• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Arizona Custom Knives?

I'll ad a Positive Recommendation- I bought a knife and it didn't appeal to me so I returned it without any problems. Good service even when it didn't work out.

Last edited:
I've never sold through them, but have bought a few times. Great to deal with, will gladly buy from them again.

Does anyone have experience selling through Arizona Custom Knives
on consignment? I did read through their FAQ and noted that they take
25% of the sales price, need you to send the knife to them, and their payment
can be slow. Just wondering if there are any positive points.

Been selling through Arizona Knives for many years now. Advantages, send knife, forget about it, pay me reliably when knife sells. They can sometimes fetch more $ then I can selling on my own, so I mark price up by the 25% they charge. They have a very big viewer base . They work with me, answer right away if I have a question, very one on one person to person. Hope this helps!

Been selling through Arizona Knives for many years now. Advantages, send knife, forget about it, pay me reliably when knife sells. They can sometimes fetch more $ then I can selling on my own, so I mark price up by the 25% they charge. They have a very big viewer base . They work with me, answer right away if I have a question, very one on one person to person. Hope this helps!

I am curious... Why dig up a three year old post?

I am curious... Why dig up a three year old post?
Why? Um. Because I don't know any better.

Been gone from the forum a while, came back got excited, wanted to get involved, in a hurry, saw something I know something about, (actually the first post to come up on my screen) shot off a reply. And presto! I'm an idiot. Sort of into computers... but not usually fooling around, entertainment, getting involved in discussions. In general I'm busy. Not convinced I know how to answer a post, any post. Unsure if I have ever done so successfully. Oh well! Miles

Why? Um. Because I don't know any better.

Been gone from the forum a while, came back got excited, wanted to get involved, in a hurry, saw something I know something about, (actually the first post to come up on my screen) shot off a reply. And presto! I'm an idiot. Sort of into computers... but not usually fooling around, entertainment, getting involved in discussions. In general I'm busy. Not convinced I know how to answer a post, any post. Unsure if I have ever done so successfully. Oh well! Miles

Gotcha. No harm no foul was wondering if you had to go dig it up in the boneyard of forgotten posts. Apparently not! :thumbsup:

Yes- first discussion to come up- could have to do with the lat time I was on the forum? (couple yers ago?) I'd add that 25% is not a bad % to loose when selling consignment. I have had to give up 50 even 60% to galleries. It cost knife makers to sell knives themselves! If we keep track of the math, it cost more then 25% for show fees, travel. advertising etc etc. I like consignment in general when I just want to stay in the shop and make knives!

Well... since the thread's been revived, here's my take. I've bought from them before and had no issues. What I like as a buyer is that you can generally low ball the asking price and the seller is generally willing to accept it. After all, they're listing the knife because they want to get rid of it and/or need the money. The folks at AZC are nice to deal with, and some good deals can be had here.

I almost decided not to respond, setting up today at a knife show... but some thoughts on my mind. Maybe an over-long reply! I appreciate the honest candid view towards buying and selling. As it happens, just a day ago I was contacted by Arizona knives, letting me know a customer wants one of my knives for about half price, will I accept the offer? I commented to Arizona that the blank damass steel I began with can by itself cost more than the amount being offered for the finished knife, and what is the buyer thinking? For example I sometimes buy steel from some of our forum dealers, paying $200 for enough for a knife. Now I understand better, how some customers feel!

Custom knife makers tend to be creators, which is a personality type, with the rewarded being 90% the joy of creation. It can be more important to get your specially created knife into the hands of someone who appreciates it, then getting paid top dollar! Selling is almost the opposite end of the spectrum, the thrill, talent, of making the almighty buck. It is rare for the two talents to be within the same person.

From a business standpoint, it can be wise to let someone else sell for you and collect a %. My shop time creating knives is maybe $60 an hour. I'm not as likely to make $60 an hour sitting at the cash register as a salesman, well especially in my home community of Nenana Alaska, population 300 people! . Oh, that is not my income, but what I need to bring in to cover costs and make a profit. Anyone who sells understands it cost to sell! I have a show coming up that up front costs are $5,000. I'm just tossing numbers out in hopes readers will understand. On top of that, advertising, biz cards, brochures, displays, shop costs if we have a shop....

