Arkansas Toothpick (by Allen Newberry)

Last February on a visit to the Historic Arkansas Museum (They have a great knife exhibit!) inspiration hit me. After seeing this knife:

I decided that I needed to make an Arkansas Toothpick my self. Later that month I forged it out:

And I have been working on it here and there ever since. I originally was going to do a fluted walnut handle, but when I stuck the piece of stag that is now the handle up next to the blade I decided to change direction.

Here it is before shaping the guard:

It has progressed a bit since this last photo, but I am without a camera at the moment. I am really liking how this one is turning out so far!

My love for the Arkansas Toothpick started with my reading "The Garfield Honour" by Frank Yerby about 35 years ago.

I just got her all glued up! And now that I have a functioning camera, I'll have to snap a picture tomorrow.

You must get some big chunks of meat stuck in your teeth Allen. :D

Awesome toothpick.I like the stag vs wood too.

You must get some big chunks of meat stuck in your teeth Allen. :D

Awesome toothpick.I like the stag vs wood too.

Thanks!

You never know when your gnawing on some BBQ what will happen. My Grandma is cooking up some brisket for lunch, so I quess I should bring it along...

Thanks!

You never know when your gnawing on some BBQ what will happen. My Grandma is cooking up some brisket for lunch, so I quess I should bring it along...
Yeah,I can see you whipping that thing out at the table. :eek:

Sent you an email about the chopper BTW.

Back