Arkansas Knife Show 2019 Review and My Thoughts

Logan Pearce

Awesome Sauce Smith (A.S.S)
Thank you so much! I couldn’t have asked for a better group of people to share this event with. Let me know what you think! Good, bad, or indifferent. Anything that I can possibly change to make it better, you know that I will do my best to do so.

I can’t express how grateful I am to have each of you be a part of this every year. At the banquet, I usually start off by saying that, but I’m not sure if you understand how greatly I truly appreciate the support.

You are what make it great.

So much is brought to this show. The caliber of makers, phenomenal knives, and kind people are what make it what it is.

Like every show. Some makers sold out, some did okay, and some didn’t sell a thing.

The door sales/foot traffic was greater this year than last year, but only by a hundred people or so.

The crowd was an interesting one, compared to last year.

Last year, we had a bulk of people at the beginning who stayed around for a long duration of the show. It’s what my registration staff have been calling our burst crowd. Where it is dead for a little while, then 100 people show up at the same time, then it’s dead for a bit in the front. They are huge fans of that. That way they get a break without having to call on one of the inside the show staff members.

This year, it was a constant flow. I was surprised by that we did have more people. See last year I geared my advertising to anyone and everyone. This time I narrowed it to custom makers. So, we didn’t have the guys looking for a $30 folder from Wal-Mart.

So here was my promotion for the show:

Radio Stations: I set up 36 different radio stations around Arkansas and the surrounding states, running ads and doing interviews with maker and collectors that wanted to go on air. Circling Little Rock with half a dozen of those interviews and making it's way out to the largest populated cities within as reasonable of a driving distance as I could imagine. As my budget allows, I ran them for 3-4 days before the event rather than the week like I did last year.

Knife Magazines: Blade/Blade Show and Knife magazine. Knife Magazine itself has been running ads for the last few months for us, in different sections, but around the show calendar to boost awareness. Blade has a full page ad for the show at their show, plus they run us amazing coverage of winners of the show every year.

Magazines: nationals magazines, regional magazines, and then local magazine. At the show, there were magazines being given out by just a few of the ones that either did articles before hand of the show or are doing articles about the makers that attend/the show for in the future. One of them being a state wide magazine 'About You Magazine' that goes by AY Magazine, did a great article on various makers in Arkansas and promoted the show. Which many of the attendees who came to the show, commented on seeing the show in there before coming to it. Also, I hit Arkansas Living and Arkansas Life, but one of them didn't really care too much for us, so they just let us have a small online thing. However, I'll take whatever I can get, even if it is them just putting us in the event calendar.

Newspapers: From there I hit 3 national newspapers, and 7 regional newspapers. Who ran an ad for me before the show, then will be running a small insert about makers or the show afterward. I prefer them to run it about a specific maker after, since I think it's wasted space to promote the show a year and a month before the next one. I think it would be better right after to promote the people who support the show.

Billboards: I picked the 4 highest traveled roads and put up billboards for the show, about 20 miles out from the show. From there, I came close to the show and had small billboard/signage, being ran on and inside of metro buses. Simply because I wanted to see my knife on the side of a bus.
clip_image001.png
But also, because they go a different route everyday. In the end hitting hundreds of thousands of people. The minimum order for those signs is 26 signs, in which I order 52 small across a fleet of buses to be inside and outside of them

TV: I hit the Channel 4, Channel 5, and Channel 7 before the show. For those of you that came to the show and some guys going around with large cameras that was Channel 4 and THC11. They did come in the middle of the show, rather than at the beginning of the cutting competition, which was an annoyance. But! I'm just happy that they are willing to support the makers and the show. My continued relationship with them will help the show and hopefully timing much better in the future. However, we were taken care of very well by all networks.

Social Media: For the entire year, I have had someone posting up content from makers that are either coming or have come to the show. Since Facebook and Instagram continuously get harder and harder for promotion for knives, I had to do paid ads through other influencers rather than just a normal ad for the show. For that, I choose people with no less than 200k people to 2 million people. Ranging from people from the state of Arkansas to just nationwide. I had to resort to Google Ads and everything from that point, since the policy of Facebook and Instagram state that I cannot advertise for a place of sale of a weapon. Instead of trying to fight that and potentially lose what public appearance of the show it has on those two social platforms, I just continuously post work and other events of the show on it throughout the year.

