Are Rough Rider knives durable?

To update everyone, the RRs are still holding up. I carried my yellowhorse congress yesterday, and it worked just fine. The one Ive used the most is the marbles bonestag 3 blade trapper. I used it quite a bit while trapping in the winter, it performed perfectly. It has become one of my favorites actually. And for skinning, it woked beautifully. It doesnt hold the worlds best edge, but that "razor sharp" steel works about as well as Case tru sharp Id say. I dont think Ill be getting a bunch more, since they seem to be a gamble on whether youll get good examples or not, but I like the ones I have. The one real problem Ive had is with a RR fishing knife, which has gotten significant blade play after being in my tackle box and being used (abused) and not maintained well. But I have heard that I can tighten it back up so I will try.

To update everyone, the RRs are still holding up. I carried my yellowhorse congress yesterday, and it worked just fine. The one Ive used the most is the marbles bonestag 3 blade trapper. I used it quite a bit while trapping in the winter, it performed perfectly. It has become one of my favorites actually. And for skinning, it woked beautifully. It doesnt hold the worlds best edge, but that "razor sharp" steel works about as well as Case tru sharp Id say. I dont think Ill be getting a bunch more, since they seem to be a gamble on whether youll get good examples or not, but I like the ones I have. The one real problem Ive had is with a RR fishing knife, which has gotten significant blade play after being in my tackle box and being used (abused) and not maintained well. But I have heard that I can tighten it back up so I will try.

So can we get a 2020 update on the Rough Rider?

Well I bought it. Along with some others... lol Soon Ill have a stoneworx baby toothpick, a rams horn big daddy barlow, a copper series fshing knife, a dog bone jack, a baby elephants toenail and congress (both arrowhead series) and a premium select baby copperhead. And for the price, even my wife couldnt be upset with them lol I hope theyre worth the little I paid.

I hope your baby elephants toenail does not have a ... "stiff" ... secondary blade like mine did. (mine was not an Arrowhead series.)

I'd rate the pull on the secondary blade on the one I had, (and I'm being generous here) as somewhere between a "29" and "30" on that "1 to 10" blade pull scale.
It was necessary to pry the blade open enough with a screwdriver to grip it with a pair of vice grips (regular pliers slipped off) to open the secondary blade fully. I can honestly testify that I've never seen such a hard pull on any blade before or since.

Tiny blade, position of the nail nick, (no leverage) and a wide. thick backspring combined to make opening the secondary blade without tools impossible.
The primary blade was between a reasonable "5" and "6".
I traded mine off.

The two full size (4 inch closed) RR Sunfish/Toenails I have (Outdoors series with acorn shield, and a Zombie Nick) have a pull of around "5" on both blades.
Come to that, the pull on all my multi-blade Rough Riders is a consistent "4.5" and "5" on all the blades on every knife.

I suspect a ... "difficult" ... pull on the secondary blade on the baby elephant toe is part and parcel of the pattern.

So can we get a 2020 update on the Rough Rider?
Ok. Well the fishing knife I sent back for warranty work and they sent me a new one, so that was nice. I still use it, its in my tackle box now. In fact I just cleaned it up recently to get ready for fishing. I moved from Maryland to Idaho recently and took up fly fishing so, I need my fish knife ready to go!
The move was expensive though, so I downsized my knife collection quite a bit. :( I needed the extra spending money more than the knives. I sold all but a couple of my modern pocketknives and I cut down my stock of traditional knives big time! I still have more than I need though.. :D I sold my Rough Riders except for the fish knife, though I regret selling my Marbles 3 blade trapper (I really liked that handy little knife) :( but they served me well up until I had to sell them.
So, sorry to say I cant give much of a 2020 update since life gets in the way. :mad: lol Ive been thinking about getting a Rough Rider in carbon steel though now that I am settled..... maybe a Marbles knife to replace the one I sold.... oh no, here we go again! :D

I hope your baby elephants toenail does not have a ... "stiff" ... secondary blade like mine did. (mine was not an Arrowhead series.)

I'd rate the pull on the secondary blade on the one I had, (and I'm being generous here) as somewhere between a "29" and "30" on that "1 to 10" blade pull scale.
It was necessary to pry the blade open enough with a screwdriver to grip it with a pair of vice grips (regular pliers slipped off) to open the secondary blade fully. I can honestly testify that I've never seen such a hard pull on any blade before or since.

