Are leather sheaths becoming obsolete?

Fair enough :)

I think the two main reasons plastic sheaths have become so popular are that they are cheap and easy to make

I think in prouduction knives it is easier for a company to produce a better quality plastic sheath than a Leather one.

As for sheath makers it is a very small investment for a guy to get into Kydex sheath manufacturing where it is a bit more involved in cost and talent level to do Leather

so it makes sense that one would be more popular when most people buy a prouduction fixed blade with a poor quality leather or factory plastic sheath to have a Kydex sheath make 35 to 55 bucks vs a high quality leather sheath say 100 to 300 bucks

Also there is a number of Kydex benders that keep a large amount of prouduction knives on hand to use as molds and most Leather smiths ask for the knife to be sent in

So time and cost wise it’s easier and quicker to go with plastic

I’ve traveled the globe and I’ve seen many Proffesional outdoorsmen and in my experience they all seemed to prefer Leather and took the approach that it had to be maintained much like their leather boots, saddles, etc

I have been involved in the world of knives for 4 decades and I’ve worked the largest knife show in the world for many years where I have the opportunity to meet and see many people and what they are carrying. Regretfully to add to the tacticool comment when I’m at a show and someone shows me a nice fixed blade in a Kydex sheath it’s usually being carried by someone who is also carrying the 2 pound over built folders and I’m not gonna say much more about that :)

Yes I have seen some very well made carry systems based around Kydex but for me nothing will ever carry or feel like Leather. I carry center line and for the same reasons a leather belt feels better than a nylon one a plastic sheath with clip will never pull into your body and move with it the same as Leather

Like I said for me plastic has its benefits like marine applications and certain military applications where it is being mounted to Molle gear etc but even than the hybrid Kydex and Leather creations available today like from Daniel Winkler are imho much better options

So a simple answer is when your looking for a cheap , quick sheath option or a marine application Kydex is king. But to each his own
I understand and agree on many of your points, the craftsmanship in a fine leather sheath is amazing. The main thing I disagreed with was your insinuation that kydex was a tacticool item and that leather is superior. They each have strong and weak points, that is a fact. It doesn't matter how many people on earth love leather, it doesn't change the physical properties, advantages and disadvantages of either material. Your opinion isn't fact any more than mine, but coming off insulting with an opinion that isn't addressing the very real advantages of one of the materials was in my opinion worthy of disagreement.

Your a strongly opinionated person and I respect that, I am very much the same. Agreeing to disagree is part of what makes us civilized.

As to the folder comment, hell I'm all over the place with folders lol In this day and age everyone should buy what they enjoy.

I own a farm and hunt as well as spent a few years active duty not to long ago. I'm pretty familiar with knives, their sheaths, and pros and cons. I butcher dozens of animals a year from emus to cows with many critters in between.

No, leather sheaths are not obsolete. I prefer leather over plastic or kydex, but do have all three. I have crappy sheaths and I have great sheaths made of all three materials. Some of my knives have multiple sheaths of different styles and materials. Just as there is no one knife or tool for all tasks, the same for it's sheath or pouch. Sometime in the near future someone will ask if kydex is obsolete.

I understand and agree on many of your points, the craftsmanship in a fine leather sheath is amazing. The main thing I disagreed with was your insinuation that kydex was a tacticool item and that leather is superior. They each have strong and weak points, that is a fact. It doesn't matter how many people on earth love leather, it doesn't change the physical properties, advantages and disadvantages of either material. Your opinion isn't fact any more than mine, but coming off insulting with an opinion that isn't addressing the very real advantages of one of the materials was in my opinion worthy of disagreement.

Your a strongly opinionated person and I respect that, I am very much the same. Agreeing to disagree is part of what makes us civilized.

As to the folder comment, hell I'm all over the place with folders lol In this day and age everyone should buy what they enjoy.

I own a farm and hunt as well as spent a few years active duty not to long ago. I'm pretty familiar with knives, their sheaths, and pros and cons. I butcher dozens of animals a year from emus to cows with many critters in between.

Was no way insulting you ...hope you didn’t take it that way

I did mention what I like plastic for

Marine applications like fishing ,kayaking ,etc

Not sure why people take someone else's choice in sheath material personally. It's like at the grocery when they ask you 'paper or plastic?'. Are you going to stand there arguing with the guy who chose the opposite from you? Arguing about sheath material is just as silly IMO. Interesting to discuss but something silly to fight over.

