The “Can’t leave anything alone” Thread

More Benchmade, more wood, but a different and simple mod--removing the hideous orange backspacer from my Crooked River and replacing it with standoffs. I prefer open construction anyway and, while I thought I could live with that backspacer, it bothered me having a knife I liked so well with a single feature that turned me off.

@Keyman had written that .175" was the correct size for standoffs, but unable to find them had bought .190's and taken them down. I was lazy and tried to take down the .190's I'd picked up on the closest thing at hand--a diamond hone from my EP--but gave up after getting only .002" off one of them after about 10 minutes. Instead of going to the trouble of trying any one of several other methods that might actually involve getting up and moving, I figured that .015 over a couple inches only caused the liners to be substantially less than half a degree out of parallel so I put the slightly reduced standoff in the front position and the untouched in the rear. I used a couple spare black BMK clip screws I had kicking around to replace the receivers, I can't see the size difference front-to-back, the knife functions fine, and the standoffs make a really good knife look great. :D

TJUBN7k.jpg

70eBTBS.jpg

Last edited:
You can defintely run that risk when getting into mods...but for me thats the trade off for being able to exercise my creative side. I build and create a lot of things, and it makes
me feel like ive accomplished something. Its very satisfying. Especially when the finished product turns out how i wanted it to. I love working with other people as well, creating a thing of beauty together. And the friendships ive made while modding are worth it to me. Thats the way i see the money spent/lost. We cant take it with us when we go. But i can totally see your point.
Totally agree.

Like many other things for me, collecting knives, working on them, buying and selling them is a hobby not a business. It brings me pleasure and is somewhat fulfilling, both in and of itself as well as being able to share it through a community such as BF. There are those here only to buy and sell and I suppose some may make a few bucks doing so, but most of us are here because we just like knives and sharing experiences with others. I don't expect this pastime to be either profitable or zero sum.

I listen to jazz and collect CDs and LPs because it brings me pleasure and expands my horizons. I work in our woods and fields when we're up in Vermont as it's satisfying and fulfilling being a steward of the land and part of the chain that started before and will continue after me. I run a youth travel basketball league and club because it's great to give kids the opportunity to play, learn, grow, and have fun. Any of these might be done for profit, but that's not what I get out these pursuits.

Like S&F says, though, I can see that the cost of certain activities might outweigh the pleasure and satisfaction that might be derived from them. As with everything, YMMV.

Subtle details.....

Custom back spacer I made for the mini-Dejavoo: brass, g-10 and stainless steel layered. Also hand made the brass pivot pin bushing to match; standars is phosphorbronze in color.

Center the blade and improved the detent some.

View attachment 1138257

Now thats what i like to see!! Excellent. Looks fantastic! What knife is that?

It’s a Benchmade 745 Mini-Dejavoo.

Knife is flawless. I don’t carry it very much in my rotation. I think mostly because it’s tip-down carry.

Thanks ScooterG ScooterG .

I feel like there are a few modders out there who deserve recognition! What a better way to do it than a thread dedicated to modded knives and shout out to the modders! :)
Thanks for adding to the thread!!

O ourgon
That looks amazing! Nice job! I havent tried ritdye yet.

Back