Are spyderco knives overpriced?

Well first of all I'd like to start off by saying follow my Instagram account for knife pics and some of the knives in my collection @__penetration__ and second of all this isn't meant to offend any spyderco fans (I am one myself) but these are opinions. So do i think spydercos are overpriced? In certain cases yes for example the spyderco bug. A more keychain decoration than a functional knife, cost $15 when for $5 more you can get a although cheap china made, bigger, actually functional knife. Now other examples is when spyderco raises the price of a knife by $100 just because this version sports a fancy colored aluminum scale instead of a g10 scale but I'm not saying everything's overpriced I do believe you are paying for what you get in some cases but others it doesn't make since to me. What are your opinions?

Is that why I'm always broke? When I think of Calys 3 and 3.5, PM2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, etc., I think I get good value.

...and I'm anti-aluminum and pro-titanium. Of course, my opinion.

Is that why I'm always broke? When I think of Calys 3 and 3.5, PM2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, etc., I think I get good value.

...and I'm anti-aluminum and pro-titanium. Of course, my opinion.

Ill say it again I'm not saying all spydercos are overpriced like I said most of knives they offer are giving you your money's worth and ill agree with you on that

To be honest I think they could ask more for their knives. No one else offers the variety of styles and steels like they do. Furthermore their quality is always top notch. There are other companies that have one shape with a few different scale options and maybe a different blade shape that charge 400 to 1000 for the same steels. It's all what the buying is willing to pay. I love Spyderco

Considering that I can get a Spydie made in Golden, Colorado that will last my lifetime for less than a pair of athletic shoes made in China that might last 2 years.... I say, "No, not over-priced."

Overpriced? Absolutely not, in fact spyderco's are some of the best value folders in the market, take the GB for example, top of the line super steel, carbon fiber, over built all for <$150. Next look at the ZDP caly's: a comparable knife (ZDP/CF) from some other manufacturers cost 2-5x the $130/160 the Caly 3/3.5 costs.

CTS-204p & S110V (more very top of the line steels), super blue, CTS-XPH, S35VN (CRK's steel), really there is no better value on the market for what you get and don't forget the mule team knives...

The lower end stuff (delica/endura/manix LW) are about on par value/performance wise with some of the other brands but when you start to get into the higher end stuff the value/performance per dollar spyderco really can't be touched.

Last edited:
Basic Spyderco models are too expensive, but they are certainly not cheap. Pricier Spydercos, are really pricey! I used to buy Spydercos like candy when I was a lot more free and easy with the plastic, but now they are a once or maybe twice a year purchase for me.

IMO , they are worth it. If you want to save a little, buy in the secondary market. That is what I do all the time. Spyderco to me is the CRK of standard production knives. They just darn work. You can get a Manix or XL all day for 70-90$ lightly used. How can you beat that for a USA starter Spyderco.
My last three purchases were second hand. ZT 0561 like new 170/ Manix XL like new 90/ Sebenza lightly used 330. All were perfect specimens. I just choose to save the 25% and hope for the best being that I use my knives day in, day out.

IMO they're about right. Some are a little high for what they are and some are very reasonable considering materials. I've owned hundreds and a complaint has never been uttered about price.

Considering that I can get a Spydie made in Golden, Colorado that will last my lifetime for less than a pair of athletic shoes made in China that might last 2 years.... I say, "No, not over-priced."

Good point.

OP, your post sounds like a veiled spam for us to go look at your Instagram account. At least put some effort into it - post some photos in the Gallery or Photography section and when people compliment them (assuming they're any good) then tell them you have more on Instagram - it's still spam, but at least it's not a spam message followed by a question that everyone knows will elicit a bunch of responses.

I say the best way to answer your own question is make yourself a knife the same size with the same materials of the Bug or any other knife that Spyderco makes that you may think is over priced and then ask yourself that same question after you are done.

Before I get another comment about this. Quaility? Spyderco has amazing quality I mean we all know spyderco is at the top of the list in terms of best quality knives that being said I know they have good quality I can't think of anything better for that price and basically what I'm Trying to say is things get overpriced for me when they charge a lot more for a specific material or color variation of a certain knife

Good point.

OP, your post sounds like a veiled spam for us to go look at your Instagram account. At least put some effort into it - post some photos in the Gallery or Photography section and when people compliment them (assuming they're any good) then tell them you have more on Instagram - it's still spam, but at least it's not a spam message followed by a question that everyone knows will elicit a bunch of responses.
Obviously it's not if I didn't put any effort into it

Those are for the spyder nuts. I would never pay 300$ for a random super steel blue para mili etc. But a collector will. They make them as an option for those crazy spydy lovers. Good for them.

Before I get another comment about this. Quaility? Spyderco has amazing quality I mean we all know spyderco is at the top of the list in terms of best quality knives that being said I know they have good quality I can't think of anything better for that price and basically what I'm Trying to say is things get overpriced for me when they charge a lot more for a specific material or color variation of a certain knife

what I'm Trying to say is things get overpriced for me when they charge a lot more for a specific material or color variation of a certain knife

Can you elaborate on what your trying to say here, I'm not sure I follow.

One of the reasons you see some "special color/material" versions of a knife cost more is they are just that, special editions (called "sprint runs"), your paying for more than the upgraded steel or the different color/material handle, your paying additional for the exclusivity of owning a limited production version of a regular knife.

Also to add to the above ^^^ Many of those color variations are dealer exclusives priced by the dealer.

Ok so lets say you look at a "sprint run" right? What's the difference between that and the original? Lets say different color handle but what is it really? Exactly that a different color handle. So basically your paying more for something that has no real difference other than the right to be called a "sprint run"

Ok so lets say you look at a "sprint run" right? What's the difference between that and the original? Lets say different color handle but what is it really? Exactly that a different color handle. So basically your paying more for something that has no real difference other than the right to be called a "sprint run"

Different color/material handles, different [upgraded] steel and again the limited availability in its self increases the value.

There are similar exclusives in every hobby, people are happy to pay more for something that will only be produced in a limited number. That has to make sense to you right, even if you have no interest in a sprint run you atleast have to understand why some people would, right?

"Sprint run" is just the term spyderco uses for "limited edition"

Back