Are spyderco knives overpriced?

Well first of all I'd like to start off by saying follow my Instagram account for knife pics and some of the knives in my collection ...

What a terrible thread intro. A plug for your silly instagram account? :rolleyes:

Why don't you just post the pictures here?

So prove it. How much is this worth:

On topic:

No, Spyderco knives are not overpriced. I wish that they were a lot cheaper so that I could own more, but then I would own none, as Spyderco would go out of business.

I'm guessing you either chose to ignore the apology I just posted or you haven't seen it but again I apologize for sounding like I knew everything (which I don't) and as someone previously posted no one knows everything there is always something to learn about and what I meant to say was common knowledge so again I apologize for that (by the way that's a nice knife)

Of course they are overpriced. You can tell by the way they just sit on dealers' shelves gathering dust. Especially the higher priced sprints and limited production models. Who are they kidding? They'll never sell them at those prices;)!

I don't want to stir up a hornet's nest and maybe this isn't the thread for it, but I've known Sal and Eric for years and always had the utmost respect for them.

Sometime last year, I sent a very passionate and logical e-mail to Sal, telling him of a new folding k-bit collab I was working on with Jason Brous and Warren Thomas. I told him that it needed to be waved and that if he made this knife, it would be a fantastic seller. I normally get a response back from Sal, but this time I did not. Approximately four months later, the Karahawk was announced as an in-house design by Sal. It COULD be a coincidence. I've been collecting and carrying Spydies since the mid 90s and have always felt fortunate to be able to communicate directly with the honchos at Golden. But Sal, if you're reading this and you stole my idea to keep from having to pay royalties, then you suck. A Brous/Thomas designed waved Spyderco K-bit would have put the Karahawk to shame both aesthetically and functionally. If it was just an amazing coincidence, then you still rock. There, I said it. Call me a blasphemer... I speak only the truth.

Four months seems a short length of time for a company as diligent in design as Spyderco to bring a finished product design to the public.
Most likely they were already working on theirs.

Lol. Just saw Sal's reply! I was working down the thread and was so narked by the post insinuating design piracy I posted too quickly .
Are Spyderco's overpriced? My PM2 cost equivalent of 180US$ and my Delica 90$. I had to think carefully before buying them, but I did, and WILL by more Spydies in time, because I think they're great.
I try to support almost any western manufacture because they (and we) are being suckered by the monetary policies of the PRC by their artificially low exchange rate.

Fairly priced. Although I do try to buy them second hand, usually between 50-75% of what I could buy them for new.

I'm guessing you either chose to ignore the apology I just posted or you haven't seen it but again I apologize for sounding like I knew everything (which I don't) and as someone previously posted no one knows everything there is always something to learn about and what I meant to say was common knowledge so again I apologize for that (by the way that's a nice knife)

I didn't see it. In that case, nevermind! :)

I have ignored this thread so far but I will throw in my 2 cents worth...

I say no, in general they are not overpriced. Overall I think the company makes good products- products that are well designed and well made with quality materials, and priced well compared to other products on the market. They make a variety of products over a wide range of prices.

I don't understand Spyderco pricing on some models, for instance I don't understand why the Starmate is so much higher than the Military. The Bradley folder, Military and Paramilitary are popular models, and IMO are priced well compared to comparable models from other manufacturers. The Delica is a popular model but seems to me to be a bit high for what it is, but it is high quality and durable, and I don't see any complaints about its materials or how it is made. There are some newer Spyderco models that are a little above my price range so I have not tried them. I cannot comment on their relative value. The Manix 2 G10 is a very good knife at a relatively low price so I think it is a real bargain.

Pricing has a lot that goes into the mix. Some countries are probably higher cost than others (Japan vs. China). Some knives are collaborations with additional royalties in the price (and royalty levels vary a lot, apparently). Some knives have an intentionally much lower profit margin than others (Paramilitary 2). Lots of variables at work in the Spyderco line.

Well first of all I'd like to start off by saying follow my Instagram account for knife pics and some of the knives in my collection @__penetration__ and second of all this isn't meant to offend any spyderco fans (I am one myself) but these are opinions. So do i think spydercos are overpriced? In certain cases yes for example the spyderco bug. A more keychain decoration than a functional knife, cost $15 when for $5 more you can get a although cheap china made, bigger, actually functional knife. Now other examples is when spyderco raises the price of a knife by $100 just because this version sports a fancy colored aluminum scale instead of a g10 scale but I'm not saying everything's overpriced I do believe you are paying for what you get in some cases but others it doesn't make since to me. What are your opinions?

I guess determining if something is overpriced will depend on the purchaser and what he/she determines to be overpriced or not. From what I've seen, I'd consider Spyderco knives a good value, meaning you're getting what you're paying for. I would not consider them to be overpriced. I can't make that same statement about Benchmade, for example.

The Taichung models could be costing more because of tax policy. For example,some car companies import car seats and seat belts from Mexico and the Philippines separately instead of assembling the entire car in Mexico. In some cases, taxes are cheaper if you import the pieces separately compared to if they just transported entire cars across the US Mexican border. Plus, they can advertise that it was American made because it was assembled in the US. That May playa a factor, but all Spyderco's are not overpriced. I would prefer a Native 5 for about $150 over an Al Mar folder for about $270 any day of the week. Just my personal option as an Economics student.

Back