Are Rough Rider knives durable?

While I agree with the sentiment, Opinel is a style/pattern all of it's own. RR knives are of different patterns. Also, where are the $8 Opinels at? I don't have any yet and that should be remedied ;)

Well when I typed that, I did a quick search and $8 came up. :) Right now, Baronyx, a BladeForums dealer, has them for around $14 except for a "Grade B" No. 7 that's running at $8.97 right now due to a rust mark on the blade.

Funny that this came up, as I just bought my first Opinel today! Lol I ordered a #8 with a leather sheath off of the internet this morning. Cant wait to get it! Actually this thread helped me with the decision.

Opinel is a classic. A simple knife but that is part of its beauty. They even have them at the Museum of Modern art. I do suggest keeping the joint dry though so that the wood doesn't swell at the pivot. Shouldn't be a problem for wood carving. By the way, they make an Opinel with an unfinished block handle that you carve yourself. If you do an image search on the web, you can find some really cool carvings that people have made.

Last edited:
Opinel is a classic. A simple knife but that is part of its beauty. They even have them at the Museum of Modern art. I do suggest keeping the joint dry though so that the wood doesn't swell at the pivot. Shouldn't be a problem for wood carving. By the way, they make an Opinel with an unfinished block handle that you carve yourself. If you do an image search on the web, you can find some really cool carvings that people have made.
Thats pretty cool, not bad for such a humble knife huh? Id love to have one of those block handle ones, I bet there are some really incredible ones out there.

I like the design of that stockman, just wish they made it in a bone or jigged bone scale.

Rich

I like the design of that stockman, just wish they made it in a bone or jigged bone scale.
Rich

They have in the past; you might still find some around on the auction sites.

v4bFkb8.jpg

From the top, their model numbers are: 407 brown stag bone, 406 dark red, 890 yellow comp, 372 light brown.
They are 3⅜" closed and are a great pattern, one of RR's best ever.

Wow! Every time I ask about a RR, you post pics of all the variations past and present. You must be a RR collector from the start of RR. Keep it up, I love seeing all the RR pics even if I'll never find one.
Rich

Well everybody, my knives came in! Ive been sick all day, so I didnt get to go use them. But, wow! They seem pretty great for the money. The premium select model is my favorite so far, a baby copperhead. Its drop dead gorgeous. But they all seem good for the most part.

Another Rough Rider convert! I keep wanting to pick up a few more since they are so affordable, but I just don't "need" any more knives. (But since when does that matter? ;) )

Another Rough Rider convert! I keep wanting to pick up a few more since they are so affordable, but I just don't "need" any more knives. (But since when does that matter? ;) )
It doesnt lol Just come up with some excuse, or say the price was too good to resist. Lol

Unfortunately they arent all perfect. Im goig to return a couple. I bought a dog bone that has a broken lanyard and lanyard peice, and a stoneworx small toothpick that has 2 cracks in a piece of pearl. But Im still mostly pleased.

Unfortunately they arent all perfect. Im goig to return a couple. I bought a dog bone that has a broken lanyard and lanyard peice, and a stoneworx small toothpick that has 2 cracks in a piece of pearl. But Im still mostly pleased.
I had the same problem recently, the keyring was missing on one and the second's blade needs to be mended a lot. I asked for the chain and keyring but the seller preferred to send my money back, including postage. This says a lot about the real price...

I had the same problem recently, the keyring was missing on one and the second's blade needs to be mended a lot. I asked for the chain and keyring but the seller preferred to send my money back, including postage. This says a lot about the real price...
On mine, the lanyard pin was broken off on one side but jammed into the liner, and pinched the lanyard which broke it, not that it took alot to do that.. and the spey blade actually broke my thumbnail. Ive never felt a harder pull, ever. It was pretty bad... I am sending back the stoneworx and that dogbone jack today, and asking for replacement items. But if they have issues, I will just get my money back at that point.

Back