Artisan Biome

I own 5 Artisans, all the cheaper D2 version, and they are all a good value for the $. However, I don't think what they offer in the higher end steels is competitive w/knives offered/priced similiarly by other makers.

My favorite Artisan is the Waistline. It was the 1st Artisan that I bought and the only 1 of the 5 I'd want to keep and have been thinking of selling the other 4 in a single lot, since they each only cost $40-50 each.

I'm not a big slip joint fan but I definitely like the design of the Biome and will consider buying it down the road.

QHGQiKY.jpg

19GZhbW.jpg

The carbon fibre Biome does indeed have flat sides, polished smooth and shiny, and appears to be of good quality CF. If you're wondering, the CF one is about a gram lighter. I can't decide if I like the carbon fibre or the natural G-10 better. Choosing which one to carry will probably be just like everything else I wear or carry; whatever I feel like at that time. I don't know what I'm gonna do with the black G-10 one though. Compared to the other 2, it's entirely unremarkable and boring. Maybe I'll keep it to have a spare blade for one of the other ones, or maybe I'll give it away.

All 3 are of equal quality. Tips centered when closed, no wobble when open, symmetrical grinds both on the handles and the blades, same pull and snap, and extremely sharp out of the box.

Last edited:
QHGQiKY.jpg

19GZhbW.jpg

The carbon fibre Biome does indeed have flat sides, polished smooth and shiny, and appears to be of good quality CF. If you're wondering, the CF one is about a gram lighter. I can't decide if I like the carbon fibre or the natural G-10 better. Choosing which one to carry will probably be just like everything else I wear or carry; whatever I feel like at that time. I don't know what I'm gonna do with the black G-10 one though. Compared to the other 2, it's entirely unremarkable and boring. Maybe I'll keep it to have a spare blade for one of the other ones, or maybe I'll give it away.

All 3 are of equal quality. Tips centered when closed, no wobble when open, symmetrical grinds both on the handles and the blades, same pull and snap, and extremely sharp out of the box.
Thanks for confirming the flat sides of the CF, I thought they were and chose the G10 as a result despite my love for CF. I fancied a more rounded scale.

Tried to report the above post but apparently I don't have permission?

Got my Biome with g10 scales today. Great pocket knife; easy to open, came sharp, weighs nothing in pocket, good snap.
Rich

Miso

I don't feel the back spring is weak; certainly no weaker than any slippy of the same thickness. The pull is light due to the ball bearing pivot - much less friction than a washer pivot, But back spring has good snap and no more likely to fold on you than any slippy as long as used correctly.
Rich

Miso

I don't feel the back spring is weak; certainly no weaker than any slippy of the same thickness. The pull is light due to the ball bearing pivot - much less friction than a washer pivot, But back spring has good snap and no more likely to fold on you than any slippy as long as used correctly.
Rich

Thank you, Rich, for the info.
I was not aware that it has bearings instead of washers (and even ceramic!?).
Interesting.
Now, I really need to get one!

Miso

Rich

Did you disassemble the knife and find ball bearings? The company's site says it has washer. Of course, it says it has a steel clip too.

Did you disassemble the knife and find ball bearings? The company's site says it has washer. Of course, it says it has a steel clip too.
It has a clip? I haven't seen that on any of the marketing pics.

It has a clip? I haven't seen that on any of the marketing pics.

No clip, that's my point. Their page says there's washers in the pivot, but also a clip, so I don't know how much attention they've paid to their own descriptions. Interesting that knifecenter says there's ceramic bearings, because if Artisan doesn't say there is, I don't know where KC would have gotten that information.

I really don't feel like disassembling any of mine to find out; slipjoints can extremely difficult to reassemble because the spring needs to be under tension.

I've checked several dealer sites; some say ceramic bearings, a few say bronze washers,some don't say.
Either way, I think it's a fine light weight slippy. BTW, came sharp, but I honed it to it would cut the hair off a gnat's arse. Certainly not sending it back. Love 12c27. If it holds up half as well as my 30+ y.o. SAK Tinker, I'll be happy--hmmm, that would make me 103, guess I'll never know.;)
Rich

Last edited:
Either way, I think it's a fine light weight slippy. BTW, came sharp, but I honed it to it would cut the hair off a gnat's arse. Certainly not sending it back. Love 12c27.

I found the same to be true for me. Sharp out of the box but a quick touch up with my ceramics and holy crap. These are actually the first experience I've had with Sandvik outside of an Opinel, and I'm liking it so far.

I e-mailed them, and a sales rep says it has no ceramic bearings.
The Artisan page sent with the reply says washers.

I e-mailed them, and a sales rep says it has no ceramic bearings.
The Artisan page sent with the reply says washers.

Good. Bearings on a slipjoint seem not only pointless, but like they'd be much more trouble than they're worth.

I went out on a limb and partially disassembled my Biome so I could see the pivot ---- NO Bearings, just bronze washers! Doesn't disappoint me, still a darn good slippy. Those dealer sites, including KC, need to correct their listings.

Rich

I went out on a limb and partially disassembled my Biome so I could see the pivot ---- NO Bearings, just bronze washers! Doesn't disappoint me, still a darn good slippy. Those dealer sites, including KC, need to correct their listings.

Rich

Were you able to get it back together?

Back