Asking for input/help on a WC user that needs TLC

bbk357

Gold Member
Hi guys, this is my first post here on the CRK forum.

Backstory- I carried an SNG for years, then a BM 940 for a few more years, got into traditional and on a whim (about 2 months ago) bought an umnumzaan here on the exchange. I was blown away by the function and quality.

Present time : I found a large sebenza 21 Wilson combat on another forum. It was a user- as description read “used but not a abused, will need to be sharpened”.

I received it and it was more rough than that.
Obvious funk and possibly rust on blade near pivot, multiple chips in blade. And more concerning- blade wobble when opened, and nearly 100% lock up. The blade nearly scrapes side when it’s shutting, and when you lay it down you can hear it hit the side like a vibration. The line up at the pivot looks off to me. I have not opened it and don’t plan to.

Obviously needs work.
I paid $360 for this.

I already contacted the service center and filled out a form. I messaged the seller and told him about the issues but said I usually don’t ask for refunds... he offered me one though.

My question is- would you guys keep it and hope that the service center gets it as close to new as possible? Thinking that $360 is a good deal for this...
Or take the refund.

I really like the looks of this thing and would love have one in good working shape. Seems to be a hard to find knife.

I’m mostly concerned about the blade rocking left to right and the lock up being nearly complete.

Pics:
Looks ok from here....
VRgJqOw.jpg

mMFKRWO.jpg

A closer look:
xraUaQg.jpg

9eZx9W1.jpg

kbz9h2r.jpg

Geometry just doesn’t looks straight:
pFgbcSP.jpg

HtgIlBE.jpg

Next to my wonderful umnumzaan:
MeJJIUA.jpg

MRJXr3h.jpg

6QHZ1mb.jpg

Last edited:
I would never have bought that knife ... especially at that price ... but I would return it get your refund and look for another ... or save just a bit more and buy direct from WC for just about $100.00 more.

just my 2 cents ...

I think they are $550 new... and sold out of the large 21.

Thanks for the input. The more I look at the pics the more I’m leaning toward refund.

I would not keep the knife, too many issues for the price. IMO, if a person neglects basic maintenance like allowing rust to form on S35VN then the rest of the knife has been neglected and will be more costly to make it right. You'd have to remove quite a bit of metal to remove the chips. More than I'd want to.
WC 21's do come up here from time to time. I bought one from here in way better condition for 400.00, I'd start looking here for one.

Price may have gone up with CRKs price increases ... last I looked WC had a few left but may be out now ...

I looked now ... it says Expected on : 11/29/2019

and that may not happen with the 21 being discontinued ... but they may still have some 21s coming ... it sounded like CPK had a lot of 21s to go through before the switch over to the 31 when it was announced.

the knife in your pictures looks completely abused and no maintenance at all ... and I wouldn't pay half that for that knife ... but that's me ... only you know what it's worth to you

Not to pile on....

As a refund was offered I would return the knife. CRK can restore the knife however you can likely find one that represents a better value (not sure if yours has box and COA etc)

Thanks for the input guys.

Yes it did come with box and a few extra lanyards, birth certificate from 2011.

Guess I’m worried that I’ll have the same frame with 100% lockup and blade wobble unless I have to pay for all new parts...

I’m pretty set on refund now. Unless someone who has had one this beat can say they sent it in and it came back a new knife with minimal money put into service.

Last edited:
If in your position the first thing I would do is take it apart and give it a good clean up. It looks as though this Seb has never been disassembled and given any kind of maintenance. A good wipe down, rust remover, and lube the washers. If put together correctly, when you get the blade half way open, a wrist flick(yes the only time the dreaded wrist flick is appropriate)the rest of the way to reset the lock bar may also improve the lock up.

As for the edge, a good amount of time sharpening it could take care of it, or a simple send in to CRK for a sharpening job (from what I remember, $25 or so) would get those chips out.

All is not lost and you got yourself a good Sebenza for a decent deal. The poor thing looks as though it's just never been given any TLC.

Just my .02

So I called crk service center and now my decision is a bit harder.

Basically everything could be covered by them. She said If it has been modified that it wouldn’t but that is not the case here.

I asked if knives with 100% lock up ever come back to the customer and she said that could possibly make it unsafe so no. So that could that could be covered as well.

More thinking to do.

So I called crk service center and now my decision is a bit harder.

Basically everything could be covered by them. She said If it has been modified that it wouldn’t but that is not the case here.

I asked if knives with 100% lock up ever come back to the customer and she said that could possibly make it unsafe so no. So that could that could be covered as well.

More thinking to do.

Pretty sure the most they can do on the blade is grind out the chips, and you will loose material doing so. They could replace the blade, but that will cost. Though they may not have said so, if the lock travel is due to abuse, it likely would not be covered.
I would take the sure route and the refund and get a better example to start out with, but CRK will definitely do their best

Fifth picture down shows a washer being pinched. That's why you're rocking side to side and might be why your lockup is funky. Take out the pivot, realign bushing and washer and reassemble, things might get much better.

I agree, I’d take a peek inside

yeah they definitely messed something up with the washers or pivot bushing. the left side of the pivot has a big gap compared to the right side in the 5th and 6th pictures. This isn't just a user, it was treated like crap- send it back and get a refund for sure

If a refund has been offered just take the refund . Pick up another one . It never fails. Just when you decide to send it in and wait for it to come back another one comes up for sale and it's the same price or just a bit more in Lot better shape. If you waited this long a little bit longer is not gonna kill you.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback folks, I appreciate it.

As much as I wanted to keep it I just had a bad feeling and worried i would end up putting too much money into it.

Sent it back today, hope the guy refunds like he said. He doesn’t seem too pleased that I am sending it back and told me “it’s still a great knife”.
I told him I agree but it needs work, and I sent him the pics of some of the issues.
:eek:

Back