Are there many counterfeit Vics out there?

I just ordered a Vic Hiker from a third party vendor on Wally. I didn't realize it would be coming from a third party vendor and when I saw the vendor name, it got me thinking they might send a counterfeit. The vendor is an electronics supplier located in Brooklyn, NY and many reviews about them selling grey market electronics. I did a google search and didn't see any info on fake/counterfeit Vic Hiker's but did see something on counterfeit Vic Rescue Tool and Champ.
http://archerwinsak.blogspot.com/2014/06/review-how-to-spot-fake-victorinox.html
https://thecounterfeitreport.com/product/369/Swiss-Army-Swiss-Champ-Knives.html

The vendor that showed up after my order processed was Photo 4 Less. Please, no lectures on buying from a "reputable" dealer, I had a gift card for Wally and wanted to use it, and it was not apparent it was a third party vendor supplying the knife. I know it will be backed by Wally if it is a fake. I just want to make sure I get the real deal when it arrives.

What was the price compared with average prices in the US for this model?

I just ordered a Vic Hiker from a third party vendor on Wally. I didn't realize it would be coming from a third party vendor and when I saw the vendor name, it got me thinking they might send a counterfeit. The vendor is an electronics supplier located in Brooklyn, NY and many reviews about them selling grey market electronics. I did a google search and didn't see any info on fake/counterfeit Vic Hiker's but did see something on counterfeit Vic Rescue Tool and Champ.
http://archerwinsak.blogspot.com/2014/06/review-how-to-spot-fake-victorinox.html
https://thecounterfeitreport.com/product/369/Swiss-Army-Swiss-Champ-Knives.html

The vendor that showed up after my order processed was Photo 4 Less. Please, no lectures on buying from a "reputable" dealer, I had a gift card for Wally and wanted to use it, and it was not apparent it was a third party vendor supplying the knife. I know it will be backed by Wally if it is a fake. I just want to make sure I get the real deal when it arrives.
There are ton of fake Vics out there! Not necessarily Counterfeits, just really crappy imitations. That said I usually take a close look at the saw blade first. None that I've ever seen do even a passable job on the saw teeth. They will be slightly uneven, some teeth sharper than others etc.

There are ton of fake Vics out there! Not necessarily Counterfeits, just really crappy imitations. That said I usually take a close look at the saw blade first. None that I've ever seen do even a passable job on the saw teeth. They will be slightly uneven, some teeth sharper than others etc.
Good call! The vic saws are top notch, I can see why that would be a good way to check.

Good call! The vic saws are top notch, I can see why that would be a good way to check.
If the model you are looking at doesn't have the saw blade, then it really comes down to the action of all the tools. That also seems to be difficult for the fakers. SA knives have VERY nice action."Walk and Talk" so to speak. They give a good "SNAP"! when you open and close them.

If the model you are looking at doesn't have the saw blade, then it really comes down to the action of all the tools. That also seems to be difficult for the fakers. SA knives have VERY nice action."Walk and Talk" so to speak. They give a good "SNAP"! when you open and close them.
Absolutely. The SNAP [TM] ;) and the walk’n’talk is probably half the appeal. I’m really liking my new Pioneer X, using it at my very office based job. (Farmer is for when I’m allowed off the leash.) But I did order the regular 2 layer Pioneer the other day. Just because...

I'm not talking about cheap knock-offs, I'm talking about an attempt at a full blown counterfeit, logo, blade stamps and all. I've had my hands on many cheap knock-offs, I know how bad/cheap they are made. I'm just curious if there are known counterfeits out there. I can't seem to find any evidence of them, which is good.

Last edited:
I'm not talking about cheap knock-offs, I'm talking about an attempt at a full blown counterfeit, logo, blade stamps and all. I've had my hands on many cheap knock-offs, I know how bad/chap they are made. I'm just curious if there are known counterfeits out there. I can't seem to find any evidence of them, which is good.
Yes, I haven’t heard much about it either, but it’s the times we live in. I get your concern.

Counterfeiters usually go for higher priced knives, Striders, ZTs, Spydercos etc.

For the amount of work that goes into faking them, it seems that they get done in massive batches, and so they kind of flood out into the market all at once, and then slowly fade away. Last year and 2016 there were piles of rescue tools on the market, and whoever is making the fake champs is possibly still forking them out, but I doubt even the really good fakers could get even close to Vic quality at that price point. You'll know if it doesn't look right, the Hiker should have all the tells, bad back-side philips, bad saw, and weak springs.

Wow, I had no clue fake Vic's existed.
Everyone knows those dollar store
" camping pocket knife " wannabees, but I've never seen one with the logo on it and stuff.
This is just another good reason I prefer to do as little online shopping as possible.

Last edited:
That has been my experience with Vics and similar SAKs other than Wenger. Vic owns Wenger now. I just bought a small Tinker model the other day. That broke the ice for my 2018 knife buying; so I waited 2 full months to buying anything new. Going to play around with it to see if I like it or I like the size. But I think I do. I have lots of SAKs.

That has been my experience with Vics and similar SAKs other than Wenger. Vic owns Wenger now. I just bought a small Tinker model the other day. That broke the ice for my 2018 knife buying; so I waited 2 full months to buying anything new. Going to play around with it to see if I like it or I like the size. But I think I do. I have lots of SAKs.
Cool! Let us know how you end up liking it!

Back