Ask Toooj

Toooj,

I may be asking way too many questions, and I hope that I'm not becoming a total pest for you. With that said, here I go with a few more :)
OKC designed a modified version of the Spax SP16 called the Sniper Spax model SP36. Was this something that OKC decided to do on it's own, or was it something that the military was requesting you guys design for them? Was the Sniper Spax SP36 ever officially adopted by any branch of the US military? Is this model still being manufactured, or is it now discontinued? And, finally, one last question concerning the SP36... They seem to be offered with a military type camo sheath, and I was wondering if the sheaths are US manufactured?
Any insight you could share about this model would be very much appreciated. It just seems like such a rare version of the Spax, and I'm simply intrigued to know some of it's history/specifics. Thank you in advance, Sir :)

Update: Looking at some venders online, it seems that Ontario may have possibly sold off their remaining Sniper Spax SP36 inventories at closeout prices, (maybe surplus supplies that were originally slated for possible military contracts?). Why am I guessing such a thing? Well, the prices that they can currently be had for, even with them including their better sheaths and the all steel digging attachment, is less than what the standard Spax sells for. The SP36 was retailing quite high a few years ago, but rock bottom deals can be had today. Well, I thought it was way too cool and unique of an item to pass up on the chance to own one, so I decided to order it. One is now coming my way via Priority Mail :)
The online vendor I ordered it from, offers both the Spax SP16 & the Spax SP36, and they sell the SP36 for $20 LESS than what they are offering the standard SP16. If one is considering the Spax, this may be the one to buy, and the time to buy it. The all steel digging attachment does not have to be installed, and it's pouch on the sheath is also removable. There is only one screw that either removes or installs the "spade" accessory to the Spax. So, just consider the Ontario SP36 to be an Ontario Spec Plus "PLUS" SP16 :)

Two photos of the Sniper Spax, (found online)...
2z6a0pd.jpg

2qu3eqo.jpg

In the following photo, (which I also found online), it shows the all steel digging attachment not having the window cutouts that shows the tip of the spike when mounted to the Spax (compared to the two pics above showing it WITH the window cutouts). The attachment screw itself also looks different. Maybe it's an earlier version?... I don't know. But, it does lead one to believe that even the uncommon Sniper Spax SP36 may have some variations/design improvements amongst it's model history.
I could see why the window cutouts may have been added. They likely help in keeping the mounting channel free from debris. Without those window cutouts on both sides, dirt could jam in there real good, and then be hard to clean it out, possibly making installation and removal of the accessory more difficult.
34rin4p.jpg

Well, it arrived today, (April 14, 2018). It sure is a lot of quality, uniqueness, and coolness, for the total price of only $54, (shipping included). That means I got it for over $200 off the original MSRP. The only other completely outrageously great price I got on Ontario products, (which are already a great value), was a couple/few years ago on three Ontario stainless steel Marine Corps knives (P4 model?). I purchased those from the 'Task Force Dagger' Foundation. The price was only $25 + shipping each! 100% of the proceeds went to help vets and their families, so it was a win win situation! Kudos to Ontario Knife Company for having donated those knives to the TFD Foundation! Of the three knives I purchased from them, I gave one away to a friend, and have the other two in my collection.
With this new SP36, my eclectic "Man Gadget Collection" has now grown a wee bit more :)
Yup, it's just another cool collectible for me, (which will in some-way be incorporated into my decor). I don't need it for any other reason, but that's reason enough for me. And, as far as the coolness factor goes, what rating do I give this Swiss Army Knife of the axe world?... I give it a perfect ten :)

Why do I call it the Swiss Army Knife of the Axe world?...
*It can do some axe specific duties... chop (and some cutting ability from it's lower sharpened edge), breach, self defense (with either end).
*Can be used for some prying.
*Can open/close fire hydrants.
*Can open/close gas valves.
*Can be used for light digging with it's spade attachment.
Probably some things I've missed, but one gets the idea.

The following is Ontario's link to their Sniper Spax SP36. They simply state "out of stock", but it does still show the full MSRP ($275). We knife folks tend to be very happy when we are able to find prices in the "half off" price range of MSRP, but paying 1/5 the price of MSRP.... Well, that's downright FABULOUS! :)
http://ontarioknife.com/tools/axes/sniper-spax.html

And here is a link to a post by the OKC Bladeforums Moderator a few years ago that pertained to this model, which at the time, was the first time it was offered to the civilian market...
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/new-product-sniper-spax.1220479/

The following picture is of the specimen I received after I wiped it down with a little preservative oil. I know some may see this tool as a weird and downright ugly contraption... Well, maybe so, but in a Glock sort'a way... Just like a Glock pistol, the Spax tool is serious business. I guess beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder ;)
2du9x7c.jpg

In this next picture, taken right after opening the package, it shows the handle with a white powdery substance that was on it's kraton/rubber like handle. This white powder wiped off easily enough with the same lightly oiled cloth that I used for the steel portion of the Spax. The picture shows all that came in the plastic bag that it was sealed in... Well, everything, except the shoelace lanyard, which I forgot to throw into the photo shot.

