with the handheld grinder, a file, or just not mess with it?
My mistake Henry Beige Henry Beige , for some reason I thought you were listed as a knifemaker.
http://imgur.com/gallery/n5zVYON

Back