Are you a hardwoodsman?

Welcome, brothers, we've been waiting for you.:D

If any of you guys have tricks for your area and you want to do a little how-to, feel free to make a thread here on it. I'd love to see how you guys do things and I know there are lots of guys out there in the hardwoods that would appreciate the help.
Iz

Count me in! Beech-maple forests to the south, oak-hickory forests to the north. No pines anywhere, unless they're planted in someone's yard.

We've got oak, ash, hackberry, mulberry, elm of several sorts, maple, and lots of other trees that ain't softwoods here. So I suppose I could probably be counted in the hardwoodsman group.

Count me in! Beech-maple forests to the south, oak-hickory forests to the north. No pines anywhere, unless they're planted in someone's yard.

I know what you mean, man. I robbed the local cemetery of their pine resin when they lopped off some limbs not to long ago.:D Other than that there's no pines around here.

We've got oak, ash, hackberry, mulberry, elm of several sorts, maple, and lots of other trees that ain't softwoods here. So I suppose I could probably be counted in the hardwoodsman group.
Heck yeah! You're in the hardwood brotherhood.:D
Iz

No joke man. Our stomping grounds are one in the same. I always dig the names of your blades cause Ive been to dang near all those places. :D

Also, I watched your hardwood videos on your site today. Very well done. :thumbup:

I guess I could be a half breed hardwoodsman. Here in middle/south ga you can go from a pine plantation to hardwood filled swamps, bottoms, and ridges pretty quick.

No joke man. Our stomping grounds are one in the same. I always dig the names of your blades cause Ive been to dang near all those places. :D

Also, I watched your hardwood videos on your site today. Very well done. :thumbup:

J,
Yeah, I figure I'll never run out of names seeing as how many creeks and waterways we have around.
Thanks for the encouragement, man.

I guess I could be a half breed hardwoodsman. Here in middle/south ga you can go from a pine plantation to hardwood filled swamps, bottoms, and ridges pretty quick.
C,
We're a non discriminating entity. We'll take full breeds or half breeds. :D
Glad to have you, man.
Iz

Oak, Hickory, Honey locust, Osage orange (round here we call it Bois d'arc), mulberry, hackberry, maples, persimmons....can I join?

Another hardwoodsman sounding off. The Cross Timbers area has almost nothing besides Blackjack Oak, Cedar and the occasional Cottonwood (seeing as Sumac doesn't count!!)

Live in the Pine Barrens, some oak and maple, BUT I play in the hardwoods of PA and NY and northern NJ.

Yup, most of the forests by me are dominated with Oak, maple, and beech. We do run into some Easteen Hemlock, but not always. However, if you find water here in New England you are bound to find some Birch trees.

I made a bow drill fire with White oak last week. It was actually alot easier than I thought it would be.

Tony,
I've heard of guys using white oak for the bow drill, that's awesome!

You are an official hardwoodsman in my book. Welcome, brother....we've been waiting for you.:D
Iz

G'day Iz

All of our dominant tree species in Oz (ie Eucalypts & Acacias) are hardwoods, so you could say I have some experience with them :D

Kind regards
Mick

Back