Are leather sheaths becoming obsolete?

There was a time when every knife in the frontier was safely holstered in a leather sheath.

Even as recent as 20 years ago, leather sheaths were still THE thing. Nowadays, kydex, concealex and other exotic materials are manufactured for knives.

Of course, leather sheaths are still being made but somehow I have the feeling they are playing second fiddle in the current rage for exotic material sheaths.

Has the leather sheath lost its lustre? Will it fade quietly into the boondocks where muskets and long bows gone to rest?

Personally, I am still sentimental about leather stuff. Ahhh....the smell. And the knowledge that a hardworking and passionate man had put in his finest efforts into its creation - that's pricelss.

:)

No, I don't think so. There are only a few makers and secondary artisians that have mastered kydex in my opinion. Most production kydex is just plain aweful as is a lot of custom maker's ability to turn out a good sheath. Some folks like Neil Blackwood, Bill Seigle and Trace Rinaldi make excellent kydex sheaths. A lot of the other makers still have a lot to be desired. Secondary sheaths from Eric at On Scene Tactical, Skunkworks and Mike Sastre are the cream of the industry.

Leather sheaths on the other hand are a main stay. A lot of custom makers turn out fantastic sheaths. Ever hold a sheath made by Ed Fowler or Ron Clark? Just incredible? Even production companies like Buck have done a great job with their sheaths. Secondary leathersmiths like Kenny Rowe and the recently sabaticalled Gary Graley make incredible products.

I like both....they both have their place but leather will always have its place. In fact, most knife nuts are not in environments that demand kydex sheaths and can get by with leather just fine. A little bees wax and neatsfoot oil goes a long way with protecting your knife. Using simichrome on your blades all but eliminates the concern for rusting and staining.

It's a great choice to have. I just can not for the life of me picture the new Jerry Fisk Camillus bowie coming in kydex. Sure you can get one made, but why? The same thing can be said for seeing a TOPs knife in leather. Just doesn't fit in my opinion.

Choices are wonderful. Like rock and roll, leather is here to stay.

I think that what you say about leather sheaths could be said about stag handles too. If you are looking for the toughest materials to built the indestructible knife, perhaps stag and leather are not what you need. But if you are looking for the beautiful knife, in my opinion nothing looks better than a stag handle coming out from a leather sheath!
Since building knives is not only a question of toughness but also a question of taste, I think we always will find beautiful knives in beautiful leather sheaths, in the handmade cutlery above all.
Bye

Kydex is great for some applications. Newt Livesay and Bob Dozier are two more who do excellent Kydex work. My favorite use for Kydex is in sheaths for neck knives.

But you aren't likely to see my Marbles Fieldcraft on my belt in a Kydex sheath any time soon. That would be like sacrilege.

Ah...yes. Bob Dozier. Thanks Coonskinner. I omitting him from my very short list of excellent kydex sheath makers. Perhaps the best maker out there for making kydex sheaths.

IMHO, custom kydex sheaths are like custom leather sheaths. When it's done righ you know it. Everything just works and the material is unnoticed.

That said, I think the short list of folks who have mastered Kydex is much shorter than the list of those who have mastered leather. There are very few knifemakers who are also good sheath makers, REGARDLESS of the material being used. Sheaths are a whole different skill set than the knives themselves.

So far I haven't found a single production Kydex sheath that works. This may just be part of the learning curve and hopefully we'll see rapid improvement in this area. But to say that leather is obsolete is really streatching it. I have a couple leather sheaths that are over 50 years old and still just fine. Let's see how a 50 year old Kydex sheath works.:D

>"I recommend Pecard's Leather Dressing for your leather sheaths. Won't weaken the leather like neatsfoot oil."

==================================

What about Kiwi Mink Oil? Will that weaken the leather?

Originally posted by mnblade

What about Kiwi Mink Oil? Will that weaken the leather?

Any petroleum based oil will weaken (soften) the leather. I believe that Mink oil is petroleum based. Try finding a synthetic based product. Silicone spray works well. Remember, this is not a ball glove that you are trying to soften. Just like a gun holster, you want your sheath to maintain some rigidity and support. You don't want a soft, sloppy sheath for your knife, or you probably won't have your knife when you get home!

Hello folks,

If leather sheaths should leave, so do mirrorpolishes :D Kydex or concealex don't like mirropolishes nor coatings.

Nah, IMHO leather will never vanish, it is very possible however that kydex/concealex leaves, when some production company finds some better plastic.

