Are there any real swords made out of black steel?

I know that's probably not the appropriate title so let me just explain what I mean. The only weapons I have are knives and machetes. I've been looking into getting a sword but am wondering whether any of them are made out of black steel and not just painted black. I mean I have these twin swords made out of 440 steel and after making contact with anything, the paint peels off and shows silver. This is the same for both of my Cold Steel machetes although the paint doesn't come off as easily. Does black steel even exist lol? Would it be more expensive than the average silver blade? Thanks.

With all due respect, I really can't tell if you're being serious or not.

Yeah I am, I sort of figured it didn't exist but I wanted to make sure because I hate having the paint on black blades peel off. I'm really new when it comes to this stuff. Okay so now that that's solved, would the black paint on more expensive blades not peel?

are you talking about high carbon steel that's allowed to develop a patina?
Isn't that a form of rust or something? No not that, just black steel but now I know that it doesn't exist.

Yeah I am, I sort of figured it didn't exist but I wanted to make sure because I hate having the paint on black blades peel off. I'm really new when it comes to this stuff. Okay so now that that's solved, would the black paint on more expensive blades not peel?

That, and the fact that referring to knives as weapons is almost universally frowned upon here. There's been a lot of trolls on here lately, so forgive me.

To answer your question: yes and no. A higher quality coating may wear more slowly and evenly, whereas a cheaper coating may wear quickly and poorly. However, with use, all coatings will eventually develop wear.

Also, a patina is oxidation. Whereas rust is an actual chemical change in the steel, a patina is a thin layer of iron oxide on the surface of the steel and actually is said to aid in preventing actual rust from developing.

Once again, with all due respect, I suggest that you start researching or using google for some basic information on knives and steel before posting threads such as this one. This is a friendly and helpful community, don't get me wrong, but it may help to avoid looking inexperienced or foolish in the future. In such a case, I understand that there may not be much to find as far as resources go, but on this forum and others is a wealth of knowledge and information available. I mean no offense, just some friendly advice.

Last edited:
That, and the fact that referring to knives as weapons is almost universally frowned upon here. There's been a lot of trolls on here lately, so forgive me.

To answer your question: yes and no. A higher quality coating may wear more slowly and evenly, whereas a cheaper coating may wear quickly and poorly. However, with use, all coatings will eventually develop wear.

Also, a patina is oxidation. Whereas rust is an actual chemical change in the steel, a patina is a thin layer of iron oxide on the surface of the steel and actually is said to aid in preventing actual rust from developing.

Once again, with all due respect, I suggest that you start researching or using google for some basic information on knives and steel before posting threads such as this one. This is a friendly and helpful community, don't get me wrong, but it may help to avoid looking inexperienced or foolish in the future. In such a case, I understand that there may not be much to find as far as resources go, but on this forum and others is a wealth of knowledge and information available. I mean no offense, just some friendly advice.

No problem and sorry didn't realize there was anything wrong with calling knives weapons. What's that about exactly? So basically like any other blade, you get what you pay for with the coating. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Patina's actually a good thing? Definitley didn't know that. I did a search and couldn't find any information on it which led me to believe it didn't exist but I just wanted to make sure.

So that I don't have to make another thread, does anyone have any good suggestions for good quality black coated swords I could purchase? I've seen alot of short swords like that but not many full length swords(Besides katanas). Sorry if I'm not being too specific, the majority of the time I don't know what I want until I see it.

No problem and sorry didn't realize there was anything wrong with calling knives weapons. What's that about exactly? So basically like any other blade, you get what you pay for with the coating. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Patina's actually a good thing? Definitley didn't know that. I did a search and couldn't find any information on it which led me to believe it didn't exist but I just wanted to make sure.

So that I don't have to make another thread, does anyone have any good suggestions for good quality black coated swords I could purchase? I've seen alot of short swords like that but not many full length swords(Besides katanas). Sorry if I'm not being too specific, the majority of the time I don't know what I want until I see it.

No problem, I didn't mean to come off as arrogant or make you feel stupid. I can see you're a new user here and I hope you stick around, there's a lot to be learned here and plenty of friendly and knowledgeable people willing to help.

As far as knives being referred to as weapons, many feel that it brings an undesirable negative stigma and inaccurate image to the world of knives. Many, myself included, see knives as tools or even art before seeing them as weapons. Of course, there are knives designed with that purpose in mind, but they still are not confined to the category of "weapon". I would just as soon be calling a screwdriver a weapon. For instance, you can't open a package or eat a fruit with a gun... Well I suppose you could, but it would be messy.

