Are there two different HT for the new spec 4.1 3v?

Guys, I see new spec 4.1 3v has two different heat treatments,One with delta stamp and The other one doesn't have it. Are there two different HT lines for 4.1 3v? What's the difference between them?
My English is bad, so I have to ask questions at the forum, and then get a clear answer to help me make the choice.

I hope we can get you the answer you need.
All 4.1s should be delta heat treated.

Where did you see different markings on 4.1s? The new 4.1 and 4.7 look very similar so if you saw them separately they can be easy to mix up. All 3v 4.7s are the "old" heat treat and all new 4.1s should have the triangle next to the 3v indicating the newest delta heat treat.

Last edited:
From my understanding all of the knives moving forward are going to be the D3V from the new spec 4.1's on. The 4.7 and 5.1's prior have been the PHT. To be honest, I can't tell the difference between the PHT and D3V heat treats on the new spec GSOs. I think the only way to tell would be to "torture" test the blades. I have noticed a difference between the old spec 3v in the pre-2015 GSOs regarding corrosion resistance. Edge retention is also slightly better on the new spec PHT and D3V versus the older models.

Just to illustrate how similar they are:

Pretty close, right? The 4.7 is on top and 4.1 on bottom.
20170707_220617_zpsunz2qdh2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

B blzwow
Aha! That's a really good point and something I never noticed. The top pic you posted is a real new spec 4.1 that I'm guessing was posted by the owner.

If the bottom pic is from the SURVIVE! website like I think it is, I'm guessing that stock photo was taken before the d3v symbol was put into place.

Thanks for these examples. Despite this discrepancy, any new spec 4.1 that you can buy will be DELTA 3v steel.

B blzwow
Aha! That's a really good point and something I never noticed. The top pic you posted is a real new spec 4.1 that I'm guessing was posted by the owner.

If the bottom pic is from the SURVIVE! website like I think it is, I'm guessing that stock photo was taken before the d3v symbol was put into place.

Thanks for these examples. Despite this discrepancy, any new spec 4.1 that you can buy will be DELTA 3v steel.
Thanks man.I get it now

I spoke to Peter's at Blade and they said that the low temper heat treat used on 3v is going to be about 97% the edge retention of delta. No one can tell the difference. They also said the non delta might be about 3% tougher. It's negligible but of course the little triangle is cool and makes me think it's a superior product so my ego wants it lol. Trying to be mindful!

Not sure if there was a miscommunication or if I'm misunderstanding but the point of Delta is improved edge stability. Go watch the videos from Nathan Carothers of him chopping nails and concrete blocks in half and not hurting anything past just the edge with knives that have thin geometry. The D3V rivals INFI in its ability to take abuse in a thin edge.

Not sure if there was a miscommunication or if I'm misunderstanding but the point of Delta is improved edge stability. Go watch the videos from Nathan Carothers of him chopping nails and concrete blocks in half and not hurting anything past just the edge with knives that have thin geometry. The D3V rivals INFI in its ability to take abuse in a thin edge.

Correct. Bolded portions in both quotes is my doing.

Between Delta and the previous tweak, the corrosion resistance is the same, the abrasive wear resistance is the same, the gross toughness (resistance to breaking) is the same, the primary difference is in edge stability, particularly resistance to damage in rough use, which results in better edge retention and more tolerance to accidently hitting a rock or a tough knot etc.

Back