1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Are the bearings in my knife... plastic?

Discussion in 'Kizer Cutlery' started by Comeuppance, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Comeuppance

Comeuppance Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary Gold Member

Jan 12, 2013
    I just got a C10C Sheepdog XL. I took it apart for my customary cleaning and re-lubricating, and I was surprised to find the MRBS bearing system was of a uniform color. The balls and the disk they were embedded in appear to be the same color and material. It was so uniform in appearance that I had to look very closely to verify that it was not just one solid piece.

What is this material? I’m not inherently against polymer bearings, but I’ve definitely not seen them before.

Dadpool likes this.
  2. True Talon

True Talon

Aug 14, 2016
    Can you take a photo of it to post?

3. Comeuppance

Jan 12, 2013
    But I just cleaned, lubed, and tuned it... :(
    Maybe some other time. I was mostly hoping to just hear from a Kizer rep.

4. True Talon

True Talon

Aug 14, 2016
    You might be waiting a long time...............................................................................

Ulf Krogstad and Mo2 like this.
  5. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    They may have been ceramic balls which can be coughed up in various colors. Some of my Mission folders have plastic detent balls. They don’t hold up too well.

6. Mesenzo

Mesenzo

Nov 5, 2015
    Kizer does not use MRBS (Multi Row Ballbearing System) but single row ball bearings.
    These are ceramic (can be white or black in color) balls in a (black) plastic casing.
    So absolutely nothing to worry about!

7. Comeuppance

Jan 12, 2013
    This was MRBS (two distinct rows) and the washers and bearings within were milky white.

I’d post pictures, but I returned mine already due to an uneven finish on the blade (grind marks)

8. Mesenzo

Mesenzo

Nov 5, 2015
    Okay, that's new to me (being a dealer for Kizer for 5 years..). But have to admit; did not have the XL Sheepfoot in stock. It's on the way now and I'll check it out and report back.