Aspect ratio in monitors

guys hi
i realise this aint a blade related question so forgive
my transgression but which would give me the bigger
viewing area on a new monitor im getting 16.9 or 16.10
(aint got the brains to work it out for myself)

mods if its innapropreate post please delete if nessassary
all the best mick

Just think of it as a ratio of length by height. The 16.10 would be larger, in my mind, but I'm no expert.

The size of your screen will dictate your viewing area. The 16:9, 16:10 has to do with the layout of the screen as dictated by the horizontal pixels in relation to the vertical pixels, and thus width in relation to height. The 16:10 would be slightly higher than a 16:9 in viewing area. With trim, stand and whatever else it come packaged with you probably couldn't tell the difference between the two. Wikipedia page on 16:10 shows that the industry went away from this ratio if favor of 16:9 in 2008. AVS Forum may have more detailed info, also.

thanks for the answer guys i presume then that films in the 16.9 ratio would leave a slight
black border on the top and bottom of the screen if at all in the 16.10 ratio which aint a
problem for me just curious as to which was bigger

thanks everyone mick

oh stickfred
its a 22 inch acer monitor (1680x1050 )

Ratio this ratio what?

Meh, I simply unhooked the tv from downstairs and brought it to my "man cave", hooked it up to my computer and voila, 40 inch monitor. :p

hi olde wolf
now youve got me thinking? just how dose that work
the wife,s just bought a new 32 inch flatscreen tv
(oh man she,s gonna kill me if she knows what im thinking of doing):grumpy:

Look on the back of that 32", does it have a PC input? You should see those two threaded holes on each side. Some newer computers have a slightly different type of output, I think it's digital, and has a similar looking cable, but it's not the same.
If it can hook up, just do it. When you turn your TV input to PC, you may not see it right away, just re-start the computer. When it comes back on, you may need to changed the resolution size (control panel/screen size). I also had to change that size through my TV's menu, so they were both the same.

There should also be a audio in, next to the monitor cable input on the TV, it's just a 1/8" stereo jack. Or maybe you have other speakers? Good luck.

As a professional geek the best answer is look at the same stuff on both monitors and see which looks better to YOU! Just as with knives, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, so it is with viewing in a monitor. When it comes to monitors, I don't shop by the numbers, I shop with my eyes: there may be other factors that will make one choice a standout.

hi mitch
one of the reasons i was asking about this monitor was im used to
15 to 17 inch monitors i just didnt know what to expect with a large 22inch one
cheers mick

Last edited:
most of the difference between 17" (4:3) and 22" (16:9) will be going to widen the display rather than in increasing the height, so you may not notice much when you are close to it, like with a PC. there would be even less difference between 16:10 & the more standard 16:9. the more expensive ones have narrower frame borders around the outside which makes them look bigger & more trendy.

a 17" 4:3 monitor would have a screen 13.6" wide by 10.2" high

a 22" 16:9 monitor would have a screen 19.2" wide by 10.8" high

an online aspect ratio calculator: LINKY

p.s. - the funny cable (not the vga old-style one) to connect between a pc and a HD TV is an HDMI cable:

View attachment 263612

Last edited:
depending on your tv's settings, it may give you the choice if what you're watching is not 16:10 native (or it may just pick one and you get to live with it):
1 - stretch to fit. you prob won't notice 16:9 stretched too much, but stretching 4:3 (standard definition) will look funny. some tv's were fancy where they slightly strech the middle alone and stretched the sides more which still looked funny, but not as bad.
2 - keep the native format and leave black bars. this is like watching a letterbox movie on tv in the 80's and 90's (but the bars would be on the sides). my aunt always complained that letterbox "cut off everyone's feet".

imo, the deciding factor between 16:9 vs 16:10 would prob be price and picture quality. you prob won't notice the diff between a few inches, although my wife may beg to differ ;-)

Last edited:
well guys
the 22 inch monitor im now using has the 16.10 ratio and what a fantastic
screen it is too first class picture and no cut off any where cracking colours
and when playing games i can see items ive missed before..

Glad you're enjoying your new monitor. It is amazing what a better quality monitor can bring out.

Back