It included the following items:
*Spax SP36
*Steel "spade" digging attachment
*Quality nylon Sheath (which has a integral/sewn in plastic liner to prevent the Spax from tearing up the nylon).
*Adjustable nylon leg strap with a plastic buckle.

*Removable nylon pouch for the "spade" accessory
*Shoelace lanyard

Like I said, this is a lot of product for the money.
Heck, the sheath alone, (MINUS the spade accessory pouch), sells for $66.95 from the same vendor. So $54 for a rare version of the Spax that includes the quality sheath... Um, yeah, a crazy bargain!

I can hardly wait for Toooj to pop in and possibly share more tidbits about this Ontario item with us. With his insight added, this post may become THE only real Sniper Spax SP36 online information resource :)

1zbsymd.jpg

Last edited:
Toooj,

While looking online for information on Ontario's Spec Plus Gen2 line, (because I'm considering one as my next "gadget" purchase), I noticed that the line may have shrunk a little over the years? There are models still being offered, but some seem to have gone the way of the DoDo. That being said, are there any plans to grow the line by replacing the discontinued models with possible new designs, ones that may sell better for Ontario? They were obviously all good knives, but one knows that sometimes things take off, while other times... well, not so much. The Gen2 5160 steel, and your company's heat treating/hardness range, seems to have gained a good reputation. So, I'm wondering if the line will continue to possibly grow with new designs, or if the models left are what will be left of the Gen2 line?
Thank you in advance :)

Update: My mulling over some of the Gen2 models, and wanting to add one of them to my "Man Gadget Collection", this morning I took the plunge by ordering an SP43. It's the one that I kept looking at the most, and it just kept calling out my name (figuratively speaking, of course). Yup, a Gen2 SP43 is now heading my way :)

And today (4/20/18) I received it... Factory date on the box is August 2016, so although it's new, it's been almost 2 years since it was manufactured. It's a nice addition to my "Man Gadget Collection", very nicely executed... Kudos to Ontario & it's staff.
I did not know if the model name designation (Rifleman) would be on the blade (pics online seem to show some with, and others without it). Obviously not a big deal either way, but I was hoping it would have it :)
This purchase was only made to add it to my collection, and it's life with me is to be pampered with care. That said, my handling this knife gives me the impression that it's more in line with a military combat/utility knife than anything else. The Ontario Moderator here on Bladeforums recently shared that the SP43 got labled as the "Rifleman" because the designer took some of it's cues from an antique long knife issued to US troops during the mid 1800's that was called the "Rifleman's Knife". In any case, as I mentioned before, it's nicely executed :)

2r55e2g.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Tooj;

Do you think you and Dan Maragni would ever plan and execute a larger—let’s say 11” blade— chopper in 5160 for the sp or woodsmans lines, in 5160 of course? Or how about a us military sword reproduction? A lot of us cant afford those substandard versions sold by other companies and made overseas, and if Ontario ever made one I’d be proud to hang one on my wall!

Thanks, Dave

Hey Tooj;

Do you think you and Dan Maragni would ever plan and execute a larger—let’s say 11” blade— chopper in 5160 for the sp or woodsmans lines, in 5160 of course? Or how about a us military sword reproduction? A lot of us cant afford those substandard versions sold by other companies and made overseas, and if Ontario ever made one I’d be proud to hang one on my wall!

Thanks, Dave
Also, will the “Blackwind” line ever make a comeback?! I think they would do will these days! ETA: i really want one (or all)

Also, will the “Blackwind” line ever make a comeback?! I think they would do will these days! ETA: i really want one (or all)

I’ve never heard of it. I will look these up, there’s so much from Ontario that is blink and you miss it. Overall, quality is spectacular!

