ARK wish - wharncliffe LC200N

As long as we are wishing for things :)

I wish for an ARK with a Yojimbo/Ronin style wharncliffe blade in LC200N Plain edge
In other words a straight and pointy knife that holds an edge better than H1 in PE but is still rustproof. I'd actually take one in S110V !
Same size same handle otherwise. Great little knife but I want it stabbier and Janich has the blade shape pretty dialed in.

That is in addition to an H1 hawkbill SE blade :)

As long as we are wishing...

Last edited:
I'ld be in! The Ronin and the Reverse are too big for me to carry. If they ever come in a 3" or even a 2.99" blade I'll be all over them..

I want this as well, just not s110v like you mentioned. I like the H1 but would try the LC200N. I've worn the ARK almost every day but would get more use out of the wharncliffe shape

It'd be like an upgraded, much desired version of this:

CAM02151_zpsigzk2plz.jpg

The result of a crazy night between the ARK and the Minimalist, like a mini Jumpmaster in LC200N!

CAM02283_zpspqq2gnlx.jpg

20160102_091234_zpscqnlpc1r.jpg

I'd be in for two or three, love my ARK but not its shape, love my CRKT but not its steel

20160102_090447_zpsijt6oace.jpg

A mini jumpmaster would be nice. I want it to have an aggressive point like the Ronin though. I almost got a Sheepsfoot enuff, but I am not sure how I could mod the blade...dremel?

also I want at least a 4" handle so I can get a firm four finger grip.

actually you know what. I think I'll buy a Ronin or Reverse and grind the blade down to 3" or I'll lock out a YO2 and carry it fixed in a sheath...

Agree on the point for sure. I have a sheepsfoot Enuff and it is a nice little knife, but for the ARK mod I want a straight pointy point, not a curved sloping not really a point point. Different uses.
I really want this on the ARK platform, though. A smaller Ronin would be good too and I normally prefer a 4" handle for strong 4-finger grip, but the ARK is a pretty secure grip for the size and much more ergonomic for me than something like the Swick style grip (I bring that up just for comparison with other neck knives from Spyderco) which was nice and compact but limited to one grip that did not fit my hand very well.

A mini jumpmaster would be nice. I want it to have an aggressive point like the Ronin though. I almost got a Sheepsfoot enuff, but I am not sure how I could mod the blade...dremel?

also I want at least a 4" handle so I can get a firm four finger grip.

I reground and made pointier my Jumpmaster with elbow grease and sandpaper...

CAM02246_zps5i42ybgq.jpg

CAM02393_zps3kk0p80k.jpg

CAM02457_zpsbqfgvzev.jpg

and a lot of patience. H1 is soft, but work hardens

CAM02239_zpskcvurnhm.jpg

Dremel could be used, but H1 is a very peculiar steel to grind and sharpen

I think something like the Daily Kiri would work better than a wharncliffe ARK. It's the little knife here.

SAM_1005.JPG

I actually prefer this handle shape, though:

DSC07262.jpg

John

Last edited:
I think the ARK is a great platform to experiment with how much and what kind of function can be packed into a small and easily carried blade that is still controllable and useful. Kiri is one option. Personally I have never had much use for one and find wharnies more useful. I do a lot of point work and like a relatively long straight or slightly curved cutting edge with the point on the leading side of the blade (rather than the trailing side. On a 3+ inch blade a shape like the PM2 or Mili is easily my favorite. The point on those is more centerline. Another way to achieve a leading cutting edge (like a Kiri) with a long straightish cutting edge is a pointy tanto blade, like the ZT0620. Obviously a compromise with a very short blade. I still favor a wharnie style :) Personal preferences and how we use blades will be very individualistic, which means we need a lot of ARK variants to test :)

A mule for compact knife function, instead of steel ?? What do you think, Sal and Eric ? :) :)

Heh. :)

I have to say, though, that the ARK's handle was specifically made to accomodate a deeply curving blade, not a straight one.

Last edited:
Heh. :)

I have to say, though, that the ARK's handle was specifically made to accomodate a deeply curving blade, not a straight one.

That shows the genius of the design - adaptation is built in :)
Adjust blade - handle angle if needed. But look at the mileage Folts has gotten from the Minimalist handle/platform. The Ark handle accomodates more grip choices. Take a look at the small Real Steel neckers too. Nice handle but not as secure feeling to me as the Ark, and several blade shape options. Pick a desirable steel, do the same thing as those with the Ark. I'll even buy one of each in the mule test spirit ;)

Well, if we are dreaming, how about san maiing a S90V core with a LC 200 N jacket, keeping this ARK handle, but narrowing the belly and lengthening the blade out to about 3 1/4'. A wharnie or Ronin shape works for me but just keep it slim to minimize printing when worn under a shirt. I have tried many neck knives, I love my Perrin Street Beat but would rather have a thinner something, as rust prood as possible, that still holds a wicked edge. Truth be told, I get a lot of use around the house out of my thin steak knife set and would love to have a way to carry one with me, with a slimmer, grippier handle while not ruinning it with sweat. Sweatproof, low profile, sharp edge, longer blade for light to medium duty. Maybe last ditch tactical, should the need arise.

Sal? Eric?

Back