Was no way insulting you ...hope you didn’t take it that way

I did mention what I like plastic for

Marine applications like fishing ,kayaking ,etc
I'm good Joe, didn't take it as an insult but I do like kydex and I'm not tacticool (not anymore at least :D).

One could argue leather is more tacticool since people have been using leather for bow and arrow quillows, guns, and knives to kill people for much longer than kydex :p

Neither sheath is tacticool to me. Both have their place, I love and have both, as I said before. The mindset kydex is tacticool is an opinion, one I don't agree with, that's all I got left.

Chris

I think some people underestimate the strength and toughness of a well-made leather sheath. They're not exactly delicate.

By the way, I heard that Kydex is now obsolete and now there's a new material that's similar but better...

Not sure why people take someone else's choice in sheath material personally. It's like at the grocery when they ask you 'paper or plastic?'. Are you going to stand there arguing with the guy who chose the opposite from you? Arguing about sheath material is just as silly IMO. Interesting to discuss but something silly to fight over.

No one is fighting and I understand and respect Chris’s opinion

I'm good Joe, didn't take it as an insult but I do like kydex and I'm not tacticool (not anymore at least :D).

One could argue leather is more tacticool since people have been using leather for bow and arrow quillows, guns, and knives to kill people for much longer than kydex :p

Neither sheath is tacticool to me. Both have their place, I love and have both, as I said before. The mindset kydex is tacticool is an opinion, one I don't agree with, that's all I got left.

Chris

They both definitely have their place and I enjoy the conversation ...thank you

I think some people underestimate the strength and toughness of a well-made leather sheath. They're not exactly delicate.

By the way, I heard that Kydex is now obsolete and now there's a new material that's similar but better...

do tell Sam

What I would like to see is a Hartsfield style sheath with titanium and leather

They both definitely have their place and I enjoy the conversation ...thank you
I too enjoyed our chat, thank you as well, Joe.

I'll second this wasn't fighting, many threads devolve into fighting here, but this wasn't one of them. Sharing opinions and seeing opposing views is part of what makes bladeforums great.

I think you're referring to me but idk, I am interested in what I may be missing though, spill the beans!

Perhaps leather holds up better to hot water and soap then I imagine they do? I can admit I haven't washed my leather that way because I was under the impression it was bad for the form of the sheath.. a drain hole would be nice on a leather sheath though, and aid in drying.

do tell Sam

What I would like to see is a Hartsfield style sheath with titanium and leather

Well I heard about it from @Storm Crow, something with a fancy name that sounded even more futuristic than "kydex." I believe he said he's "never looking back" or something to that effect. It's because I only offer leather sheaths made by Ms. Oye, but I have a diving knife to make and it needs a hard plastic type sheath! :D Storm Crow is a real gent and will make the sheath for the dive knife.

Ti core Hartsfield sheath is totally doable. It would have to be bent close to shape with heat, then "unrolled" since it's so springy, and then the inside would be lined, the core sealed and the sheath finished.

I think you're referring to me but idk, I am interested in what I may be missing though, spill the beans!

Perhaps leather holds up better to hot water and soap then I imagine they do? I can admit I haven't washed my leather that way because I was under the impression it was bad for the form of the sheath.. a drain hole would be nice on a leather sheath though, and aid in drying.

Well I'm not pointing the crooked finger of blame at you, but reading the thread it seems like quite a few folks think leather sheaths are more delicate than they are, but of course that depends on how well they're made. Ms. Oye made a sheath for me out of horse's ass leather that was so tough it rolled and crushed the steel punches she was using to make thread holes. The leather was barely over 1/8" thick but felt like flexible iron.

Just the other day I was thinking about the straight box-like leather sheaths that come with a lot of my knives, and thinking that they could be open on the bottom, just like you're saying, for cleaning and drying!

There are some really nice leather conditioners and compounds that protect the leather from the elements and keep them supple and beautiful through all kinds of abuse and wear.

