Are Rough Rider knives durable?

Hi everyone, I am new here, but everybodys been great so far. Now, onto the important stuff. I used the search function but havent found anything, so my question to all of you is, are Rough Rider knives durable? I saw a youtube video of someone breaking some Rough Riders(doggonerunning or something) and Im a bit worried. Ive never had one, and I want to buy a RR premium select congress for whittling. So, those that use RR knives, are they tough? I use Case knives usually, with no complaints.

I have purchased 3 Chinese knives. Only one RRider. All three were clunky and appeared to be confected by 3rd graders. But the most irritating thing was that the nail nicks were shallow, making it difficult to open them. Threw them all away.

I have purchased 3 Chinese knives. Only one RRider. All three were clunky and appeared to be confected by 3rd graders. But the most irritating thing was that the nail nicks were shallow, making it difficult to open them. Threw them all away.

My experience has been very different than yours. I think Rough Rider makes lovely knives, that have great fit and finish. I have traditional pocket knives made by a number of different Chinese companies and they are all very well executed.

Q4qFweu.jpg

DPz2DEd.jpg

I don't agree that they match Case quality. I have only had a few case, but none came with large gaps between the scales and liners or extremely warped blades like some of my Rough Riders have. That said, I still think they're a good value and will continue to buy them and use them. They make great users. I don't think you'd get something you'd regret for the money.

As for durability, a wine knife from Rough Rider I bought about a month ago and have used maybe 5 times now has a large chunk of bone missing and has large gaps and side to side play in the corkscrew, not to mention the one overly strong and one overly weak spring it came with. Just my experience.

On the other hand, I had a couple Rough Rider barlows that I mercilessly beat the heck out of for a couple years and they were great. I think it varies.

I may have been lucky, but I haven't experienced any QC issues like warped blades, liner gaps, or cracked scales, I have at least a dozen Rough Rider knives.

Awesome! Thanks so much :) Thats a real shame, I was thinking their sodbuster line looked pretty good. The jigged bone looked like a cheap alternative to a Case version. Glad I saw this. Thats pretty bad.
As far as I know this only seems to be an issue with the large sodbusters. The smaller ones have a different type of rivet and I've experienced no issues with mine.

"Gaps are barely noticeable" is very different than no gaps. I can see the gaps in the photo. But I have gotten much worse from RR than that particular example. The main blade is way off center toward the mark side. I'm surprised that doesn't rub. The quality of the bone covers and dye is poor. The shield is the thickness of aluminum foil.

There are differences between this knife and a Case knife. I think the unfair comparisons are due to the price. The ones that are falling apart just a few posts away are dismissed because they are cheap. The gaps are dismissed because they are cheap. The low quality covers and dye are dismissed because they are cheap. I'm not saying they are garbage but I think the way that the knives are compared to knives made by American manufacturers is not accurate.

Hard for Case to beat this one. Especially considering it was <$10. No blade rub. Gaps are barely noticeable. Springs are flush in open and closed positions. (Excuse the dirty, cut up hands)

View attachment 795295 View attachment 795296 View attachment 795297 View attachment 795298

Last edited:
I guess I've been lucky and have just got good ones. I have owned a bunch of them and not a bad one yet. Fit and finish has been more than acceptable considering they are less than $20. I guess you can get a bomb in any knife. Also they are very sharp out of the box. The one's I have actually used I used hard because they are inexpensive and I wasn't easy with them. Some folks don't like them because they are cheap and imported but that doesn't bother me at all. I think they are the best bang for your buck traditional knife available if you are looking for something inexpensive to use as a beater.

"Gaps are barely noticeable" is very different than no gaps. I can see the gaps in the photo. The main blade is way off center toward the mark side. I'm surprised that doesn't rub. The quality of the bone covers and dye is poor. The shield is the thickness of aluminum foil.

There are differences between this knife and a Case knife. I think the unfair comparisons are due to the price. The ones that are falling apart just a few posts away are dismissed because they are cheap. The gaps are dismissed because they are cheap. The low quality covers and dye are dismissed because they are cheap. I'm not saying they are garbage but I think the way that the knives are compared to knives made by American manufacturers is not accurate.

It's an $8 knife. What do you expect. You nitpick it like it should be on par with knives 5-10x the price. I was blown away that it was as nice as it is for the price.

Maybe I've been unlucky with newer Case knives. Almost every one I've owned has had off center blades and blade rub. I've had the shields fall out of 3 of them. Blade grinds are always way off. For the price they cost I'll pass. If I want a good Case I look at used from the 60's, 70's, & 80's.

It's an $8 knife. What do you expect. You nitpick it like it should be on par with knives 5-10x the price. I was blown away that it was as nice as it is for the price.

Maybe I've been unlucky with newer Case knives. Almost every one I've owned has had off center blades and blade rub. I've had the shields fall out of 3 of them. Blade grinds are always way off. For the price they cost I'll pass. If I want a good Case I look at used from the 60's, 70's, & 80's.