Forums: BladeForums: Most of the makers posted on their own instagram, rather than participating on there as well. Guys. People on there care about knives. It’s in the name. I think it's bad marketing for your business if you put all your eggs into one basket. It is your business though. If you don't want to help their sales as much as possible, then that's your decision. I posted about the show and a good number of knives that I photoed for other people before the show on hunting, fishing, archery, outdoor, and art forums. One per category really. Varying from state to national on that as well.

Flyers/Brochures: So, this time around, I paid to have 5,000 brochures for the show sent to addresses of Arkansas that frequent archery shops and outdoor stores. In addition to that, all of the people that signed up for the door prizes last year were sent a flyer a week before the show.

My plan for next year is to either double the amount that I can double or extend the promotions longer. As far as local advertising goes, I don’t see myself ever doing it for more than 2 weeks straight. I think more than 2 weeks on a local level is a waste of time. Plus, I doubt I will ever have the budget for that.

What I do want to do, is blanket all the roads, billboards, downtown streets, newspapers, radio station, tv networks, and magazines in the state the month of the show. That is one of my main goals. All while continuing to promote it to the knife community and nationwide as per usual.

I’m working to get there slowly, but surely.

I do think that the cutting competition at the end of the show hurt us more than it helped us. Instead of the people hanging around to see it, they left saying they would come back. Which means I created the 2-day show effect that I do NOT want. I want it to be urgent and for people to know that this is limited.

I will most likely put the cutting competition back on Friday. This will help with the TV airing to actually help the show, plus the other local publications will have time to use the material to boost up our attendance. However, that means the $30 folders thing will come into play again.

Those people are great to have! I’m not complaining about that in anyway. Honestly, I can’t complain about anything. I’m surrounded by amazing people, great makers, collectors that care, and more friends than I ever knew I had.

I thought the energy of the show was great! Makers and patrons alike. It shows so much promise for the show’s growth. Everyone is putting so much effort and positivity into this. Which is why people want to come.

Oh and the amazing looking knives.

We will be moving the show to March.

Next years date is March 21, 2020.

This will help with a whole lot of things. It makes my life easier. The weather is less hazardous. And mainly, it will be better for buyers to come. Most of the other shows are working with me to keep from us being on the same weekend or too close to it.

I hope you guys enjoyed this book. Lol.

Again: Thank you to everyone for helping. What you are doing it great for the community and each individual maker. Without events like this, less people would know about our craft. I couldn’t have asked for a better group of people to share this event with. I can’t tell you how much it all means to me.

I believe we will have an even brighter year next year! And let me know your thoughts. That's why I am here.

I will also be posting up pictures from the show. We had an amazing photographer, Heather McLean, cover the entire event. So I will post them as I get them!

Ya did good Logan! The damage was done before you took over. Already see improvement these last two years. The lack of promotion on this forum is not on you, but is on makers and collectors. Also this forum ain't got the buzz it once had. Well done.

Thank you for your firsthand observations, insight, and all of your hard work to keep this Show going.....thank you for your personal touch and I hope to make it next March. :cool:

I’m really gonna make a push to get to this show next year. Diving into the custom fixed blade maket has been a great adventure over the last 2 years or so and it’s time to get out there and handle all of the knives I can....and shake lots of hands of course! I owe a face to face “thank you” to a few makers who have been really cordial when answering questions that I’ve had and making me some outstanding knives.

Thanks Logan Pearce Logan Pearce for letting us know wayyy in advance the weekend for the show next year. It’s good to start planning now (and saving lol).

Logan, my comment in the other thread was not intended to single you out personally, and with your very complete report on what you did do to promote the show, I see you did go way beyond to get things rolling. My comments were based on my past experiences at the show and also the fact that my perspective is based on only what I see and hear from over here in Texas. With that perspective in mind, I didn't see or hear a lot prior to the show. Also the coverage (primarily) on Forums and Social Media with still action photos, and videos after the fact is a very important part of the promotion of the show in general, both this year and subsequent years. Coop did an admirable job this year as he always does when he is present, but he can't get out and get the action shots while the show is in progress ie., Banquet shots, Makers interacting with collectors and customers, etc., just fun stuff. I believe this causes some non attendees to vow "I"m gonna make it next year!".

