Ask Toooj

Chiller,

It's not on our New Prod list. But We can discuss.
Typically, the modified versions come from a large Customer or Big Box request.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Thanks for the answer, we have a separate thread here that was all about this question, people seem to want it bad, as I do...

So one of the big retailers should order a batch, that's how the things work...I always thought it's the other way around, company makes it first and offers it to the market...but what do I know.

I guess we won't see it any time soon then :(

Hey Chiller,

Never say "never". We get all sorts of requests and we have several outlets that like small "sprint runs". So don't give up hope.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

I'll spill the beans a little bit here. Big box stores aren't the only ones, distributors can do it too. A distributor has ordered the RAT II in D2 steel, but we don't have the full details on their plan to take it to market. When I know more, I'll share. They'll also be pretty happy about that since, you know, they want to sell them.

Chiller, on your comment about how the market works - both happen. We'll design something and bring it to market, but when we want to do a modification or want to make something that fits a particular channel best, we'll talk to them first. Other times, they basically come in and tell us what they want, and we make it for them.

Thanks guys, you are great both of you, it seems like much of a talk about 40$-ish knife, but we love that RAT1 and RAT2 very much...and the sprints and exclusives are very exciting.

I'd like if D2 models would become standard, and sprints be even more premium both steel and scales wise, but I'm sounding like a broken record :)

This not a complaint, but rather a query about a rather "late lockup"

I have a Rat 2 that I bought from an online retailer (biggest in the world?) back in March of this year. The knife is just fine and easily meets my expectations as to fit and finish. The blade deployment is very quick and easy, certainly a nice job OKC.

Now, after “playing” with it for a few weeks I see that the liner lock-bar has migrated over quite close to the other liner when the blade is opened, probably a half a millimeter or so from the right hand liner, 80-90% lock-up maybe? The blade does lock up securely and there is absolutely no side to side or up and down movement and is easy for me to release the lock, as in no lock stick, so it is working fine. However, I am new to this “newfangled” tech of liner locks and frame locks and after reading/watching reviews and what not online essentially telling me that anything over 50% lock up means that the lock life expectancy is greatly reduced.

So I would like to be “assured” somewhat that the liner lock will last for a long time as it is (truthfully I really don’t use a knife all that much and I have several anyways) and tell me to stop reading/watching people telling me about the pitfalls of late lock up or is this something that would need to be addressed before the year warranty runs out?

Thanks
Colin

edit March 17 2018:
After close to 11 months the lock bar has stayed at the same state, around 80-90% and hasn't moved. I don't use the knife that much, but do flick it fairly often so I just think that is where it will stay.

Last edited:
I have a request. I would like to see a thread here showing photos with specs of all the knives Ontario has made in their long history. I know thats asking alot.
Please.

This not a complaint, but rather a query about a rather "late lockup"

I have a Rat 2 that I bought from an online retailer (biggest in the world?) back in March of this year. The knife is just fine and easily meets my expectations as to fit and finish. The blade deployment is very quick and easy, certainly a nice job OKC.

Now, after “playing” with it for a few weeks I see that the liner lock-bar has migrated over quite close to the other liner when the blade is opened, probably a half a millimeter or so from the right hand liner, 80-90% lock-up maybe? The blade does lock up securely and there is absolutely no side to side or up and down movement and is easy for me to release the lock, as in no lock stick, so it is working fine. However, I am new to this “newfangled” tech of liner locks and frame locks and after reading/watching reviews and what not online essentially telling me that anything over 50% lock up means that the lock life expectancy is greatly reduced.

So I would like to be “assured” somewhat that the liner lock will last for a long time as it is (truthfully I really don’t use a knife all that much and I have several anyways) and tell me to stop reading/watching people telling me about the pitfalls of late lock up or is this something that would need to be addressed before the year warranty runs out?

Thanks
Colin

Well I did my own research and found that the general consensus is "don't worry about it". I noticed that during the first week or so (lots of "flicking"), the liner lock did migrate over, but then stayed where it was. I tried the "Chris Reeves" technique to adjust it and was somewhat successful and now am at around 65%. The knife still works flawlessly so that would be all.

LG & M,

Wow. That is asking a lot. I will ask Marketing/Sales if this is possible.

Colin.p,

Glad you fixed the problem. Knew you could; if not we can always fix or exchange.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

I know it's a tall order, got any interns ?
They could just scan old catalogs.
I thought it would be a good way to see the history.
Thanks for the response.

I know it's a tall order, got any interns ?
They could just scan old catalogs.
I thought it would be a good way to see the history.
Thanks for the response.

I love the idea, but at this point that would be more of a long term goal than a project. There's a couple of catches that probably make getting everything impossible. But it would be cool to start getting a lot of it.

Thank you for considering my idea.

Thank you for offering it. I'd love to say we'll start on it, but from the marketing side, we'll start getting some of the old items scanned where we can. We do have catalogs going back for nearly a century in our vault.

Wow a century!
I am about 1000 miles away or I would be glad to help.
Maybe a local boy scout troop could help?

Rat 2 Aus-8 question.

I’ve been thinking about the Rat 2 but I’m not sure what the heat treat is on their AUS-8.
Ontario’s web site states it is 55-56 HRC but I’ve seen a couple reviews saying Ontario raised it to
58-60 HRC a few years back.

At 55-56 HRC it would be to soft but at 58-60 HRC it would be perfect for what I want it for.
I know it’s not unusual for companies to not update their web site. It’s also not unusual for reviews to be wrong.
Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hello, First of all, I'm not totally "up" on the switch from RAT to ESEE. I see that Ontario (still?) produces the RAT-5 & RAT-7, but why not a RAT-6, to equal the old RC-6? Did Rowan get the design patent, with the result being the ESEE6? Thanks :)

It would be nice to see more non SP type saber grinds. A RAT 7 type would be great I think. Only the RAK and RD Tanto seem to have a saber type grinds. My RD TANTO see's a lot of use I never thought it would be so useful and good at doing storm clearing and batoning with its saberish grind it has.

Last edited:
Toooj! I've often wondered why the stacked leather handles on
Ontario's marine combat ground thin up at the pommel
1.jpg

When compared with ka-bar's USMC model.
1.jpg

So the question is are either handle dimensions in accordance to the mil.spec?
And if there are advantages or perhaps production methods which
Determined the look of such handles?
Thank's in advance.

Last edited:
Girlymann,

Ontario's F/U knife is closest to the Mil-Spec. KA-BAR hasn't had the F/U Government Contract since WWII, while Ontario has had the Contract since the 1980's and we currently build to the Spec.
That being said, the KA-BAR is a better finished knife because it doesn't have to meet the Mil-Spec. ie; Powder coated blade, guard and pommel, unpainted and unprotected leather washers, handle shape, etc.
There are also feature differences due to different manufacturing processes. This has always been the case with US Military Contract knives. If you study the Navy Mk I/II, USMC F/U, MkIII Trench, Bayonets, et al; all of the manufacturers had small (sometimes large) variations which differentiated their knives from the others. Personally, from a design standpoint, I think the variations are intriguing and the collector/historian in me does also.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Back