The “Can’t leave anything alone” Thread

Thanks to all who replied so far! As you can tell, im a fan of modded knives. Makes them more personal. Although a great modder is neccessary.
I disagree that modding makes knives loose value. A terrible modded knife, yes. But we are talking production knives...they basically loose value when you take them outta the box. (With some exceptions) So why not mod them to our liking?

It's no secret that I can't leave anything alone;)

Camillus Aftermath- Full flat ground, forced patina and ano'd
20190331_175454.jpg

Spyderco Tatanka- Dave'd with a dagger grind (old pic)
screenshot_20171109-153150-png.794906

Benchmade Bedlam- Dave'd and acid washed
screenshot_20180419-150842-2-png.890829

I got WAY into anodizing for a while as can be seen here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/custom-titanium-anodizing.770502/

And there's a ton of mods by members in this thread: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/knife-mods-did-it-yourself-show-off-your-work.1529522/

WValtakis WValtakis i didnt realize there was already a thread. Oh well, another mod thread cant be bad! Lol. Im a tinkerer too. Lots of ano-ing. Subtle ano-ing. Love it.
Gotta keep our creative minds going!

Some ano work...
81A4A1E7-ABF8-4D69-BA93-941D5E6F1769.jpeg
Cheburkov Toucan - Screws, thumb stud, and backspacer ano’d bronze.
66E52916-10E7-4D24-A5E9-6F8AD894DEE5.jpeg

59678489-5BF7-4E31-87DA-5053B704A599.jpeg
Large Starbenza 21 - Millit clip and wilson bead ano’d bronze, and bead lapped to fit properly for the standoff. Yes yes, emerson bead on a CRK. Lol. Whatever, i like it!
50B31E61-08B0-43F2-AF29-A58E6A23B1F2.jpeg
Boker Exskelibur ano’d “oil” bronze. This knife is now in my buddys pocket. ;)
WValtakis WValtakis

The Rukus 610 is my weakness. I've had a number of new scales put on, and two have been rebladed by the amazing Josh.

This is a reblade by Josh and Fredrik Haakosen -- a PhD metallurgist who uses A8(mod) steel because it is extremely tough (used for wood chipper blades) and has amazing edge stability. It's basically unbreakable and, with a custom heat treat, holds an excellent edge. Josh did the beautiful regrind and Fredrik did his incredible the heat treat. The scales are carbon fiber, aftermarket from Benchmade.
2v2Efg59qxAWtWs.jpg

Below is another reblade by Josh. The blade is made out of Vanax SuperClean, which is the toughest of the powder stainless steels, has extremely good edge retention, is super stainless and is fine-grained so that it easily resharpens into a very keen edge. The silver twill scales are aftermarket from Benchmade.
2v2JSUmZ3xAWtWs.jpg

The top two here are custom scales by Steve Ketchen.
2v2EeE45WxAWtWs.jpg

Steve did amazing work. He did the ironwood scales on my Manix. Too bad he seems to have dropped off the face of the Earth.

When I think of customized production knives, my mind also jumps to Olamic knives though I didn't include mine in that photo because with Olamic you don't need to go aftermarket, they offer so many customization options you can make their knives look however you'd like straight from the factory, like this sampling of some of my Swish knives shows:

nLVDnvo.jpg

Hfuk7Y9.jpg

IG6KDDh.jpg

When I think of customized production knives, my mind also jumps to Olamic knives though I didn't include mine in that photo because with Olamic you don't need to go aftermarket, they offer so many customization options you can make their knives look however you'd like straight from the factory, like this sampling of some of my Swish knives shows:

nLVDnvo.jpg

Hfuk7Y9.jpg

IG6KDDh.jpg
I'm assuming it's pretty spendy to get them to customize them like that?

nLVDnvo.jpg

Hfuk7Y9.jpg

IG6KDDh.jpg

Man these knives look sexy. I guess I'll own one of them someday.

I’m loving this thread! Thank you all for contributing.

I'm assuming it's pretty spendy to get them to customize them like that?

Yes, they can get pretty pricey. The base model is something like ~$475, IIRC, and there are some combinations of the basic options that will take the knife up into the $1200+ range (e.g. damasteel blade with the acid rain pattern). Some of the ones carved by an artist with some intricate pattern push up into the $2k range.

They have a million options though. Different hole patterns? Sure. Different shaped holes? Sure. Different handle textures? Sure. Inlays of every sort of neato material? Sure. Blade coatings and finishes? Sure. Handle coatings and finishes? You betcha. If you look at the pages of past knives in the "shop" section of their site you'll see what I mean.

Back