I'm not too sure what your price range is, but you may want to check out the Swamp Rat Rucki or the Busse AK-47 (if you can find one).

gun blue will work on most carbon and tool steels, and the decarb layer can be nice and dark if it isn't finished off

There are also custom makers who do a nice dark finish on blades that will likely have the look that you want.

Barry Dawson comes to mind.

yhst-7321468305845_2195_5600372

Probably a forced patina on 5160, but the finish holds up pretty well.

There are definitely dark blades out there. Damascus steel, when done right, can some out quite dark

CelticWolf6.jpg.gif

Damascus_Knives.jpg

There are also coatings that a VERY durable. Becker coatings last a LONG time, as do Busse coatings

images

gemini_black_blkpaper.jpg

A blade with a heavy patina can be nearly black as well

images

There are also custom makers who do a nice dark finish on blades that will likely have the look that you want.

Barry Dawson comes to mind.

yhst-7321468305845_2195_5600372

Probably a forced patina on 5160, but the finish holds up pretty well.

They Cold Blue alot of their blades. That one is.

No problem, I didn't mean to come off as arrogant or make you feel stupid. I can see you're a new user here and I hope you stick around, there's a lot to be learned here and plenty of friendly and knowledgeable people willing to help.

As far as knives being referred to as weapons, many feel that it brings an undesirable negative stigma and inaccurate image to the world of knives. Many, myself included, see knives as tools or even art before seeing them as weapons. Of course, there are knives designed with that purpose in mind, but they still are not confined to the category of "weapon". I would just as soon be calling a screwdriver a weapon. For instance, you can't open a package or eat a fruit with a gun... Well I suppose you could, but it would be messy.

I'm not too sure what your price range is, but you may want to check out the Swamp Rat Rucki or the Busse AK-47 (if you can find one).

Thanks. About the whole calling knives weapons things, for me it's because I bought them primarily for self defense and as tools second but I'll try to avoid calling them that.

I actually don't have any money at the moment, I'm just trying to find something to strive for if you know what I mean. Since it's my first real blade I guess I want to stay around $200. I took a look at the two you suggested and they're both pretty rare an expensive. I couldn't even find the Busse AK-47, only custom sheaths for like $80 lol.

@darkaether
It's funny I actually ran into that while I was looking up information on black steel. The wikipedia entry had me all confused though, making me thik it was strictly for guns.

@Crimsonfalcon07
How much would something like that cost, probably depends on the blade right? If it was reasonable then instead of looking just for black blades, I could look at them all and just get it turned black.

@BePrepared
Dude, what's that first sword? It looks epic.

You'll have to look at each individual maker to get a cost. Or you could cold blue it yourself, if you're feeling ambitious. Or etch with ferric chloride. I doubt you'll be able to find a really decent custom sword at 200 dollars though. I'm a hobbyist maker, and my short swords all would be more than that. And damascus steel is definitely going to cost you.

You'll have to look at each individual maker to get a cost. Or you could cold blue it yourself, if you're feeling ambitious. Or etch with ferric chloride. I doubt you'll be able to find a really decent custom sword at 200 dollars though. I'm a hobbyist maker, and my short swords all would be more than that. And damascus steel is definitely going to cost you.
I'd be hesitant about doing anything, to a blade I spent over $100 on. I don't know though, on ebay I find some high quality swords for under $200. One I've really been considering lately is the banshee sword which I've seen for around $160. It's more like a short sword though so maybe I'll get it as my secondary(Just wish the blade was black). There's also swords that claim to be made from damascs steel for under that but they seem to be mostly katanas.

@BePrepared
Just did some research on it and found the guys site. Looks like a excellent sword but I'm betting it's over $500 right lol? I saw a diffrent sword from the same creator on ebay for over $1000.

Last edited:
I'd be hesitant about doing anything, to a blade I spent over $100 on. I don't know though, on ebay I find some high quality swords for under $200. One I've really been considering lately is the banshee sword which I've seen for around $160. It's more like a short sword though so maybe I'll get it as my secondary(Just wish the blade was black). There's also swords that claim to be made from damascs steel for under that but they seem to be mostly katanas.

@BePrepared
Just did some research on it and found the guys site. Looks like a excellent sword but I'm betting it's over $500 right lol? I saw a diffrent sword from the same creator on ebay for over $1000.

I believe i speak for everyone here when i say that there is no such thing as a "high quality sword under $200". There are swords in that price range that are not TOTAL crap, and swords in that price range that are "somewhat usable" but high quality doesn't exist in that range, without exception.

If you want a sword that would even BEGIN to be functional as a weapon to bet your life on, you might as well save up another $200... for 400 you have options.

Back