As a buyer, places like Arizona knives offer convenience! Hundreds of knifemakers, thousands of products, all at the click of a button, scroll on down! Many choices, price ranges, situations. You put 'knives' in a search engine and I might show up 10,000 names down the list! If you somehow figured out how to show up on my doorstep and wanted just 'a knife,' for a deal, most of us makers have rejects, knives customers did not pick up etc we could offer 'half price.' Or if we liked you. If you asked for something special, you might pay more than if you went through the middle man! After 40 years of being in business I do not even want customers showing up on my doorstep! (?!) You are interrupting my shop time, or fishing trip I might well be headed out on.

It would not go over well to say, "Shop time is $60 an hour, or $1 a minute, how much of my time would you like to buy?" How rude!!!! So fine, go away. I do however volunteer my time at a local museum gift shop. I tell bear stories, give free walking tours, answer questions, while not being on the shops payrole. If you trip and fall I do not get sued. You have a good time and I find that rewarding, a break in my day of sitting at the grinder or bandsaw.

You show up at my house, I am a nice guy. I'm going to ask you to stay for dinner, because you tell me you'd love to try a moose steak, with picked today garden salad, followed by a boat trip fly fishing, the time of your life, my every day routine I'm headed out on, "Why don’t you join me!" However 99% of the human race will shake my hand and thank me, telling me, no they do not see a knife they want to buy, or, because we are now 'friends,' and I am such a nice guy, want it for half price. If you go to Arizona knives, or any shop, you are not their friend, they do not care who you are and you do not have to get along with them. You are a customer and they step forward with outstretched hand, ready to serve you, you are not interrupting their day, because you are paying their salary.

Some customers want a story, a relationship, a special knife with memories. That is when it is good to meet the maker. 'A deal,' is yes, more about the shop. You can buy a diamond ring the size of a dime in a gum machine for a quarter. If you bring it to a jeweler, to show off your bargain, I assume you'd get told "You get what you pay for." I have custom knives, hand engraved, custom wood handles for $25. Any legit knife maker will show you the difference between a $400 custom and a $25 knife. My own minimum requirement difference is 10 times as good, demonstrated with a piece of paper, and or a hammer and brass rod, or flex test. I can explain how I can make a profit on a $25 custom knife if asked. It's no more of a rip off then the 25 cent dime size diamond. I sell art for $1, but also just sold a necklace for $1,200 to someone who considered it a bargain. It helps sellers to understand what a buyer expects and needs, also for the buyer to understand what the seller faces. Yes, sometimes sellers get in a bind, cant pay the rent, for a variety of reasons, have to liquidate at below costs to pay the bills. Sometimes a buyer can be the shark, circle, wait and get in there to snag such a bargain, or help create such a situation. I've never been in such a bind. I assumed someone who asks to pay half of what something is worth is destitute, needs my kindness as one puts a quarter in the cup. I do try to help those less fortunate then me. I forget some people want half price just because it's a way of life, "Everything everywhere is overpriced!" It's an interesting view I need to keep in mind and keep an eye out for, well be reminded of, I keep forgetting! To stay in business I have to have something for everyone. I find it an exciting challenge to meet all those needs. Anyway I hope to explain not all knife makers dump inventory on outlets like Arizona Knives as a last resort because they are desperate.

Yes, sometimes as a seller I mark the price up a little when sending out to the middle man. In my view a customer who wants that convenience, unwilling to take the time to look up their favorite knifemaker, should expect to pay a little more for that saved time and effort. For those who do not agree, 'whatever,' I as well have a deal for you.

And yes, I sold dirt cheap to that customer who felt he needed a deal. I might have broken even and made nothing. Why? First, I am happy, doing well, with no money stress. Because I rip people off? I say because I know how to do business. "Who are you who decides ripping me off is a fine way to be? Whatever, I do not have time to argue." I focus on the good news and I have enough customers who like how I do business, appreciate my prices, and pay what I ask because they agree it's a deal. I can afford to feel sorry for people who have to have a deal. Is this an odd view of the world and way to do business? I'd be interested in some opinions. (from both buyers and sellers.) Especially happy and successful ones. I do suspect there are many ways to skin the cat.

^^ This was an interesting and informative read. Thanks for making me smile. :) You are a good man.

I'd like a moose steak and salad, before we go fishing! Haha! :thumbsup: :D

Back