Tiny blade, position of the nail nick, (no leverage) and a wide. thick backspring combined to make opening the secondary blade without tools impossible.
The primary blade was between a reasonable "5" and "6".
I traded mine off.

The two full size (4 inch closed) RR Sunfish/Toenails I have (Outdoors series with acorn shield, and a Zombie Nick) have a pull of around "5" on both blades.
Come to that, the pull on all my multi-blade Rough Riders is a consistent "4.5" and "5" on all the blades on every knife.

I suspect a ... "difficult" ... pull on the secondary blade on the baby elephant toe is part and parcel of the pattern.
Wow! Well mine was super hard to open as well, but not to that extent. Thats crazy!

"Gaps are barely noticeable" is very different than no gaps. I can see the gaps in the photo. But I have gotten much worse from RR than that particular example. The main blade is way off center toward the mark side. I'm surprised that doesn't rub. The quality of the bone covers and dye is poor. The shield is the thickness of aluminum foil.

There are differences between this knife and a Case knife. I think the unfair comparisons are due to the price. The ones that are falling apart just a few posts away are dismissed because they are cheap. The gaps are dismissed because they are cheap. The low quality covers and dye are dismissed because they are cheap. I'm not saying they are garbage but I think the way that the knives are compared to knives made by American manufacturers is not accurate.

Do you honestly think that you parents, grand parents, great grand parents, or even great-great grand parents, even noticed things like a small gap between the covers and liners (or covers and bolsters), blade rub, and so on?
Contrary to "popular belief", Case, Schrade Cut Co/Schrade Walden, Imperial, Camillus, Old Timer, (original Pre-War) Queen, Robeson, et-all, all had the same issues "back in the day", long before inexpensive knives made in Asia ever hit our shores.
Every mass produced knife, regardless of manufacturer has had these "issues".

Those that came before us, noticed things like an excessively hard pull, and floppy blades, and rejected knives based on that.
Most times, they did not send them back to the factory, or return them to the shop they purchased it at, either. They just bought another, and tossed the defective one in a drawer, cigar box, toolbox, or tacklebox. (In the case of the latter two, a hard to open knife may have been opened before being put in) and forgotten.

They did not notice (or care about) a gap that does not affect the functionality, a cover being 1/1000 inch or so off of mating perfectly with a bolster, a little blade rub (especially on a one backspring 2 blade, or two backspring 3 or 4 blade knife. "a little blade rub goes with the pattern" was the prevailing attitude at one time), a slightly sunken or proud backspring, a small crack in a bone cover, and other minor issues that so many cry about today.
Unlike many today, they did not expect or demand "perfection".
They saw a pocket knife as a tool, and used it as such. Most times a lot "harder" than we would use the same pattern for today.

I am quite sure they would shake their heads and laugh at us for being so "picky" about our knives. (and shudder at what a knife (even a Rough Rider) costs now days.)

Last edited:
What part? I'm in Buhl. :)

(South Central Idaho, near Twin Falls.)
The wife and I moved to Moscow because Im going to the University of Idaho. Im about an hour and a half south of Coure deAlene. Its great out here! We love Idaho so far. Ive heard about Twin Falls but we havent been there yet.
Hows the fishing down there?

Hows the fishing down there?
I hear its good. I have not been yet.
The regulations are not clear to me. I may be mistaken, but I think all the waters around here are "Catch and Release Only" no matter what you catch.
I may be "old fashioned", (no "may be" about it, truth be known) but if I cannot keep some for eating, why bother? :)

You are in a nice area. You're close to Post Falls, and the Buck factory.
(I think I am something like 550 miles away. a long bicycle ride, to be sure ... at least for this old thing.)
I'm pretty sure SK Blades is "up in your neck of the woods", as well. :)

Last edited:
I'd say yes they are durable and especially when you think of what they cost. Any knife that's in sole use, like say a pair of shoes that's worn constantly, will take a beating in quite a short while. It is estimated that back in the pre-war days knives were given a two-three year lifespan, or so I've hear quoted.Seems likely. Most of us have a large stash of knives so they get rotated and get reasonable 'rest' a single carry working knife will inevitably fare worse. Rough Riders appear satisfactory, I've had pin cracking issues but seen that on GECs and others.

I'd like them to do a single blade Spear but I don't think they have?

Do you honestly think that you parents, grand parents, great grand parents, or even great-great grand parents, even noticed things like a small gap between the covers and liners (or covers and bolsters), blade rub, and so on?
Contrary to "popular belief", Case, Schrade Cut Co/Schrade Walden, Imperial, Camillus, Old Timer, (original Pre-War) Queen, Robeson, et-all, all had the same issues "back in the day", long before inexpensive knives made in Asia ever hit our shores.
Every mass produced knife, regardless of manufacturer has had these "issues".