Leather sheath can be made as strong as kydex, while holstering a knife even better.

Kydex has it's place tough, for neckknives and stuff that can rot away, for example when going trough dense humid jungles and stuff.

But let's face it.. how many knives put out on the market today actually see a swamp or a jungle??

And then there is off course the beauty aspect... there is no way you can make a leather sheath look soo beautifull as leather.

Greetz and take care, bart.

Other sheaths are much better for utility. That being said some knives just look better in leather. Stag, bone, sheep horn, etc.... just don't look right in Kydex.

:D

Leather definitely still has a place in the sheath world. Actually, I often prefer leather.

I use “Sno-Seal” on my leather sheaths. It keeps the sheath waterproof, prevents carbon steel blades from rusting, and doesn’t seem to deform leather like the various oils do. Awesome stuff. And there’s nothing like sitting around a roaring fireplace at camp, working Sno-Seal into my gear. Very relaxing. :cool:

I don't like kydex at all, for any knife. It just makes to much noise for me. Leather on the other hand smells great, is quiet, and is secure enough for me, although not as secure as kydex.

I guess kydex for an IWB sheath kydex would make more sense, or for a neck knife, but that's about it, and I don't have a need at the moment for either of those two configurations, so I am set for the time being.

I think its more expensive to make an acceptable quality leather sheath (key words acceptable quality)than an acceptable quality kydex or concealex sheath. I think that for wet environments kydex offers advantage if its done well. Leather, is nice for dry and or cold environments. Its quiet in use, and pleasing to the eye. But I would imagine, its more expensive to do leather well. I think leather will be around for a long time. Its just more appropriate for some knives than others.

Its a question that will never be answered and so, needs to be asked. Its like asking about polymer frames on pistols vs. milled steel or polymer rifle stocks vs. black walnut. Which is better? Greta Garbo or Julia Roberts? You get into the difference between art and science, beauty and function, a '57 Thunderbird or a DeLoren; eether or eyether. Its in the eye of the beholder and how it will be used. To me, an art knife or a classic custom could only be at home in leather. Or a Ka-bar, because that's where it was born. A modern tactical knife might feel right at home in kydex. But either one needs to be done right or the end result can be crap.

So, in an effort to bump threads that mattered back onto page 1, after the onslaught of spam last night, I went to the last page of BF to see what was out there in the catacombs, and found this little gem on the 2nd to last page that I thought was worth another look now that 15+ years has passed since the last response...

Love to see where folks stand on the issue now, nearly 16 years later...

I use both leather and kydex....sometimes i have both for the same knife. I agree with the early comments - leather isn't going away.

As has been pointed out, kydex is great for some knives...I just don’t happen to own any of that type of knife...said another way, if it doesn’t have a leather sheath, I don’t buy it...it’s all a matter if taste, I guess...

Cheers/bg

So, in an effort to bump threads that mattered back onto page 1, after the onslaught of spam last night, I went to the last page of BF to see what was out there in the catacombs, and found this little gem on the 2nd to last page that I thought was worth another look now that 15+ years has passed since the last response...

Love to see where folks stand on the issue now, nearly 16 years later...

I recommend Pecard's Leather Dressing for your leather sheaths. Won't weaken the leather like neatsfoot oil.

Leather definitely still has a place in the sheath world. Actually, I often prefer leather.

I use “Sno-Seal” on my leather sheaths. It keeps the sheath waterproof, prevents carbon steel blades from rusting, and doesn’t seem to deform leather like the various oils do. Awesome stuff. And there’s nothing like sitting around a roaring fireplace at camp, working Sno-Seal into my gear. Very relaxing. :cool:

I, for one, am very glad you brought this one forward! I've been using Pecard's and Sno-Seal for years, and recently went over all my leather sheaths and pouches again with Pecard's. I have a bottle of neatsfoot oil that my father must have bought back when he was living and doing leather work, and have wondered if I should be using it. I guess not. Thanks for the advice!

For me it's beauty vs utility. Leather sheaths and leather stacked or aged ivory handles with a Damascus blade on a knife are hard to beat for looks. In the field for utility I'll take kydex, or nylon if you need quiet, for a sheath, micarta or G10 for a handle, and 1095 in carbon steel or S30 or better stainless for a blade. Just like rifles, Circassian walnut stock mile deep bluing and tasteful engraving are beautiful. But I'm grabbing a synthetic stocked stainless barrel & action to drag around in the rough stuff. Same reason I don't wear my custom tailored suits to do yard work.

Back