Ask, and Ye Shall Receive

This is a thread where you can ask Ban about knife and knife-related stuff.

So here we go:

I'm wondering about liners and their purpose. :)

Last edited:
As far as I know they are only there for looks. but if they serve another purpose please correct me.

Gomle,

I think you should add something in your title that tells people this is the thread to ask Ban questions. And maybe clarify it in your OP? That way people other than those who follow the deathchat know what's going on :thumbup:

My OP? :eek: ? thats why I changed the topic from Master Ban answers questions to ask and ye shall receive, because all other than Ban had an opinion. :D

As others have mentioned, liners are typically used to add to the look of the knife. Other times they are used to add to the thickness of the handles.

I do use rubber toughened CA (superglue) to glue the handles. But I rely on the stainless rivets with lots of pressure to hold everything securely in place.

Any further rust protection with liners?
Not that I am aware of... As a matter of fact the vulcanized paper liners tend to seal the tang less that a perfectly flat smooth micarta or G10 surface. Vulcanized paper are typically not very flat and also have a very rough and uneven surface.

Last edited:
My OP? :eek: ? thats why I changed the topic from Master Ban answers questions to ask and ye shall receive, because all other than Ban had an opinion. :D

There ya go, the extra note was all that was needed :):thumbup:

Since this is somewhat of a Q&A thread I am sure the sharpening question is going to come up.

My sharpening process is documented here in this thread for those interested.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=802304

I will do a little writeup on edge maintenance soon.

I'm going to start the FAQ thread, I'll talk with you about it via PM :thumbup: Ban, you should sticky this one (and the FAQ).

I would like a video of Ban doing the different stages of stropping. :thumbup:

When is the " ultimate sharpening guide" out? Different grinds and how to sharpen them.... I will pay top dollar for that dvd. Hopefully in colaboration with a company that can deliver all sorts of sharpening systems that you use during the making. :)

When is the " ultimate sharpening guide" out? Different grinds and how to sharpen them.... I will pay top dollar for that dvd. Hopefully in colaboration with a company that can deliver all sorts of sharpening systems that you use during the making. :)

I am planning on doing a sharpening video when I have the time one of these days. I sharpen free hand with a belt grinder and various belts. There are no special sharpening contraptions to speak of. The basic instructions are on the sharpening thread. That info will be incorporated into the FAQ.

Ban,
Great job you doing!
Are you interested in a regrind work? I am looking for some help here.
Thanks

Hi Gress,

Thanks for stopping by. I am no longer doing any sort of regrinds and mod work because I am trying to focus my limited time on making knives.

I'm curious about that 3v Shiv in your pics thread. What are the dimensions (length, width, thickness, etc.) and costs of a knife like that?

That 3V Shiv is 3/32 thick and roughly 6 1/2" OAL with a 2 1/2-2 3/4" Blade.

Back