Those that came before us, noticed things like an excessively hard pull, and floppy blades, and rejected knives based on that.
Most times, they did not send them back to the factory, or return them to the shop they purchased it at, either. They just bought another, and tossed the defective one in a drawer, cigar box, toolbox, or tacklebox. (In the case of the latter two, a hard to open knife may have been opened before being put in) and forgotten.

They did not notice (or care about) a gap that does not affect the functionality, a cover being 1/1000 inch or so off of mating perfectly with a bolster, a little blade rub (especially on a one backspring 2 blade, or two backspring 3 or 4 blade knife. "a little blade rub goes with the pattern" was the prevailing attitude at one time), a slightly sunken or proud backspring, a small crack in a bone cover, and other minor issues that so many cry about today.
Unlike many today, they did not expect or demand "perfection".
They saw a pocket knife as a tool, and used it as such. Most times a lot "harder" than we would use the same pattern for today.

I am quite sure they would shake their heads and laugh at us for being so "picky" about our knives. (and shudder at what a knife (even a Rough Rider) costs now days.)

That is pretty much true, but there are a couple of things to consider.

High quality knife manufacturers of old did not make flawless knives, but the standard of quality and the skill of the cutlers was much higher than that of rough rider. They did make the best quality that could be made on a mass produced scale that was still hand crafted in a large part. Old knives are very individualistic. Sometimes they have little things spoiled collectors can nitpick, but often times they are also so impressively made you can't help but wonder how they did it when they were produced in large numbers. There are so many little details that make up the complete, excellent package that is old knives and those are what makes them desirable and also superior to anything factory made since.

The old knives were made as highly functional tools, without collecting in mind, for people that really needed such tools. Rough riders seem to be a little of both, but they are made with some lack of knowledge of what is most functional in comparison. All of that is to be expected, RR's are just cheap knives made overseas. They have fairly thick blades, and are blocky and chunky. Old knives and RR's all function as tools, but not all tools are equal. While rough rider works fine and are a decent value they certainly are not better in quality.

Last edited:
RR's are just cheap knives made overseas. They have fairly thick blades, and are blocky and chunky.
I'll agree they are "inexpensive", but they are not "cheap". There is a difference.
As for their being "chunky" ... We'll, just have to agree to disagree on that. I don't see them as "chunky", and they don't feel any more "blocky" or "chunky" than the few Case, Buck (USA made) and Schrade Walden, Ulster, Robeson, and Utica knives I have do.

The "Made in Pakistan" Frost knives, now those are "cheap", "blocky", and "chunky". (they are also over-priced. They would still be over-priced, if they were given away free.)
From my limited experience with Frost knives as a youngling (I think they were "Made in Japan" at the time, which was considered far worse than "Made in China" is today.) I came to the conclusion that if you had enough of them, they might (no guarantees) make a good small boat, canoe, or Kayak anchor, or perhaps a target for plinking with your .22 at the rifle range. (100 yards, open iron sights)
They were certainly not good for cutting anything. If you managed to get an edge on one, warm butter or margarine would dull them, quick as quick.
The ten or so that were given to me all wound up at the bottom of the Mississippi River, roughly half way between Iowa and Illinois, off the old US Hwy 136 bridge.
(If I had put them in the trash, someone might have rescued them from the landfill, then try to use one, and maybe get hurt. I couldn't take a chance on that.)

Last edited:
RR's are just cheap knives made overseas. They have fairly thick blades,
Not sure I can agree about the thick blades - at least not where the Rough Riders with stainless steel blades are concerned.
My stainless steel bladed Rough Rider canoes have the same blade thickness (measured by eye) as my Case CV bladed canoe. (My "by eye" is usually with-in 1/1000 inch when the items are are side by side.)
I don't know the Case model number, but there are a couple videos on You Tube comparing the Rough Rider RR603 Synthetic Yellow Stockman (4.25 inches closed) to the same size Case Stockman. The Rough Rider actually has slightly thinner blades than the Case does, according to the side by side comparisons. Yes, they measured them, with a digital micrometer.