"It's an $8 knife. What do you expect." That is my point. The faults are overlooked and then when pointed out, the response is that it's cheap.

Enjoying a $8 RR knife is different than favorably comparing it to $35 Case knife. The knife is what I expect of an $8 knife. I don't think it deserves a favorable comparison to a $35 knife that's made in the USA.

The knife can be enjoyed without it being better than everything else. The favorable comparison is unnecessary and inaccurate.

1970 and earlier were golden years for Case. I usually avoid the late 70s and 80s. I am supportive of any American company making knives. There aren't many left. But I am still objective. Case is not perfect but I don't think a comparison that favors RR is accurate.

Ive owned at least 14 or so RR's and aside from the large sodbuster all of them have been at least as well built as my current production Case knives.
When I order a Case knife I cannot be sure if I'll get a decent one or not. Half the time there will be a poor dye job, weak snap, liner gaps, off-centered blades, and poorly ground edge bevels.
I know Rough Rider produces lemons also (although ive never met one) but if I were to order a dozen knives from each company I'd be confident that the RR bunch would have more consistent quality.
I'm a fan of Case (and of US jobs) however and still purchase their knives when I can pick through them, but if I simply needed a decent slipjoint and had to order online I'd feel safer ordering RR.

Ive owned at least 14 or so RR's and aside from the large sodbuster all of them have been at least as well built as my current production Case knives.
When I order a Case knife I cannot be sure if I'll get a decent one or not. Half the time there will be a poor dye job, weak snap, liner gaps, off-centered blades, and poorly ground edge bevels.
I know Rough Rider produces lemons also (although ive never met one) but if I were to order a dozen knives from each company I'd be confident that the RR bunch would have more consistent quality.
I'm a fan of Case (and of US jobs) however and still purchase their knives when I can pick through them, but if I simply needed a decent slipjoint and had to order online I'd feel safer ordering RR.

In my experience, I would just as easily pick out the same flaws with those RRs as I did in the previous photos.

Consistent quality is only better if it is consistently higher quality. In my experience, I'm 100% likely to get get an inferior product from RR. I'm 100% likely to get poor cover materials from RR. With respect to the sowbelly pattern, I'm 100% likely to get a RR sowbelly with a spey that rubs the liner. With respect to the medium stockman, 2 out of 3 of the RR 725 had blades resting on each other or the liners...
djROvC3.jpg

Etc. My experience and opinion of the knives is completely different. The part about American jobs, I can't comment on since politics aren't allowed. That's a major topic though. Consumers will demonstrate their values with their purchases. But just examination of the knives alone reveals differences. I don't think it's realistic to compare the quality of RR favorably to a knife made in the USA...and hopefully the RR knives don't contain 300x the acceptable levels of lead or other toxic materials like the fidget spinners pulled from a major retailer.

Last edited:
I will admit I am biased, I do love Cases, but... Ive had mixed results honestly. Most are good but theyve put out some real lemons too. Ive had blade rub, weak springs, poor grinds and on and on... I try to hand pick when I can because Case seems to put out every knife that comes off the line. Or maybe the quality control guy is a drunk, I dont know. Lol I love Case, but Ive seen some that are pretty rough. Im hoping the RRs will be good, but if not, Ill find them a good home.. or work them to death.. lol

I had some more thoughts that I will preface with the fact I am a Case fan and have been for many years. I also am old enough to remember many other American knife production companies thriving such as Schrade, Colonial, Camillus and such so the choices we once had have narrowed in the number of brands available to the consumer today.
In 1972, Case was sold to American brands ending nearly 100 years of being a family owned company. Supratentorial is right most collectors feel that was the last year of consistently great knife production from Case. Others will argue that it was in 1975 when Russell Osborne passed away ending his tenure as president. Either way Case began to have a lot of inconsistency in fit and finish however I have noticed personally over the last few years it seems they have really stepped up their game in that department. and IMO are back on tract but still not as good as those older knives. I have never really researched Rough Rider Knives but I am correct that they are the result of a collaboration between Smokey Mountain Knife Works and Blue Ridge Knives. Seeking to manufacture a good inexpensive knife that was fairly consistent in fit and finish they, like so many knife companies from Buck to Spyderco sought out a good Chinese knife manufacturing company to make these knifes for them and IMO they were successful in their endeavor and began the production of the Rough Rider Brand. The factory they use also makes other quality inexpensive knives like Marbles and Colt.
The point of this is that comparing these two brands is like the old saying of comparing apples to oranges. They are both knives but also totally different from each other and as such you will always ruffle some feathers by making these comparisons. Even though they are manufactured offshore for cheap labor cost to be able to sell Rough Rider at the low price point they do there will always have to be a difference in the quality of materials used between them and Case because of the cost limits to purchase materials that must be in place to keep the prices low.
I think the real question here is three fold.
1.) Are Case knives really worth four or five times more than Rough Riders IMO it depends on the knife and it's intended purpose.
2.) Does Rough Rider make a good knife IMO yes.
3.) Are Rough Rider Knives worth buying IMO yes.
There are many reasons to buy a Rough Rider one it's a way people can afford to own and try out different patterns without breaking the bank but collectability is low for anything but the fun of it because they are so inexpensive.
There are also many reasons to buy a Case knife they are highly collectable, are of good quality and have a wide variety of traditional patterns available however they are more pricey and some folks just can't afford them.
I could go on but I'm sure your tired of reading. :D:D

