ASH-1 Family Trio - and a "Healthy ASH" ?

Great looking Humpback, Mr. WC. Tough to beat the classic early models.

PS - The “Devil’s Ash” is one of my favorites. Came to me second hand from a Blade Show in 2008, (if memory serves). It is the only all red metaled ASH1 ever produced as a factory “standard.” Meaning non-Custom Shop. Which, of course, anyone could still commission.

Gents, SO happy to see all these fan-freakin'-tastic ASH's!

Tuica: "PS - The “Devil’s Ash” is one of my favorites. Came to me second hand from a Blade Show in 2008, (if memory serves). It is the only all red metaled ASH1 ever produced as a factory “standard.” Meaning non-Custom Shop. Which, of course, anyone could still commission"

Tuica, thanks for identifying your "Devil's ASH" for me! I have heard of them, but cannot recall seeing one before. Is that a "true red?"? So hard to tell from my monitor and lighting here at home. And the scales - are they maybe Sandstorm G10? Again, I cannot really tell on my monitor here. When was that edition offered? Just @ Blade '08? What more can you say about it? - thanks a priori

Niiice blades, Chris! :cool: Thanks for sharing. Love Bird's Beaks/Humpy's! :thumbsup: Killer cool Ol' School there :thumbsup:

Speaking of 'Bama Clay, supposing the Devil's ASH is not coated with that stuff, who has a good "Bama Clay ASH-1" pic for us? And by "us" I mean ME!

If memory serves re the appearance of the "BC," I would really like to have a 'Bama Clay ASH-1 with hand-shaped Burgundy canvas Micarta scales!

Gents, SO happy to see all these fan-freakin'-tastic ASH's!

Tuica: "PS - The “Devil’s Ash” is one of my favorites. Came to me second hand from a Blade Show in 2008, (if memory serves). It is the only all red metaled ASH1 ever produced as a factory “standard.” Meaning non-Custom Shop. Which, of course, anyone could still commission"

Tuica, thanks for identifying your "Devil's ASH" for me! I have heard of them, but cannot recall seeing one before. Is that a "true red?"? So hard to tell from my monitor and lighting here at home. And the scales - are they maybe Sandstorm G10? Again, I cannot really tell on my monitor here. When was that edition offered? Just @ Blade '08? What more can you say about it? - thanks a priori!

Speaking of 'Bama Clay, supposing the Devil's ASH is not coated with that stuff, who has a good "Bama Clay ASH-1" pic for us? And by "us" I mean ME!

If memory serves re the appearance of the "BC," I would really like to have a 'Bama Clay ASH-1 with hand-shaped Burgundy canvas Micarta scales! OR

Thank you for playing so generously, Andy! I truly wanted to hear your thoughts on this stuff.

Tuica had it right, of course - I, too, humbly supplicate myself before your throne and your superior knowledge, experience, and general wisdom on all things ASH!

Wow, I never would have guessed that you, too, have no LE specimen in the fold. Sounds like at least two are spoken for at this point! I will let you know if I locate an "extra" if you will do me the same :D

Sounds like you really dig the .21/.22 "middies" - me, too, now that I have one, myself! (thanks again RichardW - forever in your debt, man!)

And yet, you dream of a "perfect ASH" @.25/.26? That makes complete sense to me now! The middies offered to date have really been on the skinny side of the equation and not truly "middy." @ .25, THAT would be a middie mathematically speaking (half way between .17 and .32 if I am doing the math right at midnight!) That said, the .21/.22 thickness seems much thicker relative to the Skinny ASH than I thought it would. Big difference, which would only be accentuated dramatically at .25. Funny that you say you use that Skinny and Fatty the most; yet, dream of .25. I, too, love all three thicknesses now that I have a middie, and cannot wait to get that middie into the wild and beat on her as the occasions demand! Going canyoneering this Labor Day weekend so I have a perfect opportunity at hand! Will have to make a point of snapping a few pics and posting on Monday/Tuesday.

I find it so very interesting that you commissioned two saber ground ASH's o_O. I say interesting 'cuz I strongly prefer my full flats to saber, all things being equal. Love the CS convexed full flat grind of my CS Fatty. IMHO cannot be beaten! Coated, too, you say? AGAIN, how interesting. Heck, I even stripped down my 3B2!! Damm the heresy charges - she's mine with which to do as I please. But then I am pretty much a professional pariah, so there's that and all :p

I completely and enthusiastically agree with all of the "purpose not specified knife" comments. As stated in another active thread on the topic, if you could have only one it simply must be an ASH-1 (IMHO). No question. And this is the criteria for what makes a best knife, well, a best knife. Again, IMHO.)

I do so hope you get your hands on that sweet, hand-shaped G10 @ .25" saber ground, coated or DC'd ASH-1, Andy! I really do!!

