Are Tantos Double Edged Blades?

In Pennsylvania, daggers are illegal. I haven't found a clear answer if that makes all blades with more than one edge illegal or not. While I seriously doubt an officer would go out of their way to jam someone up legally for carrying a tanto, I wonder if it would be possible? Technically it has more than one edge.
FWIW I don't like tantos very much and this is mostly just to start a discussion I find interesting.

No, double edge has both sides of the blade sharpened. Like this dagger. I am not an attorney though.
26037948071_26fbfcbe51_b.jpg

Good question. I'm an attorney in PA and can do a little research. I think your defense attorney would argue that a tanto really has one edge. Their might be case law on how the commonwealth has defined an "edge".

Best left to an attorney or maybe even better talking with your local law enforcement ... as in many cases what the law actually states and how each independant law enforcement angecy interruptes them can be different things.

I don't think I've ever seen a double edged tanto. The dagger law from what I understand is just that, for daggers. A double edged spear point.

Pennsylvania is actually a pretty decent knife carrying state(except for some cities). A tanto wouldn't concern me at all unless it's an automatic. That and daggers are really what we can't carry here.

Good question. I'm an attorney in PA and can do a little research. I think your defense attorney would argue that a tanto really has one edge. Their might be case law on how the commonwealth has defined an "edge".

Yes I believe the defense attorney would argue it's only one edge too. But because it's angular instead of curved it could be viewed as two distinct edges. I don't own any tantos. I've never sharpened one either. Are they typically sharpened in one motion or the tip and than the belly?

Best left to an attorney or maybe even better talking with your local law enforcement ... as in many cases what the law actually states and how each independant law enforcement angecy interruptes them can be different things.

Luckily enough we seem to have an attorney that has decided to participate.

I wrote up a very detailed post explaining how PA Knife laws work about 2 year ago, and the information is still current. It can be read here:
PA knife law confusion

Long story short, the common perception of a "dagger" ban is a slight misinterpretation stemming from the bad grammar of the statute. It's really about whether a knife is designed specifically as a weapon.

Is it significant that the case was argued from the standpoint that it wasn't a locking blade? Does that mean that in CA any locking blade is a dirk/dagger?

Is it significant that the case was argued from the standpoint that it wasn't a locking blade? Does that mean that in CA any locking blade is a dirk/dagger?
Yes, but only if concealed WITH the blade locked open.

~Chip

One of the problems is that many laws passed by legislatures do a lousy job of defining terms. For example here is an excerpt from a Missouri appellate case trying to figure out what the heck the legislature meant. In effect the court is prevailing on the legislature to step up and define a "dagger" which has yet to be done since the case was decided. The courts are then stuck with having to deal with and interpret the crappy law.

"Dagger" is not a euphemism for any pointed or sharp object. Here, Payne may have employed a dagger to assault George. However, there is no evidence that a dagger, rather than any number of short, pointed items was used (such as a screwdriver, pen, scissors, shard of glass, or sharpened tire pressure gage). As a result, the State presented insufficient evidence to support the conviction. In so holding, we note that it is not our intention to delineate the exact combination of characteristics necessary to define a dagger. Ideally, the legislature will provide additional guidance on the matter so that future trial and appellate courts will not be placed in the difficult situation of making such a determination. State v. Payne, 250 S.W.3d 815 (Mo. App. WD 2008)

Last edited:

Cops make arrests but the ultimate arbiter of the law is a court and how a cop interprets the law is irrelevant. The prosecuting attorney makes a decision as to whether the facts surrounding an arrest by a cop is sufficient to submit to a court for prosecution. Asking law enforcement to interpret a law and relying on their interpretation is not advisable.

Cops make arrests but the ultimate arbiter of the law is a court and how a cop interprets the law is irrelevant. The prosecuting attorney makes a decision as to whether the facts surrounding an arrest by a cop is sufficient to submit to a court for prosecution. Asking law enforcement to interpret a law and relying on their interpretation is not advisable.

I understand that ... but to save the hassle of having to even end up in court its sometimes best to know if you will be arrested or charged with anything ... and just avoiding that situation. And save the costs and lost time it may take just to get through the whole process.

With all due respect you ask officer Jones a "legal" question. He says "No problem." Next night you are stopped by officer Smith who has a different opinion than officer Jones. So do you inform officer Smith he is wrong and needs to speak with officer Jones?

We could go round and round with what ifs. .. but in most jurisdictions 99% of the officers follow the same protocols because its come from their surpervisors ... whether its the correct intupretation or not as the letter of the law ...

And I can almost promise you if an officer tells you the knife you're carrying is illegal and you try to quote the law to them or argue its not and a lawyer told you so ... you will still be hiring said attorny and arguing the point in front of a judge ... so you saying that you shouldn't tell officer #2 that officer #1 said it was ok is different how?

Its great to talk to a lawyer and know your rights but knowing them will not always mean the LEO will and trying to tell them how to do their job is not a great idea ... so why not talk to a lawyer know the law and talk to the local LEO and find out how they enforce it ... and if there are differences talk to them then ... not after they are confiscating your knife or aressting you for arguing the point when it can be avoided pretty easily.

Last edited:
We could go round and round with what ifs. .. but in most jurisdictions 99% of the officers follow the same protocols because its come from their surpervisors ... whether its the correct intupretation or not as the letter of the law ...

And I can almost promise you if an officer tells you the knife you're carrying is illegal and you try to quote the law to them or argue its not and a lawyer told you so ... you will still be hiring said attorny and arguing the point in front of a judge ... so you saying that you shouldn't tell officer #2 that officer #1 said it was ok is different how?

Its great to talk to a lawyer and know your rights but knowing them will not always mean the LEO will and trying to tell them how to do their job is not a great idea ... so why not talk to a lawyer know the law and talk to the local LEO and find out how they enforce it ... and if there are differences talk to them then ... not after they are confiscating your knife or aressting you for arguing the point when it can be avoided pretty easily.

Dude you missed the whole point. Tell officer two whatever the hell you want. Who the hell cares what the "supervisors" think; they are irrelevant. Whether charges are filed will be determined by the prosecutor, not the freaking officer nor his or her "supervisor" who is nothing but another cop. Guilt or innocence will be determined by a court and not the law enforcement officer. Most of your post is unintelligible but makes my point: do not rely upon a cop for a defense to a criminal charge.

Last edited:
It"s not me missing the point ... I agree the court will determine results ... but why put yourself in the position to be in court or to go through any of it when some simple communication could avoid it all ...

You can get angry or insult me all you like ... it's just a very simple way to avoid problems ... not only talk to an attorny and know the law but talk with local law enforcement also ... because in case you don't know it ... many times laws are not enforced exactly as written and leave room for inturpetation and a simple conversation can save alot of hassle down the road ... and believe me your local law enforcement will actually appreciate that you had the conversation with them.

So if you want to insult me or disagree go ahead ... and if you think my advice is bad you have free will to do things however you want. I was simply suggesting something to the OP that I know can save unwanted hassles.

Back