I will cheerfully admit my full size (4.25 inch closed) Carbon Steel bladed Rough Rider Moose (with black G10 covers) has thicker blades than a full size Case moose (if they make one), and/or even a Rough Rider moose with stainless steel blades.
The blades on that Rough Rider are a full 1/8 inch thick, compared to the more "normal" 1/16 inch of the others. However, it slices just as well as the thinner blades do. :)
I just look at it as if it is a "heavy duty" moose. :)

No, I don't find their knives 'cheap' (in quality) nor blocky nor thick bladed, they cut, slice and stay that way better than many CASE knives, whatever the stainless RR uses it's got good user characteristics.

Of course, they have no heritage and cannot be compared to the Old Masters in that sense. However, most of the old companies have vanished and for many reasons - economic, quality, consumer tastes, political etc etc. Moreover, some of these grand names Schrade, Camillus, Queen were turning out knives of inferior quality towards their end, I know because I've got some and the examples are very poor. Cue for loyalists to spring up and say that's what Traditional knives are all about, part of the mystique, nobody cared back in the day if they were rough and ready. I doubt that, it's perhaps one of the reasons people moved away from Traditional knives and into Moderns the desire for more consistency? So to today- CASE, GEC, Lionsteel, Rough Rider are similar in one way at least, they generally produce a reliable, consistently made, well finished knife ( with very different styles which is good) when they produce a bad one they all seem to fix the problem without fuss.

They (RR) have fairly thick blades, and are blocky and chunky.
True enough...
Rough Ryder vs. Case Two Spring Stockman

There isn't really anything wrong with the RR, but it certainly isn't as elegant and refined as the Case

If you want to spend less, or it's all you can afford, you'll get by fine with the Rough Ryder. But let's not call it the same quality as a Case.

Ok. Well the fishing knife I sent back for warranty work and they sent me a new one, so that was nice. I still use it, its in my tackle box now. In fact I just cleaned it up recently to get ready for fishing. I moved from Maryland to Idaho recently and took up fly fishing so, I need my fish knife ready to go!
The move was expensive though, so I downsized my knife collection quite a bit. :( I needed the extra spending money more than the knives. I sold all but a couple of my modern pocketknives and I cut down my stock of traditional knives big time! I still have more than I need though.. :D I sold my Rough Riders except for the fish knife, though I regret selling my Marbles 3 blade trapper (I really liked that handy little knife) :( but they served me well up until I had to sell them.
So, sorry to say I cant give much of a 2020 update since life gets in the way. :mad: lol Ive been thinking about getting a Rough Rider in carbon steel though now that I am settled..... maybe a Marbles knife to replace the one I sold.... oh no, here we go again! :D

I've never been much of a "collector", I've just got a few knives I use and a few more that mean something to me. I do plan on buying a Buck 110 Auto for EDC on my belt, and I'm not sure if it'll replace the Case Yellow CV Trapper in my back pocket or maybe they'll both start living on my belt and the Old Timer Canoe will take a rest from my coin pocket.... Maybe I just realised that if I could afford it I'd be a collector :eek::D
It's a predicament

True enough...
Rough Ryder vs. Case Two Spring Stockman

There isn't really anything wrong with the RR, but it certainly isn't as elegant and refined as the Case

If you want to spend less, or it's all you can afford, you'll get by fine with the Rough Ryder. But let's not call it the same quality as a Case.

I'm not anti rough riders, but the fact is they are generally sub 20 dollar knives and there's a reason for that. Comparing RR's to old knives is like apples to oranges. Even comparing new cases to old cases there is significant difference.

People can compare whatever they want and have their opinions, nothing wrong with that, but case is objectively better as a whole than rough rider. You can get bad eggs from either one, it happens. I prefer to support case.

This Mini Copperhead is certainly as well finished as the CASE version, although it does not come in Wharncliffe .

FUDp84P.jpg

The Mini Cotton Sampler offers an interesting small version of the original's very large size. An old pattern not much offered it's an excellent snack knife on fruits cheeses, salami etc kind of tapas knife:D It's held up perfectly well and being stainless it takes on foods with alacrity. Also comes in Smooth Bone and full size if you want, I like this jigging.

VyIbAy4.jpg

GzIbXat.jpg

The Mini Cotton Sampler offers an interesting small version of the original's very large size. An old pattern not much offered it's an excellent snack knife on fruits cheeses, salami etc kind of tapas knife:D It's held up perfectly well and being stainless it takes on foods with alacrity. Also comes in Smooth Bone and full size if you want, I like this jigging.

VyIbAy4.jpg

GzIbXat.jpg
Thats some gorgeous bone!

Back