Are you a hardwoodsman?

I know there's some of you lurking around who know what I'm talking about, so stand up and be counted.:D

For those of you that don't know, Iawoodsman and I were talking one day about how most all the bushcraft/woodcraft information out there focuses on boreal forest regions and skills. With good reason seeing how it makes up most of the worlds forests, but that doesn't help those of us a lot who live in hardwoods areas.
So the hardwoodsman group was born. I started making videos generally focused on bushcraft but more tightly focused on hardwoods bushcraft.

[youtube]u8bNK9eGNL4[/youtube]

[youtube]915BKQ916nw[/youtube]

Like I say in the videos, it's not a separatist sort of thing that I want to get across. I've learned most of what I know from my boreal forest brothers. I'm so jealous of you guys that have fatwood and birch bark.
So if you're in a hardwoods area, say howdy and feel free to share any tips you've got.
Iz

Heh. I dig it.

Oh, yeah, if you guys are from Boreal areas you're welcome in the Hardwoodsman group, too.
Being a hardwoodsman isn't just about where your from, it's also a state of mind.:D
Iz

So that includes me then =) I got plenty of both hard and soft woods around here.

You might say I am one lucky guy. (insert smug and obnoxious emoticon)

dancing%20smiley.gif

;)

rock oak, white oak, red oak, maple, birch, pine, black walnut, gum, locust, osage orange, cherry, shall I go on? :D I would say I'm a hardwoodsman.
Scott

Well I live in a boreal forest area but we do have a lot of hardwoods.What I love are there are areas up here you could go 30 miles and not hit a road or trail. Would love to have a bushcrafter get together up here sometime.

Mike

So that includes me then =) I got plenty of both hard and soft woods around here.

You might say I am one lucky guy. (insert smug and obnoxious emoticon)

dancing%20smiley.gif

;)
Heck yeah, that includes you. You've got the best of both worlds and that makes me mad with jealousy. And those awesome mountains you've got, I don't gots no mountains.:(

rock oak, white oak, red oak, maple, birch, pine, black walnut, gum, locust, osage orange, cherry, shall I go on? :D I would say I'm a hardwoodsman.
Scott
Heh. Yeah, man you're in.:cool: Most of those make you a hardwoodsman but the one in bold makes you an automatic.:D

Well I live in a boreal forest area but we do have a lot of hardwoods.What I love are there are areas up here you could go 30 miles and not hit a road or trail. Would love to have a bushcrafter get together up here sometime.

Mike

Mike,
I'd love to head up there someday. When I think of big woods where you live is what comes to mind. I've never been there but I've read about and dreamed about it for a long time now.
I can't wait to get up there sometime.

I live in Oakland MD, Get it OAK LAND!!
Hey, brother!
Good to see you on, I was just getting ready to give you a holler to make sure you hadn't fallen off the face of the earth.:D
You sir, are a hardwoodsman.
Iz

You can count me in! Only fatwood I have I bought at Menards! Nebraska cottonwoods, russian olives and cedars with some maple and hackberry thrown in. And can't forget those darn scandi's suck on hardwoods.

You can count me in! Only fatwood I have I bought at Menards! Nebraska cottonwoods, russian olives and cedars with some maple and hackberry thrown in. And can't forget those darn scandi's suck on hardwoods.

Amen, brother!:D
Iz

I am Hardwoodsman, hear me roar! You might see that phrase again real soon hehe. Yes sir I stand up proudly with my brothers and say "damn the hedge"!

I am Hardwoodsman, hear me roar! You might see that phrase again real soon hehe. Yes sir I stand up proudly with my brothers and say "damn the hedge"!

Yeah, guys Koa's got an article coming out in the debut issue of Bushcraftusa magazine about the hardwoodsman. Check it out........if he ever gets it done!:mad:;)
Iz

Oh hush now, don't you have knives to make or something rather than razz me about a fantasy magazine that will never be finished?

all i have is cholla cactus and joshua trees! :eek:

oohh, wait! mesquite and acacia are hardwoods. :D

Mike

Porcupine Mountains would be a good spot place for it.

Back