Yonose/Meshach,

We are always coming out with products. Sorry, but right now our efforts are geared toward kitchen knives and some new smaller hunting and field knives. (all for big box sales)
Who knows, maybe big knives (and swords) will float back to the surface in the future.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Yonose/Meshach,

We are always coming out with products. Sorry, but right now our efforts are geared toward kitchen knives and some new smaller hunting and field knives. (all for big box sales)
Who knows, maybe big knives (and swords) will float back to the surface in the future.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

I know this wasn’t the intent of Tooj’s message, but I suddenly feel empty inside. I wish you guys the best of luck! There is so much you guys have given me, and I almost feel like crying. No more new bushwhackers with Mr. Maragni’s 5160 heat treat? Life will go on, but it won’t be half as fun. Best!

Toooj,

Does anyone at Ontario have the scoop on why this logo was/is used on Old Hickory knives. And, although it's a long shot, did the logo ever influence you on any of your knife designs, with Ontario, or any other former company that you've worked for?

2uo2e5g.jpg

PKJ,

Let me think:...hmmm....maybe...could be...probably....Oh }{3[[; Yeah it did.:D. The other influence was our love of Pirates at that other company.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

T Toooj

I was browsing one of OKC's retailers and noticed on the SP line that they have for sale, they state that the blade steel is 1074/1075 and that the handle material is VersaFlex plastic and not Kraton.

I was aware of the steel change from previous posts but not the switch in handle material. I was hoping you could share some info on what VersaFlex is and why the switch from Kraton and if the VersaFlex is also being utilized in the SP GEN ll series as well.

fwiw, the VersaFlex website says it is: Polyurea https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyurea

Polyurea is interesting stuff, esp. the part where it can 'self heal' - I've not had any direct experience with it, but from a chemical standpoint, it looks like really interesting stuff.
Toooj, let us know if your versaflex handles will self-heal from cuts/scratches etc?

Wow, I did not know such a material existed (self healing polymers). I am looking forward to reading Toooj' response on the possible switch OKC has made in handle material, and if there are any advantages for the end user. I kind'a doubt that one of the advantages would be self healing, but only because it would seem that the newer technology would likely add to the cost, not help in maintaining or lowering it. But, hey, you never know! ;)

I have a question that I hope Toooj, or anyone else that may know the answer to, can give me the scoop on. On some Ontario knives, one sees the markings that includes a -95 (after the model number). I have knives that have this that were obviously made way after 1995, so it's not year of manufacture. The only thing I was thinking as a possibility, was maybe the 95 being code for the knife's steel being 1095... But I doubt that being the reason too. So, what gives with the 95 on the blade? Thanks in advance :)

Boru/PKJ

Okay:
1) The SP handles were originally Kraton but are now Dyna Flex...not Versa Flex. Dyna Flex is a synthetic rubber (same as Kraton) from another mother. As I have mentioned before; we are always looking at ways to improve performance and quality while keeping costs down...hard to do sometimes but that is why it is called sweating the details.
2) the "95" designation was the year it was first produced. I believe we keep that on the stamp until it wore out and was replaced.
Hope this helps.
Off to Blade Show tomorrow. If you are going, stop by our booth and say "Hi".

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Comapny

There is an Ontario card that I have seen shown here and there online that reads... "The knife you need when you need a knife".
I would love to add a few to my Ontario Knife Company collection, and already have an idea for one of my displays that would greatly benefit by having one of these placed in it :)
I have not seen the card offered on the OKC website... Is it offered to the general public?
Thanks in advance :)
Here is a picture of the card I speak of...
n4v3vc.jpg

n4v3vc.jpg

Last edited:
hi toooj , how long OKC switch to new sheath for sp10 ?
is it a 1075 one , if i buy a new sp10 with new style sheath ?
i mean , there are dealers sell sp10 with new nylon stheath , is it indicate that the sp10 with new nylon stheath is made of 1075 steel ?

thanks.

Last edited:
PKJ,

Please call me:716-676-5527 ext123
I will send some to the address you give me.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

dingy,

We switched over the sheaths on the SP line about a year ago. We switched over to 1075 about 2-3 years ago.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

PKJ,

Please call me:716-676-5527 ext123
I will send some to the address you give me.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Thank you, Sir, I appreciate that.
I just attempted to call, but for some strange reason, it keeps saying that "it's not a working number" ,(probably because of my cell phone carrier). It's obviously a working number (OKC's). I have been a text msg guy for years, not using the phone for it's main reason in years... And the one time I make a call, it fails me... Sheesh! lol!

Just wanted to thank you again, Toooj :)
I'm glad to have gotten through on the call earlier today. Sorry if I sounded off... I was outdoors in front of my job's building, and the background sounds from the nearby highway were very distracting. Thanks for all you do :)

Last edited:
Back