Are knife makers still putting steel bolsters on their knives?

I have not seen many knives recently on the forum with steel. nickel silver, or brass bolsters. Have the newer knife makers decided these are not needed or desirable? Does anyone dovetail their bolsters or shape them? Are nickel silver lanyard holes out of fashion also? Am I a fossil for liking these things on a sporting knife? Larry

Now that you mention it I have not see many as of late. I know brass just about fell off the map and does not seam that ascetically pleasing on knives any more. Same with the high polished blades. I think part of it is the huge influx of new people trying to make knives. As soon as you toss a bolster on there you just elevated the project to a much higher level then just slapping scales on a pointy bar of steel. I have found my self personally gravitating twords more hidden tang blades. Maybe that's just the result of forging more and using less and less flat bar stock. You know I have not seen a lot of nickle silver on knives lately. I have seen stainless and of corse damascus but very little nickle silver and ever less brass.

But back to your origanial question weather or not your a fossil. You can like what ever you want Who are we to judge. My current favort material to work with is copper. Just finished a sheath for a seax order and it has A lot of copper. What a fun metal to work with and texture. Lots of people don't like copper on knives but it just fit the project. Next step will be to try and make bronze for my next seax.

I'm looking forward to the comments on this subject. It might be just a change in how people see knives today. I personally like the look of bolsters on a knife. It might be a cost issue? Or it looks to much like a buck knife.

The one thing I do know is normally I get good interaction on my wip's on facebook. I started posting on my last knife with bolsters and have had almost no reactions.

I do bolsters or a guard on almost everything, unless I’m making a knife at the lowest cost possible. I’ve used mostly black g-10 for guards and bolsters lately, as black is really popular at the moment.

Now that you mention it I have not see many as of late. I know brass just about fell off the map and does not seam that ascetically pleasing on knives any more. Same with the high polished blades. I think part of it is the huge influx of new people trying to make knives. As soon as you toss a bolster on there you just elevated the project to a much higher level then just slapping scales on a pointy bar of steel. I have found my self personally gravitating twords more hidden tang blades. Maybe that's just the result of forging more and using less and less flat bar stock. You know I have not seen a lot of nickle silver on knives lately. I have seen stainless and of corse damascus but very little nickle silver and ever less brass.

But back to your origanial question weather or not your a fossil. You can like what ever you want Who are we to judge. My current favort material to work with is copper. Just finished a sheath for a seax order and it has A lot of copper. What a fun metal to work with and texture. Lots of people don't like copper on knives but it just fit the project. Next step will be to try and make bronze for my next seax.

Pics didnt load.

I like bolsters, especially stainless or damascus ones. Like Willie said black G10 or carbon fiber seems to be more popular at the moment. And yes, I think I have some mammoth of your vintage Larry :p

for me and I imagine others its time and equipment. It has taken me as long to broach a slot in steel as it does to complete the entire knife, so i gave up on it until I have a bridgeport or at least a decent drill press. For alot of knife makers you are not just making stuff you like you are making a custom knife; something that the customer wants. We also have lots of incredible materials now that hold up pretty well where steel and metal alloys are not needed. Then there is the aesthetic aspect, trends come and go. Scagel and Loveless style knives are timeless though. Id like to think that as my skills improve and I add more and abilities I will eventually be able to make faithful recreations.

In discussion with Knifemaking friends, we cannot believe some of the prices that slab handled knives have elevated to. Yes it is more time consuming to do bolsters but the customers we have do not ask for the bolsters. Instead of the time to broach for a full guard, more just want a nice deep finger slot.
I think a lot of designs look better with guards and bolsters.

Yep, some of us are. In my experience, they sell just fine, but the higher price point sometimes makes them move a bit slower.
IMG_2431-e1476540579787.jpg

IMG_2422-e1476149546592.jpg

I don't like much bolsters on a fixed blade. I mean 2 pieces pinned bolsters on a flat stock, but i like integral and slotted bolstered knives, generally speaking.
I like bolsters in folding slipjoints, more steel's than brass made ones.