I had some more thoughts that I will preface with the fact I am a Case fan and have been for many years. I also am old enough to remember many other American knife production companies thriving such as Schrade, Colonial, Camillus and such so the choices we once had have narrowed in the number of brands available to the consumer today.
In 1972, Case was sold to American brands ending nearly 100 years of being a family owned company. Supratentorial is right most collectors feel that was the last year of consistently great knife production from Case. Others will argue that it was in 1975 when Russell Osborne passed away ending his tenure as president. Either way Case began to have a lot of inconsistency in fit and finish however I have noticed personally over the last few years it seems they have really stepped up their game in that department. and IMO are back on tract but still not as good as those older knives. I have never really researched Rough Rider Knives but I am correct that they are the result of a collaboration between Smokey Mountain Knife Works and Blue Ridge Knives. Seeking to manufacture a good inexpensive knife that was fairly consistent in fit and finish they, like so many knife companies from Buck to Spyderco sought out a good Chinese knife manufacturing company to make these knifes for them and IMO they were successful in their endeavor and began the production of the Rough Rider Brand. The factory they use also makes other quality inexpensive knives like Marbles and Colt.
The point of this is that comparing these two brands is like the old saying of comparing apples to oranges. They are both knives but also totally different from each other and as such you will always ruffle some feathers by making these comparisons. Even though they are manufactured offshore for cheap labor cost to be able to sell Rough Rider at the low price point they do there will always have to be a difference in the quality of materials used between them and Case because of the cost limits to purchase materials that must be in place to keep the prices low.
1.) Are Case knives really worth four or five times more than Rough Riders IMO it depends on the knife and it's intended purpose.
There are many reasons to buy a Rough Rider one it's a way people can afford to own and try out different patterns without breaking the bank but collectability is low for anything but the fun of it because they are so inexpensive.
There are also many reasons to buy a Case knife they are highly collectable, are of good quality and have a wide variety of traditional patterns available however they are more pricey and some folks just can't afford them.

I wasn't tired of reading that, Randy. Nice, informative post that I learned something from.

I've read many times the comments from those who consider 1970 and earlier Case knives to be the best quality from Case but I never knew there was a solid explanation for it. I didn't know the brand was sold in 1972 so that helps me understand the concept a little better.

Is the current Zippo enterprise the same as the American brands that you mentioned above or did the Zippo buyout happen even later?

Dates from Levine's Guide...
W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Co. Bradford, PA 1905-present
H.N. Platts left 1911
J. Russell Case d.1953
John O’Kain retired 1971
Russell B. Osborne d.1975
1972-1988: division of American Brands
1988-1991: owned by James Parker
1991-1993: reorganized by River Associates
1993-present: owned by Zippo manufacturer

There were a lot of manufacturing changes as well as changes in ownership. There were many but a couple of examples are... changes in the materials for the liners and the grinds on the blades. Etc.

Case was in rough shape when Zippo saved them. Zippo also bought back some of the factory collection.

I was never really a Case collector though I'm sure many mistake me for one because I do stick up for them in the internet beat downs. As a collector of traditional knives, I support companies that are trying to continue the American cutlery tradition. I also support efforts in other countries to continue their traditions as well.

But the first knife that I bought with my own money was a Schrade 8OT (That's the USA Schrade company ;) ). At that time, there was no internet. Most folks bought local at retail prices. The Schrade 8OT was cheaper than the Case knives sold locally. It wasn't until much later that I owned my first Case knife. I do like Tony Bose and enjoy his collaborations. But I own/owned a lot more knives from other brands. Like most collectors my collection grew much larger than my actual needs. Collecting is a luxury not a necessity. I survived for many years with only one pocket knife.

Now days the internet sure makes things a lot easier. If I shop the secondary market, I can buy a new or good condition American made knife at pretty much any price point.

It's good to be happy with what you have. But so often on the internet, something is either the best or the worst... perfect or horrible. But that's not an accurate representation of the world. There's a lot of middle ground in life. I can like something and still point out its flaws. A low price doesn't make those flaws disappear. It just makes them more tolerable. Lots of good products are made in China. Try buying a computer that doesn't have any parts from China! I'm not sure that it exists. But I don't think the RR knives are of the same quality as knives from Case. Even if you cherry pick one that has the least amount of fit issues, it's still not a higher quality knife. It's a lower quality knife with less fit issues. That doesn't mean China isn't capable of making high quality knives. And that doesn't mean that RR doesn't make knives that are of reasonable quality. ...And that's ignoring all politics (a big topic).

Last edited:
Great post! Well said

Back