One of my personal, (very personal) concerns was the change of venue. I really like the Double Tree and the fact that the show was literally almost in the same building. Down the elevator in the hotel, a couple of steps across the corner of the underground parking and BANG! you're in the show. This is a very favorable consideration for an old fart like me.

Final analysis, You did good. Build on your success

Paul

Ya did good Logan! The damage was done before you took over. Already see improvement these last two years. The lack of promotion on this forum is not on you, but is on makers and collectors. Also this forum ain't got the buzz it once had. Well done.

Thank you! Definitely looking to have an even better year next year. :thumbsup:

Fantastic effort. Great to see knife events whenever and wherever they happen.

The more the merrier!

Thank you for your firsthand observations, insight, and all of your hard work to keep this Show going.....thank you for your personal touch and I hope to make it next March. :cool:

No problem! It's going to be amazing!!

I’m really gonna make a push to get to this show next year. Diving into the custom fixed blade maket has been a great adventure over the last 2 years or so and it’s time to get out there and handle all of the knives I can....and shake lots of hands of course! I owe a face to face “thank you” to a few makers who have been really cordial when answering questions that I’ve had and making me some outstanding knives.

Thanks Logan Pearce Logan Pearce for letting us know wayyy in advance the weekend for the show next year. It’s good to start planning now (and saving lol).

It's a great place to see some amazing work. Hard to beat talking face to face with these guys!

Logan, my comment in the other thread was not intended to single you out personally, and with your very complete report on what you did do to promote the show, I see you did go way beyond to get things rolling. My comments were based on my past experiences at the show and also the fact that my perspective is based on only what I see and hear from over here in Texas. With that perspective in mind, I didn't see or hear a lot prior to the show. Also the coverage (primarily) on Forums and Social Media with still action photos, and videos after the fact is a very important part of the promotion of the show in general, both this year and subsequent years. Coop did an admirable job this year as he always does when he is present, but he can't get out and get the action shots while the show is in progress ie., Banquet shots, Makers interacting with collectors and customers, etc., just fun stuff. I believe this causes some non attendees to vow "I"m gonna make it next year!".

One of my personal, (very personal) concerns was the change of venue. I really like the Double Tree and the fact that the show was literally almost in the same building. Down the elevator in the hotel, a couple of steps across the corner of the underground parking and BANG! you're in the show. This is a very favorable consideration for an old fart like me.

Final analysis, You did good. Build on your success

Paul

No worries, Paul. I didn't take it personally, I just wanted to make sure you and everyone else knew that there is (a lot) of publicity going for the show. More so than most people know. Coop has done an amazing job the last two years at the show. All of the content from his photos, photos of the show, and photos from the events that I hold through out the year just for this show are promoted all year long on the AKS social media accounts.

Instagram: arkansas_knife_show
Facebook: The Art of Steel Show

Those are the Instagram and Facebook pages, where content is uploaded daily.

I do hate that the show isn't as easy to access as it was before. If there was a way that I could fix it, I definitely would. I know that if I move the show, I'm only going to do it once. The room we were in before was half the size as the one we have now. I have the door sales number from the past ten years and they were much lower than mine now. The difference is in a room half our size, half the number of attendees looks like a ton of people. Simply because they are congested. But I'm always looking over each part of the show, location, promotions, etc to see what I can do better than the year before.