As for me. I, too, want the CS to open back up to all us mere mortals given that I have my "ultimate ASH-1" commission in hand as well, Andy. I have in mind something a bit different, however, should that happy occasion ever come to pass whilst I live and breathe. There is one that has long been "offered for sale on red felt," which is pretty much the right stuff for me. With a couple tweaks.

Specifically, though:

*** My Ultimate ASH-1 ***

= "frosted"- DC with contrasting satin tiger stripes; "nuclear" - two-thirds length sharpened spine with "notch" serrations; full-flat grind; deep thumb rest with aggressive jimping; "melt down" - softened edges.; "hand-shaped" thin, green & black G10 scales (a la 3B2-style); "sterile"; .25" at the spine (yes indeed, Andy - you got me there! Thanks!); and with a "convexed" edge profile ***

A man can dream, Jerry ;). A man can dream. Lookin' at you, Garth ;)

This is my most unusual and unique ASH. I don't know how many there are, at least two I have seen on here, but this G10 was short lived and no longer available. This one also runs a bit thicker than the .22 middy.....

ASH1’s. Generating much interest and discussion. My Devil’s ASH is a true “medium” red with the somewhat standard black and tan G10’s. Purchased on BF Exchange in November of 2013. Informed by seller and another BF member of its heritage and uniqueness. Most Bussekin “old timers” would recognize their names.

Was told that it was the only red ASH1 at that Blade Show, and that it was the only factory produced all red ASH1 to that time. Like I previously stated, anyone could contact the CS and have nearly any color of any Bussekin made that has existing templates. Since purchasing mine, I have never seen any evidence that another one exists. But there could be one, or more, in private collections. Would welcome any information to the contrary.

And frankly surprised there are not a greater number of CS ASH1’s in varying blade colors such as blue, purple, and orange. Perhaps if I ever become monetarily wealthy, I’ll order some in a palette of colors. But most likely not. Anyone with money can obtain a custom anything in this world. The thrill of the hunt is discovering what’s already out there.

This is my most unusual and unique ASH. I don't know how many there are, at least two I have seen on here, but this G10 was short lived and no longer available. This one also runs a bit thicker than the .22 middy.....

Andy, that is just beautiful. Whew. (and looks really nice as my new wallpaper :), thank you kindly. Did you take that pic yourself?)

Is that satin? I presume so, but it almost looks white right now to my eyes. Re the pretty, pretty G10 she wears: what the heck is it?? Is that actually black and white? I have often wondered why Busse does not offer "Zebra."

Tuica, thanks for the additional story, info, and thoughts. Enjoy her, as I am sure you have been and will continue to so do. And if you should ever tire of staring at it, I know a guy who might be interested!

'Bama Clay anyone???? I know I have seen at least one pic of a 'Bama Clay ASH-1. Cannot recall when and cannot right now recall the handle treatment with certainty, but I believe it was brown canvas. Anyone?

Andy, that is just beautiful. Whew. (and looks really nice as my new wallpaper :), thank you kindly. Did you take that pic yourself?)

Is that satin? I presume so, but it almost looks white right now to my eyes. Re the pretty, pretty G10 she wears: what the heck is it?? Is that actually black and white? I have often wondered why Busse does not offer "Zebra."
...... Thanks mate and yes that is one of my pics (besides guns, knives and ridiculing Jeep owners ;) :D , photography is a pastime of mine).....it is actually Jerry's "double cut" finish, one of my favourites. As for that G10, it is "black and tan" but a quite unique (and apparently short lived) iteration of it. I have seen two ASH1s with it but no others (that is the segway in for someone to post up another knife wearing it ;) :D ), in the case the black is greater than the tan where as more recent (the past decade or so I think) they have been more equal or the tan greater than the black. I did exchange emails with Garth about this some years ago and it was looooong gone (as I was hoping for one of my CS ASH1s to wear it). A pic of this knife or one of the very few ASH1s (as I said, at least two but there are lots of Busse blades out there that NEVER see the light of day) just like it were what both attracted me to the ASH1 and Busse !!!! When this one came up for sale a couple of years ago I nearly harmed myself getting after it and am eternally grateful for the seller ( @ctrsurf ) for working with me to get it to it's forever HOME !!!!

IMG_1107.jpg

(A bit better pic, IMHO.)

My Slender ASH on left (stripped 3B2) alongside my stripped Skinny ASH on right for purposes of comparison.
VERY similar knives!

Methinks a Fat, Sabre ASH is a rare sighting indeed - I did not know they were a thing. But then, I freely acknowledge that I am but a mere ASHlet! How many one-offs do ya' have? That is, if I may be so bold as to inquire!

(Sorry for the error posts above. I keep falling asleep on the keyboard. Strange things can happen at that pointpppps

I consider the 3B2 to be an "ASH Variant" the linage is unmistakable.

Fat and Sabre Ground....have not seen many of these either ....

Wow !! Just Wow !!!!! Ok one more WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back