Well I'm not pointing the crooked finger of blame at you, but reading the thread it seems like quite a few folks think leather sheaths are more delicate than they are, but of course that depends on how well they're made. Ms. Oye made a sheath for me out of horse's ass leather that was so tough it rolled and crushed the steel punches she was using to make thread holes. The leather was barely over 1/8" thick but felt like flexible iron.

Just the other day I was thinking about the straight box-like leather sheaths that come with a lot of my knives, and thinking that they could be open on the bottom, just like you're saying, for cleaning and drying!

There are some really nice leather conditioners and compounds that protect the leather from the elements and keep them supple and beautiful through all kinds of abuse and wear.
Never had a horse leather sheath, of course, we don't eat horse down here either:p

I do love a well made leather sheath, when I move to a state that allows it, I'll carry a fixed blade in leather like Joe does. I usually have different knives for different purposes, so I'd still keep kydex in my stable.

Ya wanna know why it was horse butt? Look down at your feet. Almost all shoes and boots are made from horsehide. That industry wants large square pieces of leather. What's left to us little guys? The strips they cut off at the butt to make the hide rectangular. So its called horse butt strips. Great leather by the way very dense. Makes great holsters and sheaths and we use it for horse headstalls too. As its a remnant its pretty inexpensive. So why is it used for shoes and boots? For the same characteristics that makes great holsters and sheaths. Horsehide once formed and stretched to a shape does not keep on stretching, cowhide does. Problem with the horsehide butt strips is they are odd shaped pieces, not very wide. Ya might get a couple sheaths out of a strip but you are not gonna cut out sixty sheaths like I do with a side of saddle leather. The other problem is its not always available. Sourcing it is here and there.

My wife makes CCW purses that incorporate her IWB holsters in them. She exclusively uses horse butts for her IWB holsters whether sold alone or as part of the purse system.

XnckbIX.jpg

This holster is horse too.

wxWjqla.jpg

Ya wanna know why it was horse butt? Look down at your feet. Almost all shoes and boots are made from horsehide. That industry wants large square pieces of leather. What's left to us little guys? The strips they cut off at the butt to make the hide rectangular. So its called horse butt strips. Great leather by the way very dense. Makes great holsters and sheaths and we use it for horse headstalls too. As its a remnant its pretty inexpensive. So why is it used for shoes and boots? For the same characteristics that makes great holsters and sheaths. Horsehide once formed and stretched to a shape does not keep on stretching, cowhide does. Problem with the horsehide butt strips is they are odd shaped pieces, not very wide. Ya might get a couple sheaths out of a strip but you are not gonna cut out sixty sheaths like I do with a side of saddle leather. The other problem is its not always available. Sourcing it is here and there.

My wife makes CCW purses that incorporate her IWB holsters in them. She exclusively uses horse butts for her IWB holsters whether sold alone or as part of the purse system.

XnckbIX.jpg

This holster is horse too.

wxWjqla.jpg

That's the stuff! I thought the horse butt leather was amazing...although Oye prefers to use cow. X]

It's fun to compare all the different subtle differences between steels for blades. Well, there's a whole world of beautiful leather out there as well, and they all have their own look and feel. The Oye sheaths are normally cow, but have an applique' of fine leather that's nice to touch. Deerskin, elk, bison, etc.

This one is elkskin on cow:

3B9DuFX.jpg

l43Hbkj.jpg

This was the one with horse inside and deerskin on top, never did get any good photos of it or the blades:

Vv7JwW0.jpg

578VfUG.jpg

These are plenty rigid enough for a big long sheath, but they can flex side to side a bit along with the flexible blade, which is a plus.

I have been involved in the world of knives for 4 decades and I’ve worked the largest knife show in the world for many years where I have the opportunity to meet and see many people and what they are carrying. Regretfully to add to the tacticool comment when I’m at a show and someone shows me a nice fixed blade in a Kydex sheath it’s usually being carried by someone who is also carrying the 2 pound over built folders and I’m not gonna say much more about that :)

Hey, my heaviest folder is slightly less than one pound. ;)
Of course, I may be carrying two pounds of folders, depending on what I narrow down my choices to that day. :D

Here is a neat sheath from a Winkler knight Collaboratiion that someone just posted on the custom forum

Looks like a Leather Kydex meddle

DfgTXsK.jpg

Back