Are the bearings in my knife... plastic?

Comeuppance

Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary
I just got a C10C Sheepdog XL. I took it apart for my customary cleaning and re-lubricating, and I was surprised to find the MRBS bearing system was of a uniform color. The balls and the disk they were embedded in appear to be the same color and material. It was so uniform in appearance that I had to look very closely to verify that it was not just one solid piece.

What is this material? I’m not inherently against polymer bearings, but I’ve definitely not seen them before.

They may have been ceramic balls which can be coughed up in various colors. Some of my Mission folders have plastic detent balls. They don’t hold up too well.

I just got a C10C Sheepdog XL. I took it apart for my customary cleaning and re-lubricating, and I was surprised to find the MRBS bearing system was of a uniform color. The balls and the disk they were embedded in appear to be the same color and material. It was so uniform in appearance that I had to look very closely to verify that it was not just one solid piece.

What is this material? I’m not inherently against polymer bearings, but I’ve definitely not seen them before.

Kizer does not use MRBS (Multi Row Ballbearing System) but single row ball bearings.
These are ceramic (can be white or black in color) balls in a (black) plastic casing.
So absolutely nothing to worry about!

Kizer does not use MRBS (Multi Row Ballbearing System) but single row ball bearings.
These are ceramic (can be white or black in color) balls in a (black) plastic casing.
So absolutely nothing to worry about!

This was MRBS (two distinct rows) and the washers and bearings within were milky white.

I’d post pictures, but I returned mine already due to an uneven finish on the blade (grind marks)

Okay, that's new to me (being a dealer for Kizer for 5 years..). But have to admit; did not have the XL Sheepfoot in stock. It's on the way now and I'll check it out and report back.

Back