Off Topic Arrrrggghhhhh. The Never Ending Parts-Needed Black Hole

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Cushing H., Jan 22, 2021.

1. Cushing H.

Cushing H. Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2019
    Just a vent....

I received in my ceramic platen I had ordered earlier in the week. Discovered that, due to some confusing wording on the website, the glass that came is too long after placing the safety shelf in place. I have a choice - wait something like 1 1/2 weeks to ship it back, have it shortened, then returned to me .... or take the chance that I could reasonably do the score and snap myself (no place near me will do the cut).

So .... after several hours of research, off I go to Home Depot to buy a glass scriber (oh, and some carpet tape to attach the glass to the platen.

get home, decide to take a little time in the shop to at least drill the holes in the platen and attach the shelf ..... only to look at the angle brackets that attach to the back of the platen, and realize IT is in the way of where the socket head screws for the safety shelf would protrude from the back of the metal platen. Scratch head - if the bolts for the safety shelf are in place, there is no way to screw the angle bracket onto the metal platen. on the other hand, if the bracket is in place, there is no way to screw the socket head screws for the shelf through the back of the metal platen.

Oh.... (substitute your preferred word here).

spoke with ameribrade, and they agreed that grinding away the offending parts of the brackets would work .... but I would rather not do that. Alternative is to drill the 1/4 hole through the platen, then countersink the back side, and put in place flat head machine screws in place of the supplied socket head screws.

So NOW I need to go buy an appropriate sized countersink (believe it or not I dont own one), AND find the right geometry screws. That is tomorrows first errand I guess.

So .... who on earth NEEDS knifemaking as a hobby if all the time is taken up with fussing around and getting the right parts just to get in place the equipment to make the knives .... that you then dont have time to make, because - no doubt - there will be ANOTHER little piece of equipment or tooling that needs tweaking???????

Rant Over.... :)

2. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Most of us use a $20 "too long glass platen" purchase as an excuse to order a $100 10" flat platen assembly and associated wheels. Heck, why not toss in the water cooled platen back for an extra $60.

ChristoDart likes this.
  3. Cushing H.

Jun 3, 2019
    Hahahahaha..... (which was literally my reaction).

4. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Don’t get into a hobby of working on $hit if you are going to complain about working on $hit.

I feel the frustration though.

Rody likes this.
  5. AVigil

AVigil Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Can't you just put on the glass and then use the side mounting bolts to take on and off the platen?

If you use JB Weld you do not need a support bracket

seanj likes this.
  6. weo

weo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 21, 2014
    Is it possible to use the existing bolts/screw holes that attach your mild steel to the bracket and just get longer screws and put the angle shelf between the platen and the bracket and use a washer or 2 for the top screw?

7. SS369

SS369

Nov 29, 2015
    The platen liner: Wouldn’t a tile saw cut it? Maybe an angle grinder with a diamond blade. Or if there is a glass shop near by, they could most likely trim it for you.

Jason Fry likes this.
  8. seanj

seanj Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2010
    If you have an existing platen that you are replacing, just grind the glass to size with your current one. Glass grinds easily. Just watch the dust particles...not good for you.

9. Cushing H.

Jun 3, 2019
    Oh man... that’s WAY too much geometry for me to think about right now.

10. Cushing H.

Jun 3, 2019
    You are taking me too literally ... I was just trying to inject a little humor... basically I agree with you...

11. Cushing H.

Jun 3, 2019
    Ummm ... I’ve been cautioned on a number of fronts to NOT try to grind this ceramic ?

12. Cushing H.

Jun 3, 2019
    Yeah, but ... I don’t have a tile saw. One glass place said” we won’t touch anything where we don’t source the material”, the other place would not return my calls. Other places are just too far away for me to think of going to..... go figure.

13. Jesse Latham

Jesse Latham

Jul 4, 2010
    Find a rockhound or a mason with a diamond saw.

14. Hubert S.

Hubert S. Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2019
    Have you considered making a platen with an integral shelf from aluminum on your new milling machine? You could tap the mounting holes and bolt it to the L-brackets from the back. I think the shelf would only need to be 1/8" or so tall, giving you enough room to fit the ceramic platen without cutting it.

15. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011
    I've never used a safety shelf... Never had an issue and I run mine soaking wet and dry

Josh Rider likes this.
  16. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Same here. The only flat platen I have with a shelf came that way. All others have just been glued on. Not one ever came loose. Heck, getting them off requires a torch.

17. Cushing H.

Jun 3, 2019
    That was actually my first thought, but the shelf came (pre drilled and tapped) with the glass, so I figured I would try to use. Famous last words...

I wonder if aluminum is safe enough to use as a platen?

18. Cushing H.

Jun 3, 2019
    I know. I’m just WAY too wary of ballistic glass shards to risk it...

19. Cushing H.

Jun 3, 2019
    It’s just that I have this stack of blades waiting to be ground and I want to get this platen up and running.... :-(

20. SBuzek

SBuzek KnifeMaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 7, 2006
    My shelf is held on by 2 1/8" brass pins peened in place, grind the glass to length.

AVigil likes this.