This was my first LEGIT knife show to attend. A great big thank you to Logan and all of the makers and suppliers who made the show what it was. I attended the Friday banquet and the show Saturday, I dipped out for a few hours around mid day but came back for the cutting competition.
When I walked into the banquet I scanned the room 3 time for a cash bar but there was none to be found. Walking around casually talking to some of the makers present was definitely worth the gold ticket price.
The show Saturday held some of the finest blades I’ve ever seen and some affordable pieces along with a solid materials selection. Every maker I spoke to was very personable and engaging.
My friend that came with me bought 2 kitchen knives and I picked up some handle materials and made contacts for other materials and my first full custom knife.
Walking the show floor was a wide variety of patrons, from the collectors that flew in and bought several $,$$$ knives and order more, to buyers who were being exposed to custom makers for the first time, and fathers walking the floors with their sons. All there for the same reason, a great appreciation for what was being presented.
I heard about the show via Instagram and a mention here on BF(but not much more than a peep here).
It was pretty cool to see the cutting competition. With 15ish participants it was a solid addition to the show. I would have loved to have seen a cash bonus rope cut. Say $200 1”,1.5”,2”,2.5”,3” till only the last man is standing.(Just a thought)
I caught up with a few makers after the show around some beer taps and got the feel that sales were off for some, but hopefully they made contacts that will come to fruition at a later date.
All in all it was a great show from the spectators POV I hope you and the makers made out well.
Hope to make many more.

This was my first LEGIT knife show to attend. A great big thank you to Logan and all of the makers and suppliers who made the show what it was. I attended the Friday banquet and the show Saturday, I dipped out for a few hours around mid day but came back for the cutting competition.
When I walked into the banquet I scanned the room 3 time for a cash bar but there was none to be found. Walking around casually talking to some of the makers present was definitely worth the gold ticket price.
The show Saturday held some of the finest blades I’ve ever seen and some affordable pieces along with a solid materials selection. Every maker I spoke to was very personable and engaging.
My friend that came with me bought 2 kitchen knives and I picked up some handle materials and made contacts for other materials and my first full custom knife.
Walking the show floor was a wide variety of patrons, from the collectors that flew in and bought several $,$$$ knives and order more, to buyers who were being exposed to custom makers for the first time, and fathers walking the floors with their sons. All there for the same reason, a great appreciation for what was being presented.
I heard about the show via Instagram and a mention here on BF(but not much more than a peep here).
It was pretty cool to see the cutting competition. With 15ish participants it was a solid addition to the show. I would have loved to have seen a cash bonus rope cut. Say $200 1”,1.5”,2”,2.5”,3” till only the last man is standing.(Just a thought)
I caught up with a few makers after the show around some beer taps and got the feel that sales were off for some, but hopefully they made contacts that will come to fruition at a later date.
All in all it was a great show from the spectators POV I hope you and the makers made out well.
Hope to make many more.

I'm glad that you came and I hope you come to more! In the past the cash bar never did very well at the banquet, but I am definitely going to see about having it back next year! That's one of the top things that I am changing about the banquet. The show is filled with amazing makers! I've talked to so many collectors that spent 10's of thousands of dollars on knives at the show, plus ordered more from other makers. I'm glad that you did hear about the show! I didn't promote a whole lot in Louisiana for the show, so I figure the only other way you would have heard about it other than on here and instagram/facebook would have been the knife magazines. Give me an idea of where else I could have advertised the show that you read/watch/listen too and I'll see if we can't get some ads there. I don't have the budget for a Fox News commercial at the moment though. :p

I love the rope cut idea! I am changing that back to Friday, so that I will have more time to mess with it. Putting it at the end of the show just wasn't a great idea. A lot of the makers were already tired from the show and day before, plus I was exhausted by that time. lol. I want to do a board cut, where it is a bracketed single elimination competition. Where two makers start cutting boards at the same time and the fastest one moves to the next round. I think it would be a fun thing to watch! The rope cut in that form could be a similar thing. It would be a little harder to do that one, but it's worth looking into.

As far as individual makers sales, I can only bring collectors in. After that it's on the maker. There were more than enough buyers and a few collectors did go home without buying a thing, simply because they didn't see what they wanted or what they did want was far higher than they wanted to pay. But like we said before, there were a lot of buyers that spent easily $30k at the show.

Personally, I had a blast! I loved seeing my friends. I wish I had more time to visit while there. I would like to figure out a place to have a thing like the Pit at Blade. Just some where for everyone to network and hang out. Slowly, but surely! ;)

This is the 2nd year I've planned on getting a table there and other stuff came up. Next year I think will be the year.

Back