Are we the Walter Mittys of knives?

There's a difference between learning skills and indulging in fantasy. It's a fine line that many users cross over from time to time.
You don't go around (all the time) fantasizing that a bus full of super models with a flat tire needs saving...

Mister, you are ruining the entire reason I get up and head out of the house each morning. :D

@Quiet the wife and I see a naturopath regularly, and it is great. However, our N.D. is also a U.W. educated M.D. who knows the value of modern medicine when S.H.T.F. There's no substitute for the modern stuff when it comes to health care, and only a fool keeps it old skool when your life is on the line... that includes whoever is giving you medical advice, in my experience.

The wife and I watch this TV show about a crew from Alaska who comes down and helps out homesteaders who don't quite have it all down pat. It's great to see the skill set that they have and are willing to impart upon their fellow "rough-its", and I respect the hell out of those folks willing to give it a run.

It ain't me though. Don't get me wrong.... I'm prepared for the power to go out and supplies to get short for a time, but I don't welcome that time.

All that being said... Yeah, I'm a Walter Mitty type of knife guy. ;)

You could try a Pioneer Experience Weekend at the Genesee Country Village and Museum in western New York...

https://www.gcv.org/experiences/pioneer-house/

Don’t get me wrong, that’s interesting; but, what I had in mind was something more elaborate. Like a living study of ancient to present field fortifications, bridges, shelters and other more elaborate structures.

this stuff:

http://lly.org/~rcw/cwf/fortification_images/p2_02614u/index.html

https://www.nps.gov/tps/how-to-preserve/currents/earthworks/hist_overview.htm

The kind of thing that might require the coordinated efforts of hundreds of volunteers over an extended period of years to build, explore, maintain and improve. These elaborate works are as relevant today as they were during the dark ages. But, from our perspective, it would create a virtual laboratory to learn about and test our favorite tools, since these things were erected largely with skill and hand tools.

What better way to experience first hand the ideal roles for axes, hatchets, knives of all types; and countless odd hand tools that are barely identified or remembered. The kind of place where someone could join in for a few hours our a few weeks, to join specific organized work details and really discover how our favorite tools could be employed to best advantage, and which of those would be best applicable to specific roles.

n2s

NewFind the right Boy Scout or Explorer troop and volunteer as a leader.
Nah - that would drive a person insane.
The scouts don't allow anyone to carry or use a knife with a lock.
They consider it - too dangerous.

Same with a fixed blade - those are too dangerous also.

Idiots....

Nah - that would drive a person insane.
The scouts don't allow anyone to carry or use a knife with a lock.
They consider it - too dangerous.

Same with a fixed blade - those are too dangerous also.

Idiots....
What is their reasoning behind that policy?

That's the insane part. Although to be fair to the Boy Scouts (I am not sure they even exist at this point) look at the material they are working with. The biggest problem with the kids is trying to separate them from their cellphones and video games. Most of the kids haven't seen a knife before and the sight of one in their hands might cause their parents to faint.

n2s

Nobody could explain it - other than to say it was for "safety reasons". I just walked away shaking my head at how sad a state of affairs the world is in these days.
I should also mention - this came about around 12 years ago when my grandson was in the scouts. I gave him a knife with a lock & he told me they weren't allowed to use them. (knives with locks)

Like I said - idiots.

Nobody could explain it - other than to say it was for "safety reasons". I just walked away shaking my head at how sad a state of affairs the world is in these days.
I should also mention - this came about around 12 years ago when my grandson was in the scouts. I gave him a knife with a lock & he told me they weren't allowed to use them. (knives with locks)

Like I said - idiots.

I can see some advantages to starting someone out with a traditional folder but, restricting modern locking folders is just plain bat guano crazy.

Of course, it looks like BSA’s days are numbered anyway. With all the legal issues and all.

There are about a kajillion (obscure numerical term) courses about "bushcraft". The ESEE guys run some where you fly down to someplace near the equator, and learn how to survive with what you've got in your luggage. I don't think any of these are what you want.

A little bit of waffling with search terms turned up this article:

https://returntonow.net/2018/01/06/...nity-discovered-hiding-appalachian-mountains/

Somebody's blog, I guess? They're out there, for sure, and this group says they have a fair number of people who come to them because they want to learn how to live off-grid. Lots of people are willing to take you on an extended camping trip, if you sign a check. Finding people who have fully committed to a pre-steam lifestyle may be a little difficult, because they don't advertise what they're doing.

Edit: even this lot has some electric equipment, and a codified "visiting season". I guess they don't want to risk a freshling freezing to death?
Straight up. I think I would rather find an experienced woodsman online, a dude on one of these forums, an older guy, lots of truly wise old dudes here, and write him a check for a couple weeks of camping, hunting, fishing, woodcraft, than I would pay some dudes like ESEE to send me to the equator to survive with my luggage.

Better yet, make a friend into it, go down on a trip with that person and offer to help out with everything they're wanting to do in exchange for learning some skills while you're at it.

I live near the heartland of Mennonite country in Ontario Canada.

It is interesting and somewhat humbling to see how the old-school Mennonite community still thrives with the bare minimum of modern "necessities". Those horse and buggy folks still use the same tools that their great, and great-great grandparents used for farming and daily chores. Those tools have seen a hard life, but keep on giving.

A good old fashioned barn-raising is an amazing thing to see if you get the opportunity. It embodies the very essence of a time gone by, using tools that most of us would (wrongly) frown upon.

Time has stood still for these folks, and they do just fine with the "survival" tools they have.

How about something like "Weekend at Bernie's": but with knives?

A casual glance at YouTube or the discussions here would have you believe that we spend most of our time battoning, making feather sticks and burning wood. Indeed we are left with the impression of a vast army of giant human-size termites devouring a forest at speeds that would impress Paul Bunyan. But, we know it’s not true, if it were so we wouldn’t see the conflagrations that engulf many populated states happening with such regularity. All of the dead wood fall in those forest would be feeding camp fires and roasting marshmallows rather than ending up in a forest inferno.

It’s cool to be whimsical as a little whim is often what separates fun from hard labor. So if you want to imagine yourself whittling a 100’ spruce into a 200’ anchor chain, then power to you. But, I do wish that there were more places where we could do it for real. Adult summer camp where we could witness or participate in shelter building, log cabin or fascine construction. Where only hand tools are used so we can appreciate how things were done back in the 18th century. I realize there probably are a few “living museums” operating. But, I doubt that many of these achieve a level where we can see entire communities being established, using a wide array of cutting tools.

Let me know if you aware of anything like this. It is ok to have a fertile imagination, but it would be better if it were grounded in reality so we can better appreciate how our favorite tools were actually used .

n2s

There are historical preservation societies lurking around that rebuild old stuff.(the word escapes me)

They will quite often use traditional methods.

Heritage listed is the term we use anyway.

Back