Are you sick of the fact that CRKT use's AUS6m

Did you folks ever tought about the fact that the majority of knives sold is not even AUS-6, it's some crap version of 420. Think about all the POS knives.. they produce MUCH more then CRKT, Benchmade, Spyderco, Microtech, Timberline, Camillius ... all together.

This is basically a pyramid structure. The lower your steel quality & price, the bigger the amount is gonna be you will sell, if it's a good design. If you wanna get up the pyramid (and use better steel), you will sell less.

I think CRKT tried to deal with this by producing several lines, I've seen them use ATS-34, All Aus series, some other steels. It doesn't really seems to work, as most high-end productions by CRKT seems to sell less.

There are two companies I know of, who have stepped out of the pyramid once. Microtech with their LCC (way too low price for the quality, steel and design offered), and the next is gonna be Camillius, with their maxx 5.5. Never tought it was possible to offer a 6 inch framelock in D2, with cool design, flipper, and facy anodizing for 140 $.

Greetz and take care, bart.

I haven't checked all of the threads.

But, I wanted to ask out loud of those of you who don't like CRKT using steel x on model y, have you sent snail mail, e-mail or a telephoen call to CRKT to tell them? Custoemr input might change things. I e-mailed Benchmade about an axis Stryker a while ago. They DO keep tabs on these things.

The problem is whether several hundred requests and letters, etc. will really get the company to change.

Bart, you're right -- all those junk knives that leave a bad taste in a forumite's mouth are usually the ones being flicked open on a daily basis for the simple chores.

And Dave, no, I didn't leave out a zero. I just barely make a living. I have partially-subsidized housing, but no other assistance from the government whatsoever -- I'm just not poor enough according to them.

My first knife was a CRKT when I came back to collecting. It was an M16, I was disappointed in edge retention and it became a pain to open.....nylon washers age badly. So I started looking around and reading about knives. Now I make better choices. If you like CRKT.....good bless. But I believe Kershaw still gives better choices on price/quality.

My first knife was a CRKT when I came back to collecting. It was an M16, I was disappointed in edge retention and it became a pain to open.....nylon washers age badly. So I started looking around and reading about knives. Now I make better choices. If you like CRKT.....good bless. But I believe Kershaw still gives better choices on price/quality.
Dude, you are responding to an 18 year old thread. I don't disagree though.

18yrs isn't that long for me. Plus the thread isn't closed.
Okay then. Since you are new I'll give you a bit of friendly advice, necro posting is frowned upon so I wouldn't make a habit of it. Bringing long dead threads back to the surface can lead to confusion, people responding to posters who haven't logged on in years, just because the thread is now back on page one. Take for example the topic of this thread. CRKT hasn't used AUS6 in 10-15 years. It isn't relevant at all. Someone doesn't look at the date of the thread and starts posting about how they can't believe CRKT would use such a steel in this day and age!

There are lots of other more recent threads that you can give your experience.

Just an FYI.

I bought two CRKT's before I knew what was going on. Not too much money, but too much money for the products. Their steels are neither here nor there to me. I've never bought another one.

However necro, this offers an interesting historical perspective. Apparently, the "CRKT has cool designs but uses substandard steel" is a consistent trend. How many threads have we had within the last year on their use of 8Cr13Mov? Given the relatively high prices of their recent 8Cr knives compared with a much richer field of Chinese budget knives in better steel today, do you think this trend is likely to change?

Holy necro thread, Batman!

I’ve stayed away from CRKT precisely because of this. I believe there are other budget knives out there with more durable construction and better steel. My Dad’s CRKT Provoke is one helluva knife though.

Off-topic, but how do necro threads even pop up? From search functions? By clicking on the 57th page in the forum?

I'm part of the CRKT "decent designs, poor execution, namely materials" group.

I haven't bought a CRKT in many years. I bought a M21 when it first came out, I liked it better then the M16. CRKT won't get any of my money anytime soon. I skip the Blade show CRKT booth videos each year on yt.

Back