Assistance in getting better retention in leather sheath

just made this knife and leather sheath. The retention is not there like I’d hoped after wet forming, is there any way I can get it nice and snug? Do I need to extend the stitching? Knife feels loose like a hotdog thrown down a hallway. Any help is appreciated thanks.

If its that loose I'd probably start over. Your knife there would work well with my variation of the Loveless welt. Have a look at sticky on the tutorial I did on pancake sheaths and you can see the welt from the inside and how it should interact with the knife.

I agree with Mr. Horsewright. Provided you have the leather, you will be much happier. Looks like you're on your way to building a lot more sheaths anyway!

Dave took the words right outta my mouth, but I'd also like to add that you might want to extend your welt all the way to the mouth of the sheath. It appears your retention is mainly taken on by the handle. Imaging holding that knife between your fingers at the fingertips, then grab it with your whole hand, much stiffer.
I use a Loveless cam when I need a little more than just molded retention, beware though, one of them done with a little more height than needed can totally refuse to let the knife seat. I have a wood carving tool that I use to fine tune the cam.

Yep indeed. I use a rat tail file. Too tight and having to file a bit to get er right is better than too loose.

Thanks! I redid this sheath once and am not afraid to do it again so I will give it another go! This is my third leather sheath so practice it is! Where can I find the tutorials? During the making of this sheath my intent was to bring the stitching up all the way but halfway through changed my mind. Though this would help in inserting the knife but appears I lost all retention.

Just so you know: heat shrinks leather.
I've made sheaths extra tight by blowing hot air from a paint stripper over and in to it.
Don't overdo or burn it

Thanks horsewright! BTW I just stuck the knife through the sheath and cut it in half.. no more worrying about this one haha. I started a new one with the welt retention like said above. Sheath is made I just need to wet form tonight and see how it comes out!

Thanks! Shake it pretty hard upside down and it stays in, but still pretty easy removing it from the sheath while attached on the belt

Back