The “Can’t leave anything alone” Thread

Thanks! Josh did an amazing job on it. It's so thinly ground that it's hard to even get a focused photo of it, especially near the tip. It's like the camera can't tell it's a three dimensional object! If I were ever called to do surgery on the fly (woe to my imagined patient), I would use the Roadie. Oh, and these two puppies as well :cool::

ptN1Thu.jpg

(Spyderco Whale Rescue blade in H1 with handle by Knockwood Blades, and a Case Doctor's Knife in jigged bone.)
Dude that Whale Rescue is the tits!

Yes, they can get pretty pricey. The base model is something like ~$475, IIRC, and there are some combinations of the basic options that will take the knife up into the $1200+ range (e.g. damasteel blade with the acid rain pattern). Some of the ones carved by an artist with some intricate pattern push up into the $2k range.

They have a million options though. Different hole patterns? Sure. Different shaped holes? Sure. Different handle textures? Sure. Inlays of every sort of neato material? Sure. Blade coatings and finishes? Sure. Handle coatings and finishes? You betcha. If you look at the pages of past knives in the "shop" section of their site you'll see what I mean.
I've been interested in their swish but the price for their customization options puts me off. I'd rather just do the work myself on a base model.

When I think of customized production knives, my mind also jumps to Olamic knives though I didn't include mine in that photo because with Olamic you don't need to go aftermarket, they offer so many customization options you can make their knives look however you'd like straight from the factory, like this sampling of some of my Swish knives shows:

nLVDnvo.jpg

Hfuk7Y9.jpg

IG6KDDh.jpg

If some of the other knife companies set the bar (CRK) then Olamic high jumped over it.

IMG_0603.jpg

Gotta love the professional modders featured here with regrinds and scales. I often perform small mods to correct little things like a pocket clip or uncomfortable flipper tab. I also may sand down a spine to change the profile. Sometimes I do a regrind to make a knife cut better. I find it enjoyable to mod a knife to my preferences. If it reduces the value I'm OK with that.

It took me a long time to like diet coke... now I order nothing but...

It took me a while to love the 'Spydie Hole' in the blade... now it is a thing of beauty!

diet coke uses aspartame as a sweetener - in rat studies shows significant increase in brain cancer
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1392232/ (the UK paper which goes into it- but done in Italy)
of course, in the USA, the initial controversy was re-examined and downplayed, and aspartame ended up being labelled safe

(personally, I'd rather be on the safe side in case I drank a lot of diet coke)

I do love mods on knives - I'll post some of mine when I manage to get some time to take pics

diet coke uses aspartame as a sweetener - in rat studies shows significant increase in brain cancer
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1392232/ (the UK paper which goes into it- but done in Italy)
of course, in the USA, the initial controversy was re-examined and downplayed, and aspartame ended up being labelled safe

(personally, I'd rather be on the safe side in case I drank a lot of diet coke)

I do love mods on knives - I'll post some of mine when I manage to get some time to take pics

for what it is worth, my wife is a dietary fanatic, and I have been forbidden to drink any diet drinks, actually any sweetened drinks... now water and coffee for me!

Back