As per the ESEE website

I can search, but was bored of work work and felt I'd start something already discussed and be lazy about it. Apologies. .

Maybe I'll have to read the book to truly understand. Isn't Ragnar the only hero anyway?

I've got that question on a T-shirt. You wouldn't believe how many people comment that they "love that book".

I can't believe they're coming out with the movie. Kinda dumbs it down IMO.

They're coming out with a movie for Atlas Shrugged? Now everyone's gonna be like,"Who is John Galt?" and going to act cool, as though they knew about it before.

It'll be like what Guitar Hero and Rock Band did to classic rock. You had idiots listening to Led Zep, and Sabbath, but having no idea about them other than the fact that they were in a video game they played.

The movie may spur a few folks to read the book which might catalyze other events. You never know what can wake the right person up. The secondary effects of the movie might be to take a premise that has always been held an 'evil' in society like "I want to make money" or "I am not morally obilgated to help the underpriveledged because I have more" or "It is ok to be rich or selfish" or "I like who I am and see no reason to change", etc. and paint these as maybe that's ok and not necessarily evil. Think about things society has brain washed us to belive to be 'evil' and really ask what the root of these teachings are. Why is money "the root of all evil"? Who started that falicy? the movie might actually get one or two people to look at old conepts with a new or different perspective.

I have no illusions that the movie(s) will approach the book in scope or import but like I said, it might be a catalyst to get folks to read. Hell, J.K. Rowling spurred a ready revolution with Harry Potter and those movies. There is hope:)

Well put Mike.

If the movie gets people to read or listen to the book on audio and it makes them go "Well you know, that's happening right now. That pisses me off!" Then it will be worth the $8 admission. :D

All excellent points provided Hollywood is capable of doing justice to the true spirit of the book. I'm skeptical of that but hope my skepticism is unjustified. Hopefully they won't just focus on the romantic angles.

Paul Johansson will be directing Part 1 and playing the part of Galt. I have no idea what his political leanings are.

From what I understand the movie is going to be packaged as a trilogy. That sounds hopeful as far as it goes. There's no way they could pack the entire story into a 2 or 3 hour movie.

Part 1 is due out April 15th. IMDB has a page up on it for those who are interested. One thing is for certain, if Ayn Rand fans don't feel it does the book justice it will be interesting to watch the backlash.

I'm amused that each "generation" thinks they're the first to discover stuff like "dangerous" books.

Amusing as it may be it is also wonderful that some books are constantly 'rediscovered' rather than fade away into oblivion never to be thought of again as some powers would rather be the case:) I only rediscovered the dangerous book called "Wealth of Nations" by Adam Smith a couple of years ago and I didn't discover Aristotle until I was well into my 40's. I discovered Atlas Shrugged and Ayn Rand through a mentor of mine who met her and attended her lectures. By all means it is indeed a great thing to rediscover dangerous books:)

Back