Ask Toooj

antttt,

Sorry for not answering your other post. It got away from me.
I don't know the exact reasoning for the shape and features on the Cerberus but I do know from the many Spec Ops people that I know, is that they have different skill sets for knives that aren't what the a regular infantry or combat soldier needs.
Maybe some former spec ops people will hop in and elaborate in more detail. I have my opinions but I'm sure it is not complete.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

The Cerberus was going to go in to military production but the financing got pulled for it. But as we were told OKC has put a lot of sweat and equity in to it, they are selling it to the public so any one can get it who might need it. I got two myself, its a nice light weight general carry that can cut and slice and dice. Its a great fix blade carry for when having my other bigger blades also, its so slim and light. One can never have to many knives in the wild wilderness wilderhood, aka camp site when herding kids for an outing. All them pokie sticks needed for cooking things need to be cut!

Mick P,

The entire blade portion of the knife is hardened.
So you should okay with your reshaping of the blade.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company
Hi Tooj,
Thanks. Appreciate ur time
Mick P

Yonose,

The Stainless in the Bushcraft machete is 420HC which has 0.31% carbon. That % can give is hardnesses up to HRc 55-57. The machete hardness, of course, is lower at 48-52HRc.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

FWIW, I find this a bit confusing...
this steel should have almost 0.5% carbon (or 0.46% at least)
http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=420hc

at 0.3% you're likely using the 420j2 standard http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=420j2

the other interesting difference between the steels, besides the carbon amount, is the fact that 420hc has vanadium, while j2 does not... that should make it easier to confirm which one it is?

Meshach,

It is now being made in 420 HC.
We are trying to jump start that line and seeing if a lower price point will help.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Toooj,

I was in the"World's Foremost Outfitter" the other day & spied 2 OKC knives i really liked. Can't find them on any website anywhere, even theirs, or OKC. Are they an exclusive for that store ??? Can't wait for payday. It's been a while since i bought some sharp steel.

Thanks
TwinStick

Twinstick....

Yes , Cabellas does receive exclusives from Ontario...I know recently it’s been the Rat 3 and 7

Hi Twinstick,

Hope all is well. How is your family?
As Boggs says; we do offer exclusives to various distributors and Big Box stores. If what you see isn't exactly on our website, it typically must be bought at that particular store.
Get it there and it will probably be cheaper than getting an equivalent knife from our website.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Tooj,
I think I saw a few rat3 in d2 on their website—what attention to detail on every aspect, from the thick leather sheath to the walnut handles!! Not the same I realize as you are talking about but I’d like to know who’s idea this masterpiece was!!!

Yonose

Tooj! Long time listener, first time caller.

I just purchased a kukri via Amazon, and the tang stamps are different from OKC's website, and pretty much anything I'm seeing online, anywhere. Any chance the stamp has been switched up?

I've seen a few broken ones online, but I'm not convinced they were legit.

Thanks for all you do!

EDIT: Pics to follow, had to run back to work

Last edited:
Yonose,

If you are talking about the Limited Ed Rat 3 hunter; D2 exhibition grade walnut handles and leather sheath...that was my idea to use up some inventory.
Most new products come from my team. Some of the Big box modifications of regular products (like handle color changes) are committee driven.

Knomad,

Thanks for your kind words. Don't be afraid to ask questions or engage in discussion. That's what the forum is for.
We did a few stamp/logo changes to our product line over the last several years...going from stamping to laser etching, and then changing the logos/ blade info.
Some of the broken Khuks were legit, some not. Of course, the broken ones are immediately retrieved and exchanged. We always ask for the product to be returned; first to analyze the malfunction, secondly it helps to minimize the scammers. If they can't send the product back us...at our expense, or they don't have a good paper trail they are politely deep 6ed. Of course the outrage on the other end is immediate but it doesn't last too long.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Tooj:

Is the metal all the same on the SS Bushcraft? There seems to be some confuzeration of the 420 SS of the Woodsman knife.

Yonose,

If you are talking about the Limited Ed Rat 3 hunter; D2 exhibition grade walnut handles and leather sheath...that was my idea to use up some inventory.
Most new products come from my team. Some of the Big box modifications of regular products (like handle color changes) are committee driven.

Knomad,

Thanks for your kind words. Don't be afraid to ask questions or engage in discussion. That's what the forum is for.
We did a few stamp/logo changes to our product line over the last several years...going from stamping to laser etching, and then changing the logos/ blade info.
Some of the broken Khuks were legit, some not. Of course, the broken ones are immediately retrieved and exchanged. We always ask for the product to be returned; first to analyze the malfunction, secondly it helps to minimize the scammers. If they can't send the product back us...at our expense, or they don't have a good paper trail they are politely deep 6ed. Of course the outrage on the other end is immediate but it doesn't last too long.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Yes, that’s the one, it’s unforgettable in execution—if not a bit pricey on the website. I wish I had bought two of them at bladehq when they came out at about half msrp. I know I’ll never sharpen the one I have far enough down to require another one, it’s just that I wish I had bought a backup—it’s one of my favorite small fixed blades. Thanks for making thIs a reality!!!

Dave

Last edited:
Hi Twinstick,

Hope all is well. How is your family?
As Boggs says; we do offer exclusives to various distributors and Big Box stores. If what you see isn't exactly on our website, it typically must be bought at that particular store.
Get it there and it will probably be cheaper than getting an equivalent knife from our website.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Thanks Toooj, Family is well. Daughter was top of her class in the NY University Police Academy, then she quit......found out 4 months later why.......it seems during their training, they had different officers from different agency's, come in & "in her words" basically teach them on how to violate peoples rights & do endruns around the Constitution, by lying etc., to get people out of their vehicles & conduct warrant-less searches & other stuff along those lines. I raised my kids to be ever vigilant of their Constitutional & Civil Rights. I guess they were listening. I guess thats why we see so many instances of bad policing on the news these days. So anyways, she is back in College working on her Masters & maybe even a Doctorate Degree & working at SUNY Brockport right now. Our son got his Masters & is working at SUNY Oneonta. Wife & I are both retired now, money is tight but we are LOVING LIFE. I really hated my job at the end. Worst job on the planet IMHO.

Will be heading back there & re-evaluating those 2 blades & may add them to my stable, IDK.

Twinstick,

Good for your daughter. She was always pretty together. Good for you and your wife. Retirement is closer and closer for me. I'm holding out for 2-3 years until my son is well on the way out of college.
He started this year.
Glad you popped in. I remember your daughter so many years ago. I gave her a pink Dozier Folding Hunter and she gave it back because she wanted a black handled knife. LOL...She wasn't the pink kind of girl.

Treestalker,

If you mean the 498 with no bloodgroove and swedge that we did for Wally World; No probably not. That was done for them as an exclusive and it ran it's course.

Roguer,

All of the Bushcraft series are changed over to 420HC Stainless steel. You can probably still find some of the 5160 blades out there but you'll have to do some searching.

Hope all of this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Toooj,

Thanks for the reply! I managed to squeeze off an email to Ontario customer service, they replied as well. They pretty much confirmed it was a real one. I didn't get pics snapped, but I'll post some new ones in the pic thread sometime soon.

Meshach,

It is now being made in 420 HC.
We are trying to jump start that line and seeing if a lower price point will help.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company
I cant stop thinking about them in 5160! Any advice on how to go about getting one?

Back