Are your pigs flying, Cold Steel is making a knife out of state of the art materials

This new Warcraft Tanto is apparently made out of CPM 3v
:nightmare:
http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/13TL/Warcraft_Tanto.aspx

13TL_1.jpg

Of course that brings the question of who makes it

I wouldn't touch that thing with a ten foot poll for $300 you could get a custom (yes I know $186 dealer)
I would however buy a couple of the code-4 series.

I wouldn't touch that thing with a ten foot poll for $300 you could get a custom (yes I know $186 dealer)
I would however buy a couple of the code-4 series.

I feel the same way. Now, it says US Steel, but is it built in the US or somewhere else?

I just saw a pig flying on a Geico commercial yesterday! Just sayin...

I feel sorry for 3v, the product is about to get scrutiny like never before!

I feel the same way. Now, it says US Steel, but is it built in the US or somewhere else?

As far as i know CPM runs its steel at Niagara which is in US.

Now being a CS nob, i have to say i'm excited about it. 3V isn't your average steel.

After VG-1 and AUS-8 CS has finally come up with a steel that's refreshing. It's probably the only fixed blade i like so far for 2013.

My last name is def not Thompson.

As far as i know CPM runs its steel at Niagara which is in US.

Now being a CS nob, i have to say i'm excited about it. 3V isn't your average steel.

After VG-1 and AUS-8 CS has finally come up with a steel that's refreshing. It's probably the only fixed blade i like so far for 2013.

My last name is def not Thompson.

3V steel is leaps and bounds ahead of what they have been using. I have 2 CS knives, and I like them a lot, but they were dirt cheap and one of the is carbon steel. They needed to be using a better Stainless to compete with the quality of Benchmade, Spyderco or ZT. That said, it isn't a bad looking knife, but I am very partial to american tanto points.

I just knew when I opened this thread it was going to be the Lawman, or recon I was so excited. Already had my credit card out...... Well at least its a step in the right direction.

As to the original post, Its not a bad looking knife. 300 is a bit high, but at the 180 mark I wouldn't mind checking it out. Not that i really have a need for a big honkin tanto fixed blade, but good for cold steel.

Nice to see something different coming out of there...

$309 USD?!?!? Is he smoking crack?!?!?

The MSRP of the Zero Tolerance 0100 is even higher and it is made of the same materials. The hate and hypocrits never ceases to amaze me."Omg the Zt is AWESOME and at a good price for a chunck of 3V!!" " I wouldn't touch that Coldsteel 3v blade with a Ten Foot Pole!".

Not my favorite blade shape, but it looks really well made. I gotta say the price doesnt seem out of line to me, especially compared to the competition.

jstrange

The MSRP of the Zero Tolerance 0100 is even higher and it is made of the same materials. The hate and hypocrits never ceases to amaze me."Omg the Zt is AWESOME and at a good price for a chunck of 3V!!" " I wouldn't touch that Coldsteel 3v blade with a Ten Foot Pole!".

ZT vs Coldsteel.......That's like comparing a BMW to a Toyota Carola.

wow, now please incorporate some of this into at least one folder. Love to see a Recon 1 in 3V.

im glad that cs is moving on up to some better steel ,,good for them and us ,,

I dunno, the beefiest CS folders are proven to be tough animals. All ZT has on them is price, edge holding and status.

3V steel is leaps and bounds ahead of what they have been using. I have 2 CS knives, and I like them a lot, but they were dirt cheap and one of the is carbon steel. They needed to be using a better Stainless to compete with the quality of Benchmade, Spyderco or ZT. That said, it isn't a bad looking knife, but I am very partial to american tanto points.
FYI, 3V is not a stainless steel. It is an incredibly tough tool steel with decent wear resistance for how tough it is. It has 7.5% Chromium (11% min. to be considered SS), so it is not horrible in the staining department, like the 1000 series carbon steels. 3V fits this knife well.

it's 3/16" 3V with G10 scales. It would be more like a Toyota versus Lexus, as in same materials and same construction method. There are two screws on this fixed blade, no washers, pivots, locks, backspacers, etc. It would also be interesting for someone to actually find a comparable knife either production or custom that is actually cheaper than MSRP or street. It is really going to come down to sheath quality as far as bang for the buck.

it's 3/16" 3V with G10 scales. It would be more like a Toyota versus Lexus, as in same materials and same construction method. There are two screws on this fixed blade, no washers, pivots, locks, backspacers, etc. It would also be interesting for someone to actually find a comparable knife either production or custom that is actually cheaper than MSRP or street. It is really going to come down to sheath quality as far as bang for the buck.

Exactly....

People seem to be getting way to carried away already comparing this knife to others when they haven't even seen it yet.....

Build quality and F&F could be excellent, right on par with others in similar price ranges, but then nobody knows until they get into peoples hands.

People shouldn't assume anything or they just might be eating crow....

Last edited:
Back