Ask Toooj

Thank you, Sir :)
The high carbon steel is a plus in my book, since it will take a patina.
I think I'll have to get one next month ... and maybe the Buffalo Skinner, too. :)

Any chance of a regular (not the hunting model) Rat-3 being rereleased in a D2 format? Would also love to see the cattlemans Stockman and railsplitters redone in another scale material, buffalo horn or...anything at all honestly. Thanks ahead of time for looking at this.
Thanks, Neal

Neal70,

Rat-3s in D2 are not out of the realm of possibility. Of course we will have to cost, look at the manufacturing and marketing issues....blah, blah, blah. But I'm on the Prod Dev team and I can bring it up.
As far as cattlemen, railsplitters, etc...you are probably talking about Queen product. They are no longer part of the Ontario knife Family. They are there own entity now so you will have to talk to them directly.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Hi Toooj,

I read that the only way to bring about the toughness qualities of 5160 is to forge it, and that if blades are made from stock removal, it’s much softer. Sorry that I can’t reference the source but can you please shed some light on any differences and how Ontario maxes out the performance of its 5160?

Thanks!!

bush-haus,

Sorry for not answering sooner but I wanted some time to properly formulate a serious answer to you.
I don't know where you got that information but I do not believe that to be true. That is also the opinion of our resident consultant, Dan Maragni. FWIW, Dan was one of the first ABS Master Smiths way back in the 1980s. He knows both hand forging and factory processes. He is also a very serious student of edged tools/weapons, metallurgy and blade testing. We both happen to think that the steel mills do a pretty good job of rolling (a type of forging) the steel to thickness, grain direction and size. While forging offers some interesting blade making techniques, it does little to determine the final blade hardness.
Steel hardness, whether it is 5160, or any of the current existing knife steels, has more to do with the inherent steel properties and the heat treatment designed for each steel than the type of forming processes that go into the blade. Each steel has alloys which add or subtract properties to the particular steel. These alloys determine the heat treating protocol for each steel. The protocol is also tweaked to get the particular properties we require from the blade; ie; lateral toughness, edge holding, rust resistance, etc.
As a factory, we do a lot of internal and outside metallurgical testing to optimize our processes and knife properties. Data, numbers, facts are our friends and we spend a lot of time and dollars to get it right.
We try to get the end user a blade that meets what we are trying to accomplish with the knife whether it is optimal edge holding, impact toughness, ease of sharpening. Each series of knives are different for different tasks.
Your question is a good one to spark some discussion.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company.

Well Tooj answered a few questions I had in the back of my head of...

1. Forging Vs. manufacturing blades for hardness.
2. View on precision of current steel qualities from current steel makers.
3. An over all subtle difference of steels and qualities.
4. And that OKC does intentionally makes knives to do specific tasks as important as what sells commercially. (I bet they also make the good commercial sellers and put good intended work capabilities in them. SP-10 is a great example! It looks great, hefts great, and well it does a lot of great big blade tasks. And another is the RD TANTO! Its pure great lookti-cool tacti-cool but can it hack and whack and baton great with its SABERish type grind! I haven't used it for Tantoy things I find its a great HEAVY use mid sized knife)
5. And a great over view of the whole subject and I sense I got a few more things out of it than I can think of right now.

*leaves box of cyber donuts for Tooj and Dan the Man Maragni*

Last edited:
Hi Toooj do you OKC really wanna produce 5160 version sp5 、6、10 & 18 ? that are what i really want to buy.;)
thanks.

Last edited:
Hi Dingy,

It is not always easy to swap blade material....sometimes it is. Part of the issue is the procurement of 5160 or any steel to the proper sizes and quantities....at the best prices; all while keeping our manufacturing costs the same. Different steels means different processes, availability, costs. From a sale/marketing side; does it make sense, do we have a market, can we sell sufficient volume...
All of these questions have to be answered before we take a step to alter an existing product. If we get affirmatives on the questions, we can move forward.
So the seemingly simple tasks are always move involved than what meets the eye.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Hi Dingy,

It is not always easy to swap blade material....sometimes it is. Part of the issue is the procurement of 5160 or any steel to the proper sizes and quantities....at the best prices; all while keeping our manufacturing costs the same. Different steels means different processes, availability, costs. From a sale/marketing side; does it make sense, do we have a market, can we sell sufficient volume...
All of these questions have to be answered before we take a step to alter an existing product. If we get affirmatives on the questions, we can move forward.
So the seemingly simple tasks are always move involved than what meets the eye.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

thanks , man.
i have time to wait.

Dear Mister Toooj,
Ontario made two M9 BAYONETS with the marking COMBAT.
One had the OLD TYPE GRIP and one the ERGO GRIP.
Do you know how many were made with the OLD TYPE GRIP ?

Thanks for an eventual reply.

Mister Moon for WWW.M9M4.COM

Toooj or OKC Moderator,

I find two model numbers for the Bushcraft Woodsman, 6526 & 8697. What is the difference? Thank you.

Toooj or OKC Moderator,

I find two model numbers for the Bushcraft Woodsman, 6526 & 8697. What is the difference? Thank you.

Wherever you're looking, 8697 should hopefully be lower in price. We stripped away some of the extras that were driving up cost (no firestarter, no lanyard) and went with a basic but good quality sheath to bring the price down. If you were really into the full package, I'd go with 6526. If you were just interested in the knife itself and don't need the firestarter and lanyard or you want to make your own sheath, 8697 is probably your best bet.

Dear Mister Toooj,
Ontario made two M9 BAYONETS with the marking COMBAT.
One had the OLD TYPE GRIP and one the ERGO GRIP.
Do you know how many were made with the OLD TYPE GRIP ?

Thanks for an eventual reply.

Mister Moon for WWW.M9M4.COM

Toooj is travelling at the moment, and I'm not sure about the answer to this question. Honestly, there's no guarantee we can get an answer to this question for you, but I'll see if I can learn a bit more.

Wherever you're looking, 8697 should hopefully be lower in price. We stripped away some of the extras that were driving up cost (no firestarter, no lanyard) and went with a basic but good quality sheath to bring the price down. If you were really into the full package, I'd go with 6526. If you were just interested in the knife itself and don't need the firestarter and lanyard or you want to make your own sheath, 8697 is probably your best bet.

Yep I asked this question in a thread and posted the answer! Me I just wanted the knife! :D

Tooj;

I’ve meant to ask this question for a long time, and as it’s almost sold out I wanted to ask now:
What are the differences, if any, between the 125th anniversary rtak2 and the regular model?
Apart from the obvious color change and sheath upgrade, of course. I have looked everywhere for answers, can you comment on this at all? I’d like to get one soon, especially if the sheathe is a heavy cordura style, and there are significant differences in the blade itself.

Thanks and Regards,
Dave

Yonose,

The 125th Ann knives had sheath, powder coat and some handle upgrades. They also had a 125th Anniversary logo laser engraved on the blade.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Yonose,

The 125th Ann knives had sheath, powder coat and some handle upgrades. They also had a 125th Anniversary logo laser engraved on the blade.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Can I infer that the steel on both models is the same, maybe even identical? As in 125th models aren’t heat treated separately?

Can I infer that the steel on both models is the same, maybe even identical? As in 125th models aren’t heat treated separately?
Yonose,

Steel is the same as stock items.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Hey Toooj, I recently bought a Rat II in D2. My first OKC knife. Very pleased with it so far. There has been some talk on the main forum about the quality of D2 coming out of China. How would you rate the quality of your D2? Thanks

Back