Are thumb-stud knives illegal in Canada?

I'm pretty new to knives, but I find them very useful tools and some are simply very nice-looking knives, and I was wondering if knives that use a thumb stud to open (Ex. CRKT CEO) are considered illegal in Canada. I've read in various places that prohibited knives are defined as:

"a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife"

However, since thumb studs are attached to the blade, not handle, I'm thinking these are allowed.

Does anyone know for sure?

Thumb stud knives aren’t prohibited within Canada, but a 2018 ruling from the CBSA seems to have interpreted them as prohibited under their list of items banned from import. In other words, they’re legal to sell, possess and carry within the borders of Canada, but trying to import them from out of the country has been extremely difficult lately and led to many confiscations. If you live in Canada, your best bet would probably be to try to get them from a dealer inside the country.

Thumb stud knives aren’t prohibited within Canada, but a 2018 ruling from the CBSA seems to have interpreted them as prohibited under their list of items banned from import. In other words, they’re legal to sell, possess and carry within the borders of Canada, but trying to import them from out of the country has been extremely difficult lately and led to many confiscations. If you live in Canada, your best bet would probably be to try to get them from a dealer inside the country.
Any idea how canadian online knife stores are keeping them in stock? I got a fun little boker karambit last year with thumb studs from warriorsandwonders, and they have enough stock that it can't possibly be what's left over from 2018

Back