Ask Toooj

Meshach...

Unfortunately you’ll need to contact dealers directly before purchasing since it appears many haven’t changed their descriptions.

That is very true. One place I contacted if it was 5160 or 420 HC SS said it was 5160. They changed the steel listing on it the day the knife shipped.

2nd vendor I tried they "Verified" it as 5160, but turned out 420 HC SS, turned out their store was over half way a cross the country from their warehouse. But they "Out of Stocked" 5160 Woodsman after I informed them of their "Error".

First one I got I determined a good hunk of 420 HC SS from OKC probably has a great process behind it and figured it can replace my CS Marauder in most water borne trips, it was on a sale for a steal for the steel so to speak. My second one was a sort of hope but I didn't have my hopes high knowing it probably was 420 HC SS, but then another non coated 420 HC SS knife I have a need for as big critter harvest time is soon upon us. The Laminated handles make them water proof enough and these two...if one don't get absconded with, will fill multiple roles of use and abuse where I don't have to strip any coatings on. So I already had important secondary roles for these 420 blades if the 5160s didn't pan out, for me that is. It sure is handy having them marked on the blade though.

That is very true. One place I contacted if it was 5160 or 420 HC SS said it was 5160. They changed the steel listing on it the day the knife shipped.

2nd vendor I tried they "Verified" it as 5160, but turned out 420 HC SS, turned out their store was over half way a cross the country from their warehouse. But they "Out of Stocked" 5160 Woodsman after I informed them of their "Error".

First one I got I determined a good hunk of 420 HC SS from OKC probably has a great process behind it and figured it can replace my CS Marauder in most water borne trips, it was on a sale for a steal for the steel so to speak. My second one was a sort of hope but I didn't have my hopes high knowing it probably was 420 HC SS, but then another non coated 420 HC SS knife I have a need for as big critter harvest time is soon upon us. The Laminated handles make them water proof enough and these two...if one don't get absconded with, will fill multiple roles of use and abuse where I don't have to strip any coatings on. So I already had important secondary roles for these 420 blades if the 5160s didn't pan out, for me that is. It sure is handy having them marked on the blade though.
Good to know, i wasn’t sure if they were marked with the steel type or not.

hi toooj , i found there are some thing new to me that sp10s with "ontario knife usa" on one side and "raider bowie sp10r"on the other side ,is it means that the sp10 is made of 1075 steel?

Dingy,

I will need pictures to be able to verify.
Please see the Service $ Support section of this forum to download pictures.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Two Quick Questions, Toooj.
I have an Aus 8 RAT 1.
1) Any chance I can buy a D2 blade (only) for it?

2) Where can I get a replacement pocket clip? I've misplaced the pocket clip, but not the screws.

Thanks

afishhunter,

I will check to see if we have any D2 Blades and pocket clips hanging around.
I'll be back to you in a bit.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Hey fishhunter,

There are no D2 blades but plenty of pocket clips.
You can call Customer Service or give me a call (800 222-5233 ext 123) with your address and I'll send the clip out to you (Screws too, if you need them)
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

T Toooj

I just noticed on OKC's website that the SP-43 is no longer listed, has it been discontinued ?

Also there are now only 3 models listed in the GEN II series, are the GEN II's being completely phased out... the last of the 5160 steel models ?

I believe you stated in a post sometime ago that OKC was heading in a different direction as to what type of knives they produced.

T Toooj

I just noticed on OKC's website that the SP-43 is no longer listed, has it been discontinued ?

Also there are now only 3 models listed in the GEN II series, are the GEN II's being completely phased out... the last of the 5160 steel models ?

I believe you stated in a post sometime ago that OKC was heading in a different direction as to what type of knives they produced.
I saw on some sites it said the sp50 was discontinued as well!

Hey Boru13,

Yes; The Gen IIs are slowly being phased out. Good designs but not too hot on sales. The later Spec Plus Models drifted from the original intent of Spec Plus and were vague in their intentions.
5160 and good blade shapes could not save them. Too bad.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Hey Boru13,

Yes; The Gen IIs are slowly being phased out. Good designs but not too hot on sales. The later Spec Plus Models drifted from the original intent of Spec Plus and were vague in their intentions.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Toooj,

A few questions about the SP Gen 2 series...

I know they were made with a different and higher quality production standard than knives before it, example:
" The Spec Plus GEN II series from Ontario was designed strictly for function. These full-tang, historically-basked knives are water jet cut from tough 5160 steel to deliver a durable, easy to sharpen edge"...

Was this higher standard always present with the Gen 2 series? In other words, were the Gen 2's made this way from the beginning until now with their ending?

Also, have any of these higher quality processes been put into place for the other knives made by Ontario, and/or will they be used for future Ontario knife series?

Thank you in advance :)

Last edited:
Hi Toooj,
I have read conflicting reports of the actual blade thickness of the the Old Hickory line.
Can you confirm the blade thickness of the butcher and skinner line please.
Some say that the 10"and 14"butcher have a thicker blade than the 7".
Thanks in advance.
Mick P

Hey Boru13,

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company
Thanks for the reply Toooj, not what I wanted to hear but unfortunately it was expected.

On the plus side, the day after your reply I ordered another SP-43 and two SP-53's... should be here tomorrow :)

Well I saw one for a great deal price so I had to get one after hearing that, I got enough I think that will last.

Hi Toooj,
I just picked up a Ka-bar 1211 and noticed that the handle is shorter than my old 1217.
Since both use the same guard and pommel,why don't they use the same blade blank?
I thought it would be easier and cheaper to make the rubber handle fit the tang length,then have a new die made for a shorter tang?
Am I missing something?
Any and all help much appreciated,
Regards Darryl

Darryl, Darryl, Darryl,

Wrong sub forum....But I'll answer your question anyway. What you say makes all the sense in the world. I wasn't there when Cutco/KA-BAR made that design and decision. But it is a bit more complicated than what you state. That rubber handle was originally made for the Next Generation KA-BAR knives. You may remember that those knives had a thicker guard that, in effect, shortened the handle length. Then the decision to make the 1211 came around, they opted to use the same handle. I would have done exactly what you said and I fought for many years to correct that situation but the higher ups didn't want to invest in a major tooling cost for a new handle mold and also ditch a good blanking die set. Sometimes the final product has more to do with manufacturing/financial concerns than the end user.
Now you know, as Paul Harvey used to say, the rest of the story.
Funny, I have the same type of fights at another company these days.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company.

Hi Toooj,
I knew it was the wrong sub forum,but wasn't sure if you still went to the Kabar one.
Thankyou very much for explaining this,very much appreciated.
Keep up the good work mate!:thumbsup:
Regards Darryl

Back