Dovetail bolsters... in my own opinion they can look very nice and elegant if they are not too steep and when combined with a good bit of contour and thin profile of the handle's sides. The "Bridgeport ways" look from spine view is not appealing to me.

I have to imagine a lot of this is due to how many of the new makers simply can't fit guards, bolsters, or finish blades.
As I mentioned in your thread on mirrored blades, I do it. If you go by the trends, my using knives are definitely outdated. Mirror finished hollow grinds with tapered tangs and dovetailed bolsters aren't seen too much these days, but that's pretty well what I make for using knives. I'm sure that stems from the makers I've always looked up to being guys like Loveless, Hale, Warenski, ect.
Clearly there must still be people who like them as I can sell them as fast as I can make them. Although interestingly I've never been able to sell the trendy sharpened prybar stuff to save my life.
I've noticed a very slight resurgence recently, and traditional knives have been becoming a bit more popular too. Maybe the market is on its way to correcting.
I'm not sure that the sort of traditional stock removal knife ever really stopped selling, they just became a bit less mainstream. Despite what trends may be, there is always that portion of people who like shiny things

Interesting question Larry. I use lots of brass and nickel silver. Acutal numbers from the last batch I just finished, the sheaths are over there drying on the counter as I type.

Orders:
Nickel silver bolsters: 9
Brass bolsters: 18
No bolster: 7

Knives for In Stock to be sold on our website:
Nickel silver bolsters: None (cause I ran out of ns bar. Next batch will have quite a few).
Brass Bolsters: 13
Non bolstered knives: 6

Regrind and rehandle a factory knife:
No bolster: 1

Other knives sent in for my sheaths:
Stainless guard: 1
Non bolstered: 3

My own knives back for additional sheaths:
Brass: 2

Brass is not dead amongst my customers, very alive and well actually. I have one order coming up for a copper bolster. I did the last one about 10-12 years ago. Bout the last time I did a stainless bolster too.

It should be noted that the vast majority of my sales are to traditional minded folks: ranchers, cowboys etc.

I do bolsters usually from stainless and a few Nickel Silver. It really is just an aesthetic thing on a fixed blade since designs have changed to include a finger choil on many knives and bolsters really serve no specific function on a fixed blade.

It does not "bolster" a fixed blade the same way it "bolsters" a folder.

I do find it funny, we spend time tapering tangs, drilling holes, adding fullers all to remove weight and then we slap on 2 slabs of steel, copper or brass and add weight back on lol

DOTjbvQ.jpg

Beautiful knife Adam!

After much thought on the functionality of bolsters I have come up with these ideas. Nothing set in brass or nickel silver here just my thoughts. I like how a bolster centers the balance on my index finger, the knife is neither blade heavy or handle heavy. I think in heavy use a bolstered knife is more durable. I do mine with peened pins and JB Weld. I think that allows the front of the bolster/handle area to be sealed more effectively than just a handle alone with the front of the handle being the weak point of any knife. They protect the handle material from the bumps, drops and just plain roughness of life. Anyhoo my ideas of what a bolster does.

I do multipiece scales with ebonite or G-10 as a bolster material often. I have never done a metal bolster, but it's on my short list of things to try. As a new maker, I'm just trying to get proficient at one or two things at a time. For me it's a marathon, not a sprint.

As a new guy and a "young buck" I personally love the traditional style knives. I'm not a fan of "tactical " knives or sharpened prybar.
I think the bushcraft crowd is probably one of the reasons more traditional type knives might not seem as popular.

Also where do you gentleman get your bolster/guard metals? I can't seem to find 416ss. Thought about just getting silicon bronze from AKS on my next order

I've bought 416 from Pops, Trugrit, and Jantz at various times and places. It's about all I use for bolsters or guards, although I do have some NS and brass on hand.

Back