Are knives legal for minors in Illinois

hi. I am a 16 Y/O and I have started comuting the the city (Chicago) each day. I have started to carry a simple Swiss Army knife with a knife scizors and bottoe opener (I don't drink of course) I am now curious though if I am allowed to carry this small knife (about an inch and a half long) in Chicago or the greater cook county area. Also because this thread is public, I would also like to know if knives are allowed for youths younger that 16. Thanks in advance
Mikal

There are no knife laws for the State of Illnois that are specific to minors. Everyone has to obey the same laws regardless of age, and this is the case for most state laws.
The knife laws themselves prohibit a variety of the usual weapon-intended knives, but a Swiss Army Knife like yours falls well outside that.
http://www.knifeup.com/illinois-knife-law/

I did find Chicago's Municipal Code does prohibit carry a knife with a blade longer than 2 inches
(c) No person 18 years of age or under shall carry, possess or conceal on or about his person, any knife, the blade of which is two inches in length or longer.

Source: http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gate...tm$3.0$vid=amlegal:chicago_il$anc=JD_8-24-020

Your knife has a 1.5 inch blade and is therefore fine.

Cook County has a prohibition on concealed weapons, but it only applies to fixed blades like bowie knives or daggers.
https://library.municode.com/il/cook_county/codes/forest_preserve?nodeId=TIT3PORE_CH3MIMI_3-3-6WE

If a cop sees you have a knife they will take it and you will not get it back. Unless they make a report and add it to evidence. Regardless of the laws.

If a cop sees you have a knife they will take it and you will not get it back. Unless they make a report and add it to evidence. Regardless of the laws.
I would not advise making declarations such as this. This sub-forum is about law, no unproven, unsourced accusations of state-wide professional misconduct.

Just saying what I know to have happened before. It may come useful to the op regardless of the law.

hi. I am a 16 Y/O and I have started comuting the the city (Chicago) each day. I have started to carry a simple Swiss Army knife with a knife scizors and bottoe opener (I don't drink of course) I am now curious though if I am allowed to carry this small knife (about an inch and a half long) in Chicago or the greater cook county area. Also because this thread is public, I would also like to know if knives are allowed for youths younger that 16. Thanks in advance
Mikal
You can carry any knife as long as it is not one of the banned knives and that you do not have the intent to harm someone or break the law.
  • Disguised knives like cane knives, belt knives, and lipstick knives are legal.
  • Throwing knives are legal.
  • Switchblades and other automatic knives are illegal.
  • Bowie knives and other large knives are legal.
  • Balisong knives are legal.
  • Ballistic knives are illegal.
  • Throwing stars are illegal.

Wrong. Doing that would also be a blatant 4th/14th amendment violation, agency and city would be on the bad end of civil liability for such an act.

There are lawyers (and reverends) who make very good livings off such things, it's disgusting to see how much major cities pay in settlements annually. Most (if not all) of that is completely avoidable. If something like that happens to you, that should be your first call. Fortunately, contrary to what the leftist "new media" and idiots on twitter want you to believe, most LEOs actually are honest and don't abuse people and their civil rights.

My uncle was a NYC police officer. He helped start my knife collection with things that he removed from miscreants.

That's how I got my first Nazi dagger, switchblade and OTF. Believe me, everyone would rather lose a knife than get convicted of a NYC weapons violation. Nobody ever complained or reported him.

My uncle would rather let a stupid person go free than imprison someone for breaking an unjust law or do paperwork :) But hey, that was before 911 and the militarization of America.

LEO officers are just people with guns and power. Just like everyone else they are dishonest, they abuse people and violate civil rights. Just not all the time :) and some are better or worse than others. The difference is cops have power...and power corrupts. Security guards are worse, may Trayvon Martin rest in peace.

One thing I learned as a kid, protect yourself from the cops by knowing the law, when you break the law do it consciously, do it surreptitiously and when confronted by any kind of authority, keep your mouth shut.

Carry your swiss army knife in your pocket and don't act the fool and you'll be OK. If asked if you have any weapons always say "NO." Never tell any cop that your knife is for protection, it's always just a tool. Try not to give them "probable cause" to stop you, that means don't stare at them, ignore them, and make eye contact only when necessary.

Back