Photos Artisan Cutlery Tradition

DFzbKBh.jpg

A few months ago I was hanging out at my local knife store looking at my next Spyderco purchase. When I suddenly met another knife fanatic and we got talking. Next thing I know he's showing me his prized Olamic, but then he pulls out a Artisan Cutlery which he actually starts excitedly bragging about how great the knife was.

Well fast forward and the online retailer I buy from is having a sale and I notice the tradition for only $66 cad!!! OK well lets give it a try.

3ytz2i1.jpg

This is a whole lot of knife for the money...Maybe even one of the top ten.

Some basic stats:

Blade is a flat grind D2 Steel with a HRC of 58-60, and over all length of 3.94" and 0.15" thick
G10 Handle with nice rounded handles and pretty nice texture
Screws are anodized and CNC Machined
The action is on ceramic ball bearings
The spacer is also G10.

x7ssFVP.jpg

The lock up is great. It has the walker style angled lock up to prolong longevity. Though maybe a little cruder and less well done as per say a Spyderco.

DckdcYY.jpg

eFfkyeb.jpg

The ergonomics are fantastic! Even the clip which is usually a hot spot is less noticeable then other knives for me. And speaking of pocket clips this one is a pretty nice deep carry design, and isn't too tight. The knife pulls in and out of my pocket quite nicely.

SBWuhVR.jpg

The only thing that may benefit the ergonomics IMHO is some jimping on the thumb ramp

OxQ6zGH.jpg

I've seen people say this looks like a swastika. Personally I don't think so, but swastika's are a part of Buddhist culture.

2ubD4vm.jpg

Adjusting the pivot may prove tricky as you have to hold the other side with a flat screw driver.

x315NTM.jpg

MdgWyAA.jpg

I included a pic of a recent CKRT I bought used because I feel like on paper these knives are similar. They are about the same size, same price, and they both have ball bearing actions and are both made in China. Except the Artisan is a much better knife with a much better blade steel and better fit and finish. One is relying on looks to get your money the other is relying on quality.

IMHO I feel like how the Ontario Rat set a standard for "Budget" knives performing and feeling much nicer like more expensive knives. Artisan Cutlery has also raised the bar for what people should expect. The action is great, the design is ergonomic, and materials are decent. And top it all off it's cost effective.

1peJSCZ.jpg

Last edited:
I was never big into stuff coming out of China but with all the good stuff coming from certain companies I decided to give Artisan Cutlery a shot since I don't have WE kinda money lol. I think they are a very underrated company. I don't have the tradition but I have the higher end Proponent (to scales S35vn) and the budget Tomahawk, both are awesome.

Just another plus of the company, they have both high end and budget versions of most of their models. So if you see a knife you like but can't afford $200+ they have a $60+ option.

I was never big into stuff coming out of China but with all the good stuff coming from certain companies I decided to give Artisan Cutlery a shot since I don't have WE kinda money lol. I think they are a very underrated company. I don't have the tradition but I have the higher end Proponent (to scales S35vn) and the budget Tomahawk, both are awesome.

Just another plus of the company, they have both high end and budget versions of most of their models. So if you see a knife you like but can't afford $200+ they have a $60+ option.

The CJRB's just became available here. Can't wait to try one out

I've read their logo is a stylized person kneeling and bowing over a knife they have with its tip on the ground.

edited to add: Oh, the screw head looks like a swastika. I guess i could see that.

I’ve never even seen an Artisan knife in person but the other day I was looking at some of their new releases and they have several really nice looking knives..they had a couple of cleaver style folders that really caught my eye..if I remember correctly they either had copper or brass scales..absolutely beautiful knives and very reasonably priced..I’m no knife snob my knives range from as cheap as a Mora 511 and as high as a Microtech Ultratech..I buy what I consider expensive($150-$300) knives pretty often but I still buy more budget friendly knives as well..I’m not crazy about buying Chinese made knives with Chinese 8CR13MOV steel but I absolutely love cleaver knives and I loved the style and design of the Gerber Tri Tip mini cleaver..I know I will probably never even really use this knife but to me,the awesome design was worth spending $30..China has been stepping it up in recent years too though.WE/Civivi,Reate and Kizer make some great high quality knives..Steel Will,Civivi and Artisan all seem to make great more budget friendly knives..Vespa,No Limit and AKC seem to be pretty good Chinese OTF offerings..even the Chinese made Gerber,SOG,Kershaw,Buck,etc US based brands seem to be stepping it up for 2020 as they appear to be stepping away from the 8CR13MOV and are gonna be using D2 in most of their upcoming knives

Back