Are there actually any good MTech or Tac Force price range knives?

Okay, before we get started, right off the bat I'll be the first to admit I have had LOTS of experience w/ el-cheapo, swap meet specials years ago when I was a kid. (1980s - 1990s) As I recall, quality was a crap shoot back then. :poop: :D

But as soon as I started working I pretty much ceased buying such *modestly priced* (I'm being kind here) knives. But I'm just curious, in the last 2 decades has the quality in the bargain basement knife market significantly improved at all?

I ask because I've been eyeing several fixed blade boot knives made by these manufacturers and I just wanted to know if anyone's actually tested any of these types of fixed blades and found some not be great but, at least relatively reliable and functional under normal use? :confused:

Also, what about Pakistan blades? I remember back in the day quite a few of those weren't terrible for what you paid. Has anything changed here?

Last edited:
Also, what about Pakistan blades? I remember back in the day quite a few of those weren't terrible for what you paid.

While I have little to back it up, I suspect that either your recollection is incorrect, or your knowledge of knives was lacking back in those days so your perception of quality was skewed.

Pakistani blades were never good, and continue to not be good for anything more than a wall hanging decoration... assuming you didn't actually pay any money for it.

The only Mtech blade that I find is worth a darn is the MT20-30 neck knife. It's all of $8 or so, and pretty decent. But that's it.. no more. If the budget doubles or so, there are even better knives in that style/size that are from reputable manufacturers.

OP asked for good knives in the PRICE RANGE ... Why not read before jumping in to bash !

However , OP , it might be better to just not mention certain brands or countries of origin and just ask for best value within a given price range or you are chumming the water for Jaws .

I believe I've recently seen a Kershaw for < $10 , "Injection " maybe ?

Last edited:
While I have little to back it up, I suspect that either your recollection is incorrect, or your knowledge of knives was lacking back in those days so your perception of quality was skewed.

I didn't say good, I said not terrible. When I was a kid, I had a folding tiger lock back that I'm pretty sure came from Pakistan. I dunno, maybe it came from China. Either way I must've got lucky because I had that knife for years and it never failed.

I think I still have it somewhere.

Yes there are, but mostly not from mtech, definately not from pakistan, and mostly not from China.

The M-Tech and Tac-force price range is about $5-$20 and there are most certainly some good blades at this price range.
Buck has their 425, their 283, the standard medium bantam, and the 482 to name a few of their American made knives right at $20 or less.
There are many Mora's in this price range.
Opinel is in this price range
Victorinox has a few models for $20 or less.
Rough Rider makes a pretty decent knife in this price range.
Gerber has a few acceptable small US made folders in this price range.
Case has a small lightweight folder or two in this price range.
There are some Kershaw models to be found in this price range that people seem to love.

And lastly M-Tech's small little neck knives are actually decent, they're a small solid piece of steel you won't be breaking, and they hold an edge just fine for the tasks knives like this are up to. The blades may rattle a bit in their kydex sheaths, but I carried one ( it was a gift and was marked with a different brand name ) every single day for over a year as a teenager without issue.
It didn't hold an edge forever but was easy to sharpen.

OP asked for good knives in the PRICE RANGE ... Why not read before jumping in to bash !

However , OP , it might be better to just not mention certain brands or countries of origin and just ask for best value within a given price range or you are chumming the water for Jaws .
What price range did he ask about? I dont see one. He did ask about specific brands which are not very well made knives even at the price. There are much better options from better companies for the same or not much more money. Not sure why the preemptive country blast was needed.

For me when I recommend budget folders Ontario and kershaw are at the top. My Utilitac II has been a work horse and at $25 I don't see a need for paying less in value terms.

What price range did he ask about? I dont see one. He did ask about specific brands which are not very well made knives even at the price. There are much better options from better companies for the same or not much more money. Not sure why the preemptive country blast was needed.

For me when I recommend budget folders Ontario and kershaw are at the top. My Utilitac II has been a work horse and at $25 I don't see a need for paying less in value terms.

My interpretation of the thread title , which could be clearer . I don't shop enough for Mtech or TacForce to guess what the price range might be . So much better to just ask for a specific type of knife/purpose of use, in a specific price range . More productive and less bloodletting .

