Are your pigs flying, Cold Steel is making a knife out of state of the art materials

Is anyone else imagining this with a coffin handle?

b8uEdN7.png

Yes? No? Maybe so?

It sure didn't take long for this thread to turn into an absolute mess.

Could we possibly wait until someone has some actual facts, or heaven forbid, actually examines and uses the knife, before proclaiming it either the best thing since sliced bread or an utter waste of time? :rolleyes:

You said utter! Ha

Is anyone else imagining this with a coffin handle?

b8uEdN7.png

Yes? No? Maybe so?

A Bagwell/CS warcraft tanto?... :confused: Nah, not a chance.

Indeed, that rendering job is phenomenal. They spared no expense making that look like real G-10.

Well, it is faux G10 right? ;):D

I like how you think

Dam this thread got big fast

Persian style points are just too awesome not to like IMO. That, and great minds think alike. :rolleyes::D

I am a little skeptical of this knife (it does look good on paper or in pixels), But the reality is that in the last few years most of the Cold Steel high end knives are close to unobtainable (for those who have the inclination). The wait time on many of them are longer than a custom knife of equal "real" price, quality and value (6 to 12 months for a overseas factory blade? Really? What? Do they build a new factory for each new run)***. If a San Mia III blade is in stock you can bet it has been on someone's shelf for a long time just waiting to be sold. Anything "in demand" San Mai and you can expect to wait up to a year.

Given Cold Steel poor handling of quality overseas production, I doubt that this knife will be any different. Perhaps a few will ship to a few lucky Cold Steel Cadets and that, in turn, will shut all the talk about their single mindedness of steel, mid range steels (at least in the Cadet"s minds). And I'm not going to hold my breath for any folder in anything other than Aus8 from them either as others have suggested. Hasn't it been 4 or 5 years from the time they made even a San Mai Folder? And By the way, that folding thing they are calling a "Talwar"? I have a San Mai III Talwar and that "2002 Aus8 Scimitar blade on a Voyager stick" just aint no Talwar.

Look at it this way, the last roll out of a new line of large fixed blade knives was the "Leatherneck" which started of well enough with SK-5 but then was slamgraded to "Kitchen Aid" Krupps. Should anyone be surprised if the Warcraft line gets the same treatment in a year of two? No, I don't think so.

Just Sayin.

***(There may be some truth in that question, they do have a problem holding on to manufactures over the years it seems to me)

Last edited:
I'm happy to see a great response to this knife, if you are a cold steel style tanto fan you should love this knife. If not, hang in there with the success of this project we hope to use 3v and other high end steels in many more places. We hope to keep the supply up with the demand, and have a good chance to do so.
As many have noticed, yes, we have a really good computer guy. I believe what you see there is a photo of my original hand made sample he worked on. That's why the g-10 looks so good.

I would really like to see a Lawman in this steel. I *love* my Lawman and unfortunately can't splash for a real Demko-made iteration (and the upgraded steel therein), but a Lawman made from this CPM3V would be a great folding knife (not that i don't like the AUS8 in my Lawman, but it could be better - though understandably at a price increase).

I would really like to see a Lawman in this steel. I *love* my Lawman and unfortunately can't splash for a real Demko-made iteration (and the upgraded steel therein), but a Lawman made from this CPM3V would be a great folding knife (not that i don't like the AUS8 in my Lawman, but it could be better - though understandably at a price increase).

This. Or S30V. Or new Demko designed folder with upgraded steels.

This. Or S30V. Or new Demko designed folder with upgraded steels.

I think the linerless G10 folders make the most of the Tri-Ad lock. So, the Recon, the American Lawman, the AK-47, and the Hold Out. I think the Recon, the Lawman, and the AK-47 would be best served by an upgrade to 3V or another super tough steel.

I think the linerless G10 folders make the most of the Tri-Ad lock. So, the Recon, the American Lawman, the AK-47, and the Hold Out. I think the Recon, the Lawman, and the AK-47 would be best served by an upgrade to 3V or another super tough steel.

Agreed. I think if you put S30V in the Lawman and managed to keep it under $110 or so it could authentically compete with the Paramilitary 2. More of a focus on hard use and heavier, but I would say an equivalent value.

I'm happy to see a great response to this knife, if you are a cold steel style tanto fan you should love this knife. If not, hang in there with the success of this project we hope to use 3v and other high end steels in many more places. We hope to keep the supply up with the demand, and have a good chance to do so.
As many have noticed, yes, we have a really good computer guy. I believe what you see there is a photo of my original hand made sample he worked on. That's why the g-10 looks so good.

Good to see you ringing in Andy. :)

Without any doubt, and as I have said before, there are some really great people associated with CS. I sure hope you are spot on with you hopes for the future and direction of Cold Steel and how they interpret and market your solid designs. But after years of seeing Cold Steel down grade good designs with thinner blades and mid grade steels to lower production cost it is hard for me to believe they are going to step up to there "Custom Series" of years gone by. While they were expensive, I do miss the days of titanium frames, steel bolsters, Micarta handles and San Mai III folders. I other words, I miss the day when Cold Steel's best knives were closer in quality to the knives you put your maker's mark to.

"Best of all, it's a great value. Please don't throw away hundreds of dollars on similar knives..." Taken from the Cold Steel catalog
in reference to their G.I. Tanto. It's nice to finally see some higher quality blades marketed by CS but as usual, their statements come back to bite them.

I am shooting for that direction, and this is the first step. We are somewhat outside of you comfort zone, well at least I am. Usually it's "here make this" and I wait to approve the factoy sample. Now were doing most of the production steps here in PA and some how I became in charge of them.

I am shooting for that direction, and this is the first step. We are somewhat outside of you comfort zone, well at least I am. Usually it's "here make this" and I wait to approve the factoy sample. Now were doing most of the production steps here in PA and some how I became in charge of them.

I find that very encouraging. Can't wait to see what's in the pipeline.

Looking forward to this ! :thumbup:

Back