Are spyderco knives overpriced?

Think about something as simple as baseball or "Magic Cards". Some of those pieces of colorful cardboard go for thousands of dollars. Why? They're just cardboard. People who collect things want things no one else has. If you want something no one else has, there must be very little supply. If you want it to be impressive to people, you want it to have a high demand (a coveted item).

Low supply + High demand=expensive.

If you aren't into collecting, then get a basic model. If you are into collecting rare knives, then you have an expensive hobby, get over it. There's all types of knives I wish I had, but to ME they are overpriced. However, for the non-knife people I know, they see my nice knives (each about $80-120 in worth)they think I'm crazy for spending that. Also, they really can't tell the difference between a knife of that quality and a crap one, so how could they understand? Meanwhile, here where the knife nuts live I'm an amateur. If you can't see the value in a knife, then don't buy it. If you want high quality materials and an excellent knife, you'll have to pay more than $20. If you want some exclusive high quality sh-- then you really gonna hafta come out your pockets.

PS. I can't believe the bugs are the ones you think are overpriced.
That discussion has long been forgotten I understand why it's expensive. I'm not sure if you got offended by that since you decided to bring it up after clearly I've gotten plenty of answers I need from multiple people but I see where your going with this
PS. It was just an example

That discussion has long been forgotten I understand why it's expensive. I'm not sure if you got offended by that since you decided to bring it up after clearly I've gotten plenty of answers I need from multiple people but I see where your going with this
PS. It was just an example

Lol. No offense taken. Sorry if it sounded that way. Yeah, I saw after I posted the horse was already beaten to death. My bad on not reading all posts b4 commenting. It definitely is also hard to question anything spyderco as their followers can be cult like in their allegiance including me. At the end o the day, Sal good.

I make full exceptions with Spydercos, if I happen to want one I will do my best to get it no matter the price. I personally believe they are that good. Solid steel and the best designed ergos of any knife manufacturer on the market.

when you ask what something is worth, the question is...what's it worth to you? Value is in the eye of the beholder.

When enough people feel something is worth them spending their money on it, it allows a retailer to be successful selling them for that price and therefore determines its market value.

The market says they are worth what the cost.

Doesn't really matter how much they cost.
If they cost less I'd just have more of them and vice versa.

Know anywhere I can pick one up for a good price?

I almost pulled the trigger on one from the bay last weekend. It went for under $115 for a user. The only thing that stopped me was that I like the leaf blade and regular sabre grinds much better than their modified drop points. The handle on it is ukpk/caly shaped which I love.

Ignorantly, I just lost my week old dragonfly 2 (it was orange if anyone's seen it:)) $55 down the drain. Will I get another? Yep

I must admit it feels a little high for plastic and a little VG-10 blade but dang it it was so edc'able and was razor sharp and such a user friendly design and :sorrow:

There are a few that strike me with odd prices such as the Starmate.
VG10 steel with a G-10 handle for around $170
It just doesn't add up when you can get a Gayle Bradly for a lot less... say around $140

It just doesn't add up when you can get a Gayle Bradly for a lot less... say around $140

Yup, the Starmate is priced high but at least Bob Terzuola is still on board collaborating on some nice knives. :thumbup:

I think all manufacturers have some overpriced knives, but the question is do you want it bad enough to pay said price then it might not be overpriced because of the personal worth it has to you. Is a spyderco military worth around $150 when a manix 2 xl is roughly around $30 cheaper but with very similar size and materials? No, I dont think so but the millie is well worth that $150 to me so I dont mind and most spydies offer alot of value anyways. Thats the way I see it:D

Last edited:
I think all manufacturers have some overpriced knives, but the question is do you want it bad enough to pay said price because thats how bad you want in turn it might not be overpriced because of the personal worth it has to you. Is a spyderco military worth around $150 when a manix 2 xl is roughly around $30 cheaper but with very similar size and materials? No, I dont think so but the millie is well worth that $150 to me so I dont mind and most spydies offer alot of value anyways. Thats the way I see it:D

Good post.

It makes lots of sense. The starmate is made in Japan and the GB is made in Taiwan. Even though the Taichung knives are made well it's a no brainier to me why the starmate costs more (cough... fair labor rate cough...)

I hear ya... but even the Military, made in the US, with better steel is priced lower.

I personally do not feel they are overpriced. I think Sal and Eric give you great value and the ability to argue endlessly about how much cardboard or rope you can cut with your super steel.

I could go into the materials, area of manufacture quality etc.. but that has been discussed. I can say I have never bought a spyderco and felt that I overpaid. I have often felt like I have gotten good value. As a disclaimer, I don't own any sprint runs and my most expensive is probably the sage 2 that I carry and love every day. That said, I would love a sprint run and doubt that I would have a problem paying 200 for a dodo with orange g10 or 250 plus for a damascus and bone delica or endura. I guess I can only say I have never sold any of my spyderco's and when a good friend asks what they should get for an edc I often recommend a delica.. great knives worth every penny to me.

Let me begin by saying that I am an extreme value shopper. I spend as little as possible for the best and longest lasting products that I can find, and I do pretty exhaustive research before buying just about anything. That being said, I think most, if not all, models are very reasonably priced. Great materials and designs aside, the added piece of mind of the company's reputation for workmanship (from any factory) and customer service is definitely worth an extra buck or two if you even perceive that to be the case.

Though I will add that I haven't quite figured out the reasoning behind the MSRP. It reminds me of things like skis and other seasonal gear, where the MSRP is totally inflated and except for a small period of prime time during the year, you'll never have to pay that much. I can understand the mechanics behind that, but knives aren't seasonal and their prices hardly fluctuate at all. I've never noticed a peak season where knife prices are jacked up to MSRP. I remember learning a term for this kind of marketing in one of my psychology classes in college, but I can't remember it. Why knife companies do it is beyond me, and especially Spyderco. They seem to have one of the largest discrepancies between MSRP and average actual price, though that may be the key right there. It may be a hint to their popularity. If they didn't sell so well, retailers would have to charge much closer to MSRP to make up for lack of volume. But anyway...

But then there's resale value. Ok, I've ranted long enough already, but when people are asking more for a standard PM2 second hand (NIB or not, it's second hand) than most retailers are asking, shipping included...come on. And then there are the sprints and exclusives. No thanks, I'll wait till the next round. No offense to collectors, of course. I'm just a user.

Collaboration models are always going to be priced higher than an equivalent

Agree with some of the above posts. While some of the models seem high priced by Spyderco s high value standards, many outstanding values are found in their lineup. Overall, I consider Spyderco the best value for money production knife company, bar none. Some of their high level knives I consider comparable to knives much more expensive, regardless of tolerances. If they hold the line with their pricing, I predict their market share will increase.

Back