Ok , OP did ask about "fixed blade boot knives " specifically . This is a type of knife that can be pretty cheap and still fulfill it's primary function of SD . Same for neck knives . Many are just one piece , small and stabby .

I'm sure Cold Steel has some for a good price . Their new Drop Forged boot knife would be great but ~$ 35-$40 .

Cold steel has some decent fixed blades in the $20 range. Wouldn't trust an mtech for anymore than a "stick and go" sort of thing but there's better tools than a knife for defending yourself if that's the end game. The mtech twist balisong is pretty cool though if you can even find one.

Okay, before we get started, right off the bat I'll be the first to admit I have had LOTS of experience w/ el-cheapo, swap meet specials years ago when I was a kid. (1980s - 1990s) As I recall, quality was a crap shoot back then. :poop: :D

But as soon as I started working I pretty much ceased buying such *modestly priced* (I'm being kind here) knives. But I'm just curious, in the last 2 decades has the quality in the bargain basement knife market significantly improved at all?

I ask because I've been eyeing several fixed blade boot knives made by these manufacturers and I just wanted to know if anyone's actually tested any of these types of fixed blades and found some not be great but, at least relatively reliable and functional under normal use? :confused:

Also, what about Pakistan blades? I remember back in the day quite a few of those weren't terrible for what you paid. Has anything changed here?

First off let me preface this by saying I personally believe in Chinese black magic....
Secondly No, there aren't. Here's my first two concerns 1: Blade steel and build quality, 2: and most important, lock failure/safety.

I have some experience with these types of small fixed blades, and while they won't hold an edge forever any I've experienced have held an edge ok and most certainly cut stuff.
People love to hate on this stuff because most of it isn't great, but some hate just to hate and won't admit they can at least be functional sometimes.

Check out their little tanto neck knife with finger grooved handle.

I have some experience with these types of small fixed blades, and while they won't hold an edge forever any I've experienced have held an edge ok and most certainly cut stuff.
People love to hate on this stuff because most of it isn't great, but some hate just to hate and won't admit they can at least be functional sometimes.

Check out their little tanto neck knife with finger grooved handle.

I think the point that is trying to be made here to the OP is that there simply is no reason to buy this sort of garbage (to put it bluntly). Especially when there are numerous alternatives in that price range that are built well, constructed with a known steel, and made by reputable companies.

If someone gave me a cheap blade as described by the OP, I simply wouldn't use it, even for a beater.... I buy quality knives because I expect them to hold up to whatever I require a knife to endure, I do not need a flea market special just so that I can abuse it outside of the scope of what should be expected of a knife.

I hate on the garbage because that is simply what it is, garbage....

There are good knives under 30 dollars by other companies, but not from the ones mentioned.

Reactions: Mo2
J Jack_Burton tell us what price range The Pork Chop Express is looking to set I know Mtech is mostly in a very low cost range, and still not worth their price tag, but perhaps give us a more precise range and we can tell you what or if any knives of a quality worth using and matching their price.

Fair en
I think the point that is trying to be made here to the OP is that there simply is no reason to buy this sort of garbage (to put it bluntly). Especially when there are numerous alternatives in that price range that are built well, constructed with a known steel, and made by reputable companies.

If someone gave me a cheap blade as described by the OP, I simply wouldn't use it, even for a beater.... I buy quality knives because I expect them to hold up to whatever I require a knife to endure, I do not need a flea market special just so that I can abuse it outside of the scope of what should be expected of a knife.

I hate on the garbage because that is simply what it is, garbage....
Fair enough.
M-Tech and TAC-FORCE folders are definitely always a no go, there's way better for good pricing.
I wouldn't fault anyone for buying one of the really tiny M-TECH neck knives though because you can't break something this small without trying and they will open mail and packages...ect, not saying to buy them just that they will get the job done just fine and nobody offers neck knives / key chain fixed blades this small in the true budget category.

Im not sure I'd recommend one of their boot knives or more typical sized neck knives though, because other companies like cold steel and